Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HNLMS F 804 DE RUYTER during approach Den Helder.

Comment

HNLMS S 802 WALRUS entering Den Helder.

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely my favourite from among your recent photos - it really grabbed my attention

Not often you see submarines any more. I think I can count the sightings on one hand in my area over the past 10 years.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Unique sight of a sub.

Comment

WOW! That is a nice capture, Jack!

At first, I didn't get it... I didn't see the submarine, but a few seconds later, there was something in the water!

Another thing that got my attention is the typing on the side below the bridge door: it says HYBRID. Is this a hybrid propulsion vessel as in batteries and conventional engine?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Trondheim is packed with navy vessels (Just saying ). I'm in Kristiansund and can't do anything about it
            A total of 16 war ships, including two submarines, will be in Trondheim from 19.-24. October to attend the Pre-Sail Conference for NATOs Southern Fleet, before the start of the gigantic NATO exercise Trident Juncture on the 25th.
            Tips: Log into the webcams of Trondheim Port Authorities (www.trondheimhavn.no)
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              Trondheim is packed with navy vessels (Just saying ). I'm in Kristiansund and can't do anything about it
              A total of 16 war ships, including two submarines, will be in Trondheim from 19.-24. October to attend the Pre-Sail Conference for NATOs Southern Fleet, before the start of the gigantic NATO exercise Trident Juncture on the 25th.
              Tips: Log into the webcams of Trondheim Port Authorities (www.trondheimhavn.no)
              Yeah, you are right. Got some photos of the Dutch giants in the canal yesterday, while heading for one of my jobs.

Will share the photo(s) of those within tonight!

Today, the weather is really sucky! It rains like there is no tomorrow, and I don't want to drown my camera...

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Same type weather as here then. Stormy, heavy rain and thunder/lightning.
                I understand you don't want to go out with your camera..., it's enough with one drowned camera in Trondheim (mine) ;-)

In advance of my tonight's deadline, here are some images from those massive fuel-supply ships up in the canal... seldom I see ships of this size in the canal where they docked.

The nearest one is A833 HNLMS Karel Doorman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Karel_Doorman_(A833)

The second one behind is L801: HNLMS Johan de Witt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Johan_de_Witt_(L801)

2018_10_20 G7XMII-Trident Juncture-HNLMS Karel Doorman-IMG_3073 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_10_20 G7XMII-Trident Juncture-HNLMS Karel Doorman-IMG_3074 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_10_20 G7XMII-Trident Juncture-HNLMS Karel Doorman-IMG_3079 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

And then, there was also a small Norwegian Navy tug responding to the name "Mjølner":

2018_10_20 G7XMII-Trident Juncture-Mjølner-IMG_3077 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Nice pictures from Trondheim!

HMS Enterprise in Kristiansund
                ​​​​​​IMGP0037 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

High speed craft aboard Enterprise, named Spitfire
                ​​​​​​IMGP0038 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The machine guns are due to the huge NATO exercise Trident Juncture
                IMGP0039 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Union Jack flying off the bow of HMS Enterprise
                ​​​​​​IMGP0040 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

KV Njord, a small coast guard vessel which is built for near coast and fjord ops.
                ​​​​​​IMGP0030 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Mine sweeper HMS Cattistock at Vestbase Friday morning
                IMGP0050 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

HSwMS Karlstad (K35) receive fuel at Vestbase Saturday.
                  This is one of five Visby-class corvettes and K35 is participating in the NATO exercise Trident Juncture 2018 going on here from 25th October until around 7th November.
                  The other corvette is HSwMS Nyköping (K34).
                  ​​​​​​IMGP0075 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP0077 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​IMGP0078 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Very interesting images from Sterkoder - thank you so much for sharing. Particularly those of the KARLSTAD: that is a strange looking design, even though I understand the reason behind her design.

Never seen anything like it before: not with my own eyes, not even on the Internet - before now.

Comment

USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) as she looks today in a fjord just east of Kristiansund. The small tug there is the Royal Norwegian Navys KNM Sleipner.
                    (The former USS Iwo Jima, can be seen in this threads very first picture at page 1)
                    USSIwoJima by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Tried to capture USS Iwo Jima as she arrived from Reykjavik at 0600 local time.
                      Forgot my tripod, and had to take a picture in pitch darkness with my new Pentax handheld. That called for ISO 26500. Yes, I know...., a tripod and lower ISO would have been a better solution.
                      ​​​​​​IMGP0097 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Had a little longer lunch-break than usual today, and drove into Årsund to get a better look.
                      To the left is the tug KNM Sleipner, and behind USS Iwo Jima, appears the Norwegian corvette KNM Storm as one of the guard vessels for the LHD-7
                      IMGP0101 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Had to do one in black and white
                      ​​​​​​IMGP0102 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

(Landing Craft Air Cushion) LCAC-71 on its way back to USS Iwo Jima from a landing of vehicles and personell in Ålvundfjord.
                      ​​​​​​IMGP0103 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

USS Iwo Jima is the "mother ship" in a battle group of three large landing platform/helicopter docks (ships). The two others being USS New York and USS Gunston Hall.
                        Don't know of USS Gunston Halls whereabouts, but yesterday, USS New York sailed into Breifjorden near Aksneset light nesr Vågbø in Tingvoll municipality.
                        This is the largest ship (208,5 meters long) which has been in this fjord, due to three fjord crossing powerlines over Trongfjorden. They had to sail under these just 300 meters from shore to get under.
                        Anyway, USS New York (LPD-21), a Landing Platform Dock held two LCACs (Landing Craft Air Cushion) in its belly for transportation of soldiers and vehicles to shore in Ålvundfjord.
                        I took a short break from work and drove to Aksneset, and here are a collection of pictures from yesterday.

IMGP0130 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

IMGP0135 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Surnadal in the distance far away in the background. USS New York and its two Norwegian corvette guards
                        IMGP0151 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

A Sikorsky SH-90 SeaHawk in for landing and guard vessel KNM Storm on patrol
                        IMGP0138 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

KNM Storm with Surnadal in the background
                        IMGP0168 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

The wind became stronger
                        IMGP0142 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One LCAC loaded and backing out of USS New York
                        IMGP0184 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

One LCAC at full power for the landing in Ålvundfjorden (Fuglvågen) and one waiting for the space inside USS New York.
                        All the equipment will be used in an attack on Oppdal, which is currently held by Spanish forces. Vinnu airport in Sunndalsøra is made temporary helicopter base for the US Marines
                        IMGP0185 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Oh yes, in case you wonder..., here's Aksneset light for you
                          IMGP0149 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X