X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never would have pictured you on a ferry, Pakarang...but you DO have a point ..

ps- I like the Easter egg and chick!

Comment

Thank you for all the great pictures. I do not know why I like the ones showing the bow opening best. I think I like anything with mechanical bits in motion.

Comment

Sometimes a ferry needs overhaulin' and here's "Bolsøy" at Kristiansund Mech.

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder. I love the pictures of the ferry out of the water.

I have never seen hydraulic "clamps" or supports to hold the ship upright. It makes sense. I just wonder why you do not see them everywhere.

Comment

I just wonder why you do not see them everywhere.
            They are very common here in Norway, and of course mostly with shipyards that spesialice in ship repair.

If you look closely in the lower left corner of my first picture, you'll see smaller hydraulic clamps for smaller vessels....
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Car ferry "Kvaløy" who are going between Mikkelvik(Ringvassøy) and Bromnes (Rebbenesøy) about 95 km north from Tromsø.

Nearly docked at Mikkelvik.A few cars and people go ashore on this nice Good friday.

Ships info about "KVALØY"
              Ship nr: 235
              Ship Name: "KVALØY "
              Ship Type: Ferries
              Call signal: LFVQ
              Year built: 1977
              IMO number: 8875504
              Primary communication: 935 F - Mikkelvik-Bromnes
              Gross Tonnage: 180
              Length: 31.50
              Progress Power: 368 kW
              Trading pass.sert.: 2
              Passenger Number: 85
              PBE: 11
              Biggest Draft: 2
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you so very much Bengt. Great seeing more of those vessels in the upper North. Thank you for taking the time.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Boknafjord between Hareid and Sulesund. She is now borrowed from Stavangerske AS (I have also heard that Tide Sjø has bought her) for a while when the Tidefjord is at the drydocks for a couple of weeks. She will also be there when the other ferry Tidesund is at the drydocks.

Boknafjord:
                  Ex. Austrheim -1995
                  Ex. Bjørnefjord - 2001
                  Built in 1986 at Trønderverftet, Hommelvik
                  3692 GT
                  86,24 meters long
                  15,5 meters wide

"I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
                  Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

It just struck me, Norway must be one of the largest ferry countries in the world. I don't think there are many countries which comes even close to the number we have in service in these fjords and seas....

Maybe Finland has a high number?
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by TNAalesund View Post
                      Boknafjord between Hareid and Sulesund. She is now borrowed from Stavangerske AS (I have also heard that Tide Sjø has bought her)

Tide cannot buy what they already own
                      Tide Sjø is owned by Stavangerske, so all HSD and Stavangerske ferries are the properties of Tide Sjø
                      View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        This is an old ferry, which I'm not sure is still alive or not: her name was Vågan and on this image, she sailed under the house flag of Vesterålens Dampskipsselskap (Steamshipcompany).

Photo from Vesterålens Dampskipsselskap
                        MF "VÅGAN" is still alive. Sailing Svolvær-Skutvik (Lofoten-Hamarøy in Nordland) this winter. At least she was sailig the day a was a passanger. And according to an.no (Avisa Nordland), she will be sailing this summer-season together with MF STETIND.

Comment

Ferry on the rocks

What, who the **** moved the ferry wharf???

Comment

Singapore Ferries

Here is a ferry of a type previously used to carry lorries to and from the Refineries on Pulau Bukom and other Islands off mainland Singapore.
                            Now trading containers on trucks across Singapore Strait, to/from Batam Island, Indonesia.

And here is the replacement on the Pu.Bukom run. (Soon to be replaced by an underwater tunnel)

Several of the other refinery islands has been joined into the large Jurong Island, which is connected to the mainland by a causeway.

Comment

This is one of Wightlinks ro ro ferries that serve the Portsmouth - Fishbourne route (Fishbourne Isle of Wight). This is the 'St Faith' just heading into the Fishbourne terminal.

And here she is docked but with the bow ramp still up. I would have stopped to take some pictures of her unloading, but as i had to catch this ferry i had to get back to my car to present my ticket to the staff member that was rapidly approaching my car in the Que!

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

On the crossing back to the mainland we passed the 'St Clare'. She also serves the same route but is much newer than other vessels that serve the route.

Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X