Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the UK RFA Fort Austin or Fort Rosalie (ex Fort Grange)

Jack Mulder

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Mulder View Post
      Looks like the UK RFA Fort Austin or Fort Rosalie (ex Fort Grange)

Jack Mulder
      I could very well agree with you, Jack.
      But on my image from 1976, I don't recognise the shape of the bow spring and the stern is rounded. There's also a mast behind the funnel in my image.
      Other than that, it looks very alike RFA Fort Austin.
      I suspect it has been rebuilt and modernized over the years, because as I can understand, she's still in service...?
      Thank you for taking time to help me out here, Jack!!!!

EDIT:
      Then again, it's amazing what one find out when starting to dig into interesting things: RFA Fort Austin were commisioned in May 1979, so then it could not have been anchored near our summer house in 1976.
      Could it be that my mother remembered wrong and ment 1979? There were some navy traffic in our fjords prior to the huge NATO exercise "Teamwork '80" which took place here....
      Last edited by Sterkoder; December 26th, 2010, 23:40.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Actualy I'm now thinking of one of the next ships:

RFA Lyness A339
        Ordered 7 December 1964
        Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd (Yn 2016), Wallsend
        Laid down 7 July 1965, launched 7 April 1966 and commissioned 22 December 1966
        Lxwxd: 175.00x22.00x7.90
        Engine 1 8 cyllinder Sulzer
        1982 transferred to the US Navy as USNS Sirius later renamed Texas Clipper III.

RFA Stromness A344
        Ordered 7 December 1964
        Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd (Yn 2017), Wallsend
        Laid down 5 October 1965, launched 16 September 1966
        1982 transferred to the US Navy as USNS Saturn
        Sunk 27 October 2010.

RFA Tarbatness A 345
        Ordered 7 December 1964
        Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd (Yn 2018), Wallsend
        Laid down 15 April 1966, launched 28 Febrari 1967 and commissioned 10 August 1967
        1982 transferred to the US Navy as USNS Spica.

Jack Mulder

Comment

Fantastic, Jack!
          One of these three it is. Looks quite the same, and overall the details are also alike. Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            Fantastic, Jack!
            One of these three it is. Looks quite the same, and overall the details are also alike. Thank you!!
            Now I'm thinking backwards, I think we were involved in this exercise and embaked at the HNLMS Tjerk Hiddes.

Jack

Comment

Coastguard vessel KV Ålesund W312 in Bergen 14 November 2010

Comment

USS F 55 Elrod during the Navy days in Den helder.

Jack Mulder

Comment

Danish frigate F352 HDMS Peder Skram in Copenhagen last summer.
                  It was Decommissioned July 5. 1990 and is now a museum ship.

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Danish navy Willemoes-class fast attack craft (missile and torpedo boat) P547 HDMS Sehested
                    Decommissioned December 31. 2000.

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

I especially like the shark mouth and tiny little eye. Thank you for the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                        Danish frigate F352 HDMS Peder Skram in Copenhagen last summer.
                        It was Decommissioned July 5. 1990 and is now a museum ship.

The class consisted of two ships the other was the HDMS F 353 Herluf Trolle launched September 1965, Commissioned April 1967 and decommissioned Juli 1990.

Comment

Although it sail under sivilian flag today, this is "Maursund" (former KNM "Maursund") which I choose to post here because it still operate for the Royal Norwegian Navy whenever needed.
                          Built at Mjellem & Karlsen in Bergen back in 1972, it left military use and reg. L4504 in 2003 to be rebuilt for SeaWorks as a sivil charter landing craft.
                          In 2009 it was resertificated for European sailing, and it is used every year to move reindeers for the same people and to haul cargo to Svalbard and Jan Mayen.
                          The last week she has been moored in Kristiansund, and today she moved to dock #3 at Vestbase.
                          Being difficult to photograph in the harbour, I decided today was time to make my move.
                          Didn't bring my Pentax, so this is purely a FujiFilm work...

In her navy days, she looked like this. Photo via Wikipedia

And please don't ask what that "thingy" at the stern are...., I don't know...
                          IT'S TRUE!!

EDIT:
                          Well..., not entirely. What I don't know I have a tendency to investigate. The "thingy" at the stern is a raiseable gate to open up for the stern on-/offloading ramp.
                          When she sailed as a KNM vessel, she also had one retractable thruster in each corner of the stern for use when they moved up on the shore. These are now removed.
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; January 17th, 2011, 20:16.

Comment

Rusian ship Kaliningrad

Jack Mulder

Comment

RFA Sir Lancelot

Since we are into landing craft type of Naval vessels, here is a picture of RFA Sir Lancelot in Grytviken, South Georgia in 1987:

Picture has been copied from Shipnostalgia.com, Gallery.

My Father-in-Law, Capt.A.J.Walker, was Master on the Sir Lancelot in the 1960s, when she looked like this:

Seen in Hong Kong as Glen Breavheart back in 2005:

And in Singapore in 2006:

Before going to the breakers in Bangladesh in 2008.

PS> I have posted a picture of this ship on CVF before.

Comment

Here are some other Russian war ships:

I think this third one might be "Peter the Great":

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X