Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Canadian ships (featured in post #102 above) were not the only visitors to Leith’s Western Harbour last Saturday. Following a NATO exercise off the coast of Scotland, there were two submarines of the Royal Norwegian Navy !

S300 is Ula, seen here nearer the quay. The other is S303, Utvær.
    I heard that they were commissioned in 1989 and 1990 respectively, have diesel-electric propulsion, and are used for coastal operations where their small size – just less than 60m length – is an advantage.

Here are the submarines next to the Royal Yacht Britannia.

Finally, a couple of views that I took during the tour of HMCS Athabaskan.

Note for Sterkoder: The last photo was hurriedly snapped as the tour group emerged briefly on deck, and it is only now that I realise there is something BIG in the distance, beyond Britannia. Perhaps it is K&A SE that you mentioned – I’d surely have seen it if it had been there after lunch, so maybe it arrived while I was in the queue for ship visit. Shouldn’t have been in such a rush for the bus afterwards!!

Comment

She looks nice and clean... or 'pretty' maybe...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

What a fantastic picture, Bengt!!!! I'm just looking and looking and looking...

Cecilia:
        I can't tell from the picture what's behind the former royal yacht, but thank you so much for your report with the RNoN subs!!
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Submarine "Uthaug" was docked in Sandnessjøen today

Comment

Originally posted by Helgeland View Post
            Submarine "Uthaug" was docked in Sandnessjøen today
            In the first image, the submarine seems to be floating very light in the water. I would guess that the two 'doors' we see in the bow would be the two upper torpedo tubes.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I find it odd to see an active navy submarine tied up to a dock next to civilian vessels. I expect to see armed security guards and the public kept 500 meters away.

Comment

For the last two hours, I've been diving down in my archives and scanning pictures. Most of them are taken with a Cosina CT-1A and some with an old AgfaMatic of some sort.
                My scanned pictures will be spread in propriate threads throughout the CV forum.
                Here's the first one, the USS "Iwo Jima", when she partisipated in a NATO exercise in the early 1990s. Unusual sight near our summer house in Tingvoll.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  I find it odd to see an active navy submarine tied up to a dock next to civilian vessels. I expect to see armed security guards and the public kept 500 meters away.
                  Norway is a rather laid back country I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    For the last two hours, I've been diving down in my archives and scanning pictures. Most of them are taken with a Cosina CT-1A and some with an old AgfaMatic of some sort.
                    My scanned pictures will be spread in propriate threads throughout the CV forum.
                    Here's the first one, the USS "Iwo Jima", when she partisipated in a NATO exercise in the early 1990s. Unusual sight near our summer house in Tingvoll.
                    Oh.... tell us the truth now: they really came out to your summer house to pay their Norwegian secret agent their most sincere respects...

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      Oh.... tell us the truth now: they really came out to your summer house to pay their Norwegian secret agent their most sincere respects...
                      And you just had to blow the secret..., huh....??!!??

(Hahahahahahaha)

Seriously, I was a bit surpriced when that one came in the fjord, because this picture is taken in Ålvundfjord and Vågbø area...., and for anyone who knows where, that's a highly unusual place for such a vessel. But when they first came, I'm glad it was with the "Iwo Jima". As interested as I am in early day space flights, it was a thrill to see the ship on which deck the three astronauts from Apollo 13 sat foot after being picked up from their stricken capsule....
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 6th, 2009, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                        Maybe so in the US of A but Norway is still fairly "innocent" when it comes to port security, although they have been forced to comply with the new ISPS rules on board civilian ships in international trade.

The new Port Security Rules, forced through IMO by USA after 9/11, also require setting up fences around wharfs where Cruise ships and other "targets" are docking, much to the detriment of the ambiance for those who used to stroll freely along the quaysides, looking at the ships and boats.

In "my days" on MTBs in the Norwegian Navy we were only required to have armed guard on the wharf when north of a certain line, which was somewhere in Troms County. (Within the 900 Km. "security zone" around the Soviet Main Base in Murmansk)

South of there the guard carried an old Mauser, which - if fired - would probably have been more danger to him than anybody else. Luckily with no ammunition available.

Comment

HMS Daring D32, an air defence destroyer, was in Leith’s Western harbour today, 22nd November 2009.
                          Commissioned in July this year and based in Portsmouth, she was launched in 2006 on the Clyde.
                          The design is intended to give a low radar cross section – stealth features.

Comment

What a strange looking vessel.....

Comment

France shows off cutting-edge navy ship in Russia

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia – A cutting-edge French warship sailed into St. Petersburg Monday to show off its capabilities to potential buyers in the Russian navy, whose pursuit of an amphibious assault capacity is frightening some neighboring countries.>>>>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_france_navy_ship

Comment

Navy ships in Trondheim about a week ago:

Comment

Working...
                                X