Baltic sea ferries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltic sea ferries

This little thread is dedicated to ferries operating in the Baltic sea.

Viking Lines m/s Amorella inbound from Turku to Stockholm.

Very dark and some rain in the air.

Re: Baltic sea ferries

Amorellas sister ship m/s Isabella outbound from Stockholm, next port of call is Mariehamn.

Tallink-Siljas m/s Silja Europa follows on the same route.

I don't think I've seen her clean and fixed up during whole 2011.

Some window reflections caught on film just in the right time, a lucky shot.

Comment

Viking Lines m/s Mariella has been on the Stockholm-Helsinki route since 1985 and is one of the classic ferries of the Baltic.

The Globe arena in the background.

Comment

m/s Viking Cinderella is running 22 hours cruises between Stockholm - Mariehamn. Beeing a cruiser, she was built as a ferry, so she can technically be considered as one.

Pretty? Nah, in my opinion she was better in the traditional Viking blue/red/white-colors.

Comment

great images Tommi, against the darknis with al those lights

but there are cars driving of of ''cinderella''.and trucks are waiting,so she still in use as a ferry
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Great idea for a thread to bring these ships together Tommi. I’m sure I should have a few photos to contribute somewhere or other….but mustn’t get distracted just when I’m about to start looking out our Autumn Cruise ones!!!!!!!!
            Oh and I enjoyed those glimpses of the Stockholm skyline too….more delightful distractions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              great images Tommi, against the darknis with al those lights but there are cars driving of of ''cinderella''.and trucks are waiting,so she still in use as a ferry
              Well she is marketed as a cruise ship, but was apparently built as a car ferry. There is a possibility to park you car on the car deck if you are going for a cruise. I also believe that they transport some roro-freight between Stockholm Mariehamn. The handling of supplies and waste is also done by the car deck.

Cecilia, there might be some more Stockholm skylines coming up within short somewhere on this forum...

Comment

Great idea for a thread Tommi.

Just as a starter from me, how about Silja Europa?

Oh - and I agree - Viking boats should be red, not white!!
                Last edited by PoloUK; December 31st, 2011, 12:33.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Talking about red and white ships, these two ships, Gabriella (the third of the Split sisters) and Silja Europa have both been white and red.

The Silja Europa was originally built at Meyer verft for Myrsten shipping for Viking Line's traffic Stockholm - Helsinki. Due to the bad financial situation during the early 90's, Myrstens bank, which also had some major interests in Silja Line, withdraw their credits and the ship was leased to Silja Line. Quickly the red hull was painted white before she left the yard.

Gabriella on the other side was leased by Silja from Euroway for two years as the Silja Scandinavia before she was sold to Viking and repainted as the red hulled Gabriella.

Comment

How about Opera - and some rather thick water?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Fast boat drill on Silja Symphony on the approach to Stockholm on an idyllic summer morning June 2009 - not like today!!

And Viking on the berth in Stockholm February 2005 in very different weather. (Gabriella I think Tommi? I can only see 'ella'!!).

Definitely Gabriella this time - at the other end, waiting for departure from Helsinki.

Last edited by PoloUK; December 31st, 2011, 16:35.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

A few more to add to the collection.

On Silja Symphony - a true cruise ferry.

Although why on earth would you want this with views outside like this:

The wing bridge looks like a sculpture from this angle (can't see the tomatoes growing up there from this angle though!).

Passing the vessel Sea Wind, cargo only from Turku.

In stunningly pretty Helsinki, Mariella is on the berth with a great view of some of the sights. (A summer version of Tommi's Post #3).

And the Linda Line Fast Ferry is departing for Tallinn.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

A couple more Silja Symphony shots.

Anyone else out there? I'm getting a little lonely posting on this thread - and I think Tommi had come up with a great idea in starting it!

Do we also count the Travemunde / Trelleborg, Sassnitz, Rødby / Puttgarten etc as Baltic Ferries? Antias posted a great Funnel on that thread from 'Peter Pan' this evening.
                          Last edited by PoloUK; January 14th, 2012, 00:08.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Wow, those photos remind me of my trips aboard Serenade between Helsinki and Stockholm. It was early winter though so there were no pretty views outside. I recall it was dark entering and leaving port at both ends. It really takes me back. My first trip to Europe and there all by myself for three weeks. A bit overwheliming at first with the language and fish for breakfast but what a wonderful trip.

Comment

Fish for breakfast!!

Just part of the charm!
                              Last edited by PoloUK; January 14th, 2012, 13:57.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X