"I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
    Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Enthusiastically regards
      Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Those videos are incredible. I am surprised there are not more accidents, but I suppose we have several thousand years experience building and launching ships.

Comment

Could never be confortable with the sideway launching, but I'm very glad I did get to see with my own eyes several launches from Sterkoder Ship Yard.
          (I grew up 200 meters from the yard, and we often used it as a playground after school...., or rather after the workers left at 4 PM in the afternoon.
          You know, I feel lucky to have lived the time of no ISPS, gates, security and tall fences....).

And what in the heavens name was that sausage-launch in the first movie...?? Never seen that before...

EDIT:
          By the way, I remember having a picture of Sterkoder Ship Yard in my arcives. So, here's my childhood playground, with our house (the yellow one) in the upper right corner. The huge building also in the upper right corner is my school.
          So as you see, not far from anything..., our house was....
          Last edited by Sterkoder; January 12th, 2009, 23:51.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSOL...eature=related

Enthusiastically regards
            Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL-oVUmy6S0&NR=1

Enthusiastically regards
              Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uye4s...eature=related

Enthusiastically regards
                Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_GW...eature=related

Enthusiastically regards
                  Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

First of all; NOW I understand the sideway-launch. One can have ship yards in places where there's almost no water...
                    Second; It goes cold down my back when I see that launch from Netherland, the one with the capsizing ship.
                    We had that experience at Sterkoder Ship Yard once back in 1996, when a ship turned completely upside-down.
                    I'm ashamed to say, as of this moment tonight, that I don't recall the name of the ship, but I'm over 50% sure it was "Heralden".
                    This was one of three ro-ro ships for Finland, the other two being "Transgard" (also 1996) and "Serenaden" (1998).
                    Here's a picture I took when they turned the hull upright.

And this is what they looked like upon delivery. This is "Serenaden"

If you want to Google the three ships to learn more, their name today are "Auto Baltic" (Transgard), "Auto Bay" (Heralden) and "Auto Bank" (Serenaden).
                    As you might understand, they are all rebuilt to car carriers.
                    Sorry for the bad quality on pictures, and for maybe going a bit off-topic (I'm an expert), but I felt this was a bit interesting, at least to me...

Comment

WWWHHHEEEEEE!! That was FUN!!!! What a wild ride those sideways launches must be! What happened on the last one???

Comment

What happened on the last one???
                        I suspect miscalculation of weight and balance, as is often the case when hulls that are launched capsize.
                        This is something that happens very, very seldom and in Sterkoder Ship Yards history, I only recall this one time....
                        (Ref. pictures at page 1 of this thread).

What's more irritating is that the guy who filmed this, categorized the film under "Comedy".... :-(
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; January 14th, 2009, 15:38.

Comment

Enthusiastically regards
                          Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Enthusiastically regards
                            Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Enthusiastically regards
                              Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

Working...
                              X