Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of last week, I heard (only just in time to plan a day out!) that two Canadian naval ships would be docked in Leith, Edinburgh, and, in connection with celebrations of cultural links between Canada and Scotland, would be open to the public.

Here is a view of the Western harbour taken from Ocean Terminal (where I’ve found a new viewpoint from the upper floors of the car park!), showing the 5,100 tonne destroyer HMCS Athabaskan in the foreground, and the 3,995 tonne frigate HMCS Halifax.

HMCS Halifax, (FFH 330) a multi-role patrol frigate.

It was HMCS Athabaskan (DDG 282) that was open for visits on Saturday afternoon. Quite a long queue, but worth the wait!
    She is an Iroquois class (sometimes referred to as Tribal class) air defence destroyer, commissioned in 1972. Following a refit in 1994 she was reclassified from Destroyer Helicopter (DDH) to Destroyer Guided Missile (DDG).

Comment

The Phalanx CIWS (Close-in weapon system ) – a radar guided 20mm swivel mounted gun.

Its distinctively shaped radome can be seen from this viewpoint in the Ocean Terminal building. However I was just as, if not more, interested in the QFH antenna (down and to the right).

A Quadrifilar Helix antenna has twisted elements - I was once involved in building one from plumbing 8mm copper piping! Although the one on the ship could be used for Orbcomm, I think it’s more likely to be for VHF APT reception on the 137MHz weather satellite band.

Continuing on a tour of the ship -

The door on the left leads to the operations room – no, not included in the tour!

Being a Canadian ship, there were notices in French as well as English.

Had to photograph the call sign! - and the post-it note “back in 5 minutes”!!! – shouldn’t take me that long to post my final instalment of this report!

Comment

Photos of the bridge:

The crest on the tiled floor of the bridge depicts a North American Indian of the tribe after which the ship is named.

View of the stern of the Halifax

Athabaskan has a two bay hangar, but was just carrying one Sea King helicopter at this time. Not easy to photograph in a confined space, but I’ll put it in the helicopter thread later, and leave you here with a view of the deck.

Comment

Great report, Cecilia!!! Thank you so much for those images, specially those interior ones!

Did you take pictures of some of the other vessels moored in the Leith area..?
          Such as the law inforcement vessel "Hirta"...., russian cargo vessel "Dimitriy Pozharskiy" (outer dock)..., the huge "K&E SE"...., "Seawell" and "Normand Tonjer"...??
          Guess you could spot them from somewhere around Ocean Drive..
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

No, nothing else in the “spottable” locations on Saturday. Looking at the AIS right now, I see that Hirta is more or less where the Halifax was, and K&A SE would now be seen from the extension to Ocean Drive (where there is a pedestrian path and a couple of seats and picnic tables). But everything else, certainly everything in the outer harbour, is obscured by buildings, and some roads you see on the map are in the port area with no public access.

There was talk of eventually opening up much of the port area in connection with building a new cruise terminal, and part of the new tram route was to extend there, but in the current economic situation and with cut backs to the horrendously expensive tram works, I doubt if that will now happen, or at least no time soon. The Western Harbour has locks at the entrance as the Forth estuary is tidal, so that is a limit on ship size, which is why larger cruise ships go to Rosyth or to where QM2 was on Saturday at South Queensferry, if you saw that post.

I have nearly an hour on the bus from where I am at the moment, or half an hour from my flat in town, and half an hour from town in the opposite direction to Queensferry, so shipspotting trips are not really “spur of the moment” outings!

But I did see something else in Western Harbour on my busy Saturday, which will be the next thing to post after the Sea Kings!

No rushing around for you at the moment - take care with that knee Sterkoder, and I sincerely hope that no more extensive damage is found tomorrow.

Comment

Stunning new navy report! The images are incredibly interesting to see because of their overall great quality and size. Naturally, super sharp as always from you!

So many great views and details - and you cleverly captured them. I guess I'm not the only photographer here... you are another one of them!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

No rushing around for you at the moment - take care with that knee Sterkoder, and I sincerely hope that no more extensive damage is found tomorrow.
                Nope, I can assure you...., I'll be sitting here in my sofa with the hole wide world in my lap
                There are so much to take pictures of here now with nice weather and good strong sunny light, but on the other hand, not too many vessels in harbour.
                I can easily exceed my bandwidth on Photobucket now, so I don't know how much I can use it every month.
                No problem though, my bandwidth will be reset on 22nd every month.
                My point is...., don't expect too many pictures from me in this time of bad knee and bad bandwidth with Photobucket

Anyone know another good free place to store pictures to use in a forum like Photobucket...????

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  Anyone know another good free place to store pictures to use in a forum like Photobucket...????
                  If you have several different e-mails, you could do as I do: open several free accounts at Photobucket... I think I have some 4 or 5 accounts by now. All I have to remember is to log in to all of them at certain occasions so that they are kept "alive".

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    If you have several different e-mails, you could do as I do: open several free accounts at Photobucket... I think I have some 4 or 5 accounts by now. All I have to remember is to log in to all of them at certain occasions so that they are kept "alive".
                    Ok, thank you..., good tips! (It suddenly dawns on me that you told me this about a year ago...).
                    I have one more e-mail adress, plus a mailadress at work connected to my employer. (Wonder if I can use that one..., belive I can...?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Ok, thank you..., good tips! (It suddenly dawns on me that you told me this about a year ago...).
                      I have one more e-mail adress, plus a mailadress at work connected to my employer. (Wonder if I can use that one..., belive I can...?)
                      Yes, you can... any e-mail would do, as long as you still can use the address.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        The Swiss Navy on exersise:
                        Swiss Navy????????

(asks the naive American blonde.....)

Comment

I thought so too..., before..., but Switzerlan is infact connected to the oceans via Rhein river, and the capital Basel being an important harbour city in the world. Over 30 ship companies got their main office in Basel.
                          But I agree, it sound strange..., Swiss Navy.

Comment

To be correct: this is not called a navy.

The Swiss army has a "Motorbootkompanie (Mot Boot Kp)"

This troup
                            • assists the frontier troops on the lakes, which have frontiers, as Lake Constance, Lake Geneva and Lake Maggiore
                            • does the ordinary control on the lakes
                            • controls ships, which enter Swiss waters
                            • gets news and does radar control
                            The Motorbootkompanie is an independent unit

Source:
                            http://www.motbootkp.ch/index.php?show=16&sub=14

...there are always rumours about secret troops of the Swiss army. One of the most famous rumours is that they have an own submarine.

But a true secret is: They Swiss mountains have as much holes as Swiss cheese. Fighting a war on Swiss territory would show, that they will defend as European Talibans.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ralf, you are a gold mine of Information!!! I had no idea the neutral Swiss were prepared to protected their neutrality!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                                Ralf, you are a gold mine of Information!!! I had no idea the neutral Swiss were prepared to protected their neutrality!!!
                                To be neutral doesn't mean to be unarmed. On the contrary, Switzerland and Sweden are still among the heaviest armed countries in Europe, and among the biggest weapons suppliers and developers. They both came through WWII without being attacked by either side for that reason.

Neutral Norway on the other hand, was occupied because they had a weak defence. Norway could just as easily have ended up on the wrong side of the war, depending on who attacked first. (UK had planned to attack as well)

Finland did so due to the Soviet invasion in 1939. They paid a heavy price after the war as well, in the form of war reprisals to the Soviets, who had attacked them in the first place!! Doesn't sound fair? Who said world politics is supposed to be fair?

How did Norway end up being in a union with Sweden? Because Denmark was on the wrong side in the Napolionic war and Norway was under Danish rule. Sweden was rewarded for being on the right side by the winners, who make the rules.

PS. I have to remember to use icons to indicate my intentions with posts.
                                (Swiss Navy)

Comment

Working...
                                X