X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Russian subs:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahaha......, that first one there looks like Big S after a huge bacalao dinner with beer and aquavit.....

Nice pictures, by the way....! (I take it they're not from your camera though).
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

tic tic tic tic....hear these nuclear time bombs....really don't want to know what all is ticking up there in the northern russian ports.
        Rusty and rotten.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          I take it they're not from your camera though).
          From my Russian undercover contact...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

CGV "Senja" and CGV "Harstad" had a connection this morning

Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

A nearly perfect picture (just that one "K" is missing!)

Which will be stronger and lead the direction?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

SHV-102 "Hvasser" and SHV-103 "Hekkingen" in Sandnessjoen today

Comment

Originally posted by Helgeland View Post
                  SHV-102 "Hvasser" and SHV-103 "Hekkingen" in Sandnessjoen today
                  Anyone know what kind of top speed these vessel can produce?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    Anyone know what kind of top speed these vessel can produce?
                    I think the top speed is about 40 knots
                    Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                      I think the top speed is about 40 knots

I think you're right that they do a top speed of 40 knots

Comment

The Swiss Navy on exersise:

Comment

At the end of last week, I heard (only just in time to plan a day out!) that two Canadian naval ships would be docked in Leith, Edinburgh, and, in connection with celebrations of cultural links between Canada and Scotland, would be open to the public.

Here is a view of the Western harbour taken from Ocean Terminal (where I’ve found a new viewpoint from the upper floors of the car park!), showing the 5,100 tonne destroyer HMCS Athabaskan in the foreground, and the 3,995 tonne frigate HMCS Halifax.

HMCS Halifax, (FFH 330) a multi-role patrol frigate.

It was HMCS Athabaskan (DDG 282) that was open for visits on Saturday afternoon. Quite a long queue, but worth the wait!
                          She is an Iroquois class (sometimes referred to as Tribal class) air defence destroyer, commissioned in 1972. Following a refit in 1994 she was reclassified from Destroyer Helicopter (DDH) to Destroyer Guided Missile (DDG).

Comment

The Phalanx CIWS (Close-in weapon system ) – a radar guided 20mm swivel mounted gun.

Its distinctively shaped radome can be seen from this viewpoint in the Ocean Terminal building. However I was just as, if not more, interested in the QFH antenna (down and to the right).

A Quadrifilar Helix antenna has twisted elements - I was once involved in building one from plumbing 8mm copper piping! Although the one on the ship could be used for Orbcomm, I think it’s more likely to be for VHF APT reception on the 137MHz weather satellite band.

Continuing on a tour of the ship -

The door on the left leads to the operations room – no, not included in the tour!

Being a Canadian ship, there were notices in French as well as English.

Had to photograph the call sign! - and the post-it note “back in 5 minutes”!!! – shouldn’t take me that long to post my final instalment of this report!

Comment

Photos of the bridge:

The crest on the tiled floor of the bridge depicts a North American Indian of the tribe after which the ship is named.

View of the stern of the Halifax

Athabaskan has a two bay hangar, but was just carrying one Sea King helicopter at this time. Not easy to photograph in a confined space, but I’ll put it in the helicopter thread later, and leave you here with a view of the deck.

Comment

Great report, Cecilia!!! Thank you so much for those images, specially those interior ones!

Did you take pictures of some of the other vessels moored in the Leith area..?
                                Such as the law inforcement vessel "Hirta"...., russian cargo vessel "Dimitriy Pozharskiy" (outer dock)..., the huge "K&E SE"...., "Seawell" and "Normand Tonjer"...??
                                Guess you could spot them from somewhere around Ocean Drive..
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X