Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, KV Bergen on the maidenvoyage to the navybase Haakonsvern and back to Bergen again
    View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

There is no visible armament on the KV Bergen, while the KV Aalesund carry a fairly large gun on her foredeck.
      I know that KV Bergen is civilian owned (Remoy Management) Has that got something to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        There is no visible armament on the KV Bergen, while the KV Aalesund carry a fairly large gun on her foredeck.
        I know that KV Bergen is civilian owned (Remoy Management) Has that got something to do with it?
        As you are in shipping, what's the different between owner and managing owner/manager...?

As for the answer to the question, you might be on to something..., that it is a civilian vessel, but I don't know.
        In July/August we will see the latest coast guard vessel, as "Sortland" will be starting her operations.

She's also managed/owned by Remøy, but it looks like she's got a light cannon on her foredeck, doesn't it...?

I see five coast guard vessels managed by Remøy, but they are owned by a company called SEB Njord AS (whatever that is).

This goes for:
        "Barentshav", "Bergen", "Heimdal", "Nornen" and "Tor".
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

[QUOTE=Tom McNikon;29381]

QUOTE]

Maybe a gun will pop up out of that large hatch on her forc'led?

Sterkoder wrote:
          I see five coast guard vessels managed by Remøy, but they are owned by a company called SEB Njord AS (whatever that is).
          That is VERY common. The Owner is usually a single ship company to avoid risk of claims due to accidents or other claims against the ship "migrating" to other vessels in the fleet. SEB Njord and Remoy Management may well have the same address and largely the same share holders, but each is a separate legal entity.

I don't know the answer, I raised the question re armament on civilian owned ships? Anybody with more military or legal background have any input here??

Comment

And next port is British West Hartlepool I presume???
            Is none of our British members wants to step in and explain the joke???
            Before this little interchange passes into oblivion, and at the risk of totally lowering the tone and intellectual content of more recent additions to the thread, I just HAVE to ask to be enlightened . . . my best guess regarding this "puzzle" is that it may have something to do with the kind of sporting activity I generally dismiss as "mudsports"??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              Before this little interchange passes into oblivion, and at the risk of totally lowering the tone and intellectual content of more recent additions to the thread, I just HAVE to ask to be enlightened . . . my best guess regarding this "puzzle" is that it may have something to do with the kind of sporting activity I generally dismiss as "mudsports"??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              No not football (or Rugby?) but true history.
              The story goes that during one of the many wars between Britain and France a French ship stranded off the coast near West Hartlepool. The only survivor was a monkey. But, since the local people had never seen a Frenchman and the enemy had been demonizes, (as is common in wars to this day) they beleived the monkey to be a Frenchman. They hang the monkey.
              I was of the impression that this was a well known story in Britain??

As to why the place is commonly called "British West Hartlepool" in some circles I don't know, but somebody here may know?? There is bound to be a story there too.

Comment

....I was of the impression that this was a well known story in Britain??....
                . . . but not one I came across at the other side of northern England. Though perhaps understandable since I have been living in Scotland for so long, and the Scots were allies of the French against the English in those far off wars!

I can at least redeem myself in having known a bit about who Chevalier Paul was and thus realised why the crew uniforms incorporated a Maltese cross!

Comment

Not sure if this should be in the yacht thread or in the navy ship thread, but this is something out of the ordinary:

Conversion from Navy ship to luxury yacht.

>>

Pierre Jean Design will convert a former navy ship into a ultra luxurious yacht. They have previously done a lot of sailboats, helicopters and private aircrafts.

It's a frigate of the SWIFT 141-class which will be converted into a yacht housing 60 guests and 56 crew. The speed will clock in around 26 knots once completed and the yacht will be among the world's largest.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

CGV "Andenes" depart Breivika harbour this afternoon.

Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

USS Vicksburg

Jan Olav, This comes a little late but better late than never. Back on 3-16-10 you did a post which was about the USS Vicksburg. A most interesting post, about the ship and all. After reading it I was about to close out the post. So what do I see up in the right hand conner, top of the page. It was "Links".

Now to links on any post can lead you to all kinds of good stuff. Well in this case the "Links" led me to the FOIA, thats the Freedom of Information Act. This allows citizens to write in for all kinds of government information that is normally not available. The FOIA opens a lot of doors.

In my case I decided to contact the U.S. Navy as to the death of my uncle in WWII. Filled out the form on line and now its just a matter of waiting some 20 business days for the details.

Jan I thank you for that post on the USS Vicksburg. Hopefully it will fill a hole in the family tree as to who, what, when, where and why. Thanks again, I'll let you know how I make out.

Comment

Originally posted by G. of S. Florida View Post
                        Jan Olav, This comes a little late but better late than never. Back on 3-16-10 you did a post which was about the USS Vicksburg. A most interesting post, about the ship and all. After reading it I was about to close out the post. So what do I see up in the right hand conner, top of the page. It was "Links".

Now to links on any post can lead you to all kinds of good stuff. Well in this case the "Links" led me to the FOIA, thats the Freedom of Information Act. This allows citizens to write in for all kinds of government information that is normally not available. The FOIA opens a lot of doors.

In my case I decided to contact the U.S. Navy as to the death of my uncle in WWII. Filled out the form on line and now its just a matter of waiting some 20 business days for the details.

Jan I thank you for that post on the USS Vicksburg. Hopefully it will fill a hole in the family tree as to who, what, when, where and why. Thanks again, I'll let you know how I make out.
                        What can I say: as you, I have also learned a lot from a lot of wise members here. It goes without saying, if you know something, share it. There might be some readers out there which actually finds something interesting in the information.

Secondly, so happy that I managed to help you out on your search!
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Navy vessel "Hinnøy" passed Tromsø yesterday morning in the fog and rain.

Best wishes from
                          Bengt Domben

Comment

It goes without saying, if you know something, share it. There might be some readers out there which actually finds something interesting in the information.
                            Very important!!!! Very!!!!
                            You don't know who's looking for who/what out there, and suddenly....., just a fraction of what you post can mean a hole lot to someone out there...!
                            This is what makes CV so great, and as I am a dedicated forumist and frequent visitor to several other forums, I must say that CV is clearly one of the best..., if not THE best forum....!
                            I don't know about you out there, but for me; a day without CV is a strange and not so good day
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The French frigate "Latouche-Trevilla" (D 646) on a visit in Tromsø today.
                              Here she is on the way to Skjelnan oil facilities in the morning to refuel.

Name: "Latouche-Tréville"
                              Laid down: 15 February 1984
                              Launched: 19 March 1988
                              Commissioned: 16 July 1990
                              General characteristics
                              Class and type: Georges Leygues-class frigate
                              Displacement: 3,550 t (3,494 long tons)4,500 t (4,429 long tons) full load

Length: 139 m (456 ft 0 in)
                              Beam: 14 m (45 ft 11 in)
                              Height: 39.36 m (129 ft 2 in)
                              Draught: 5.8 m (19 ft 0 in)

Propulsion: CODOG2 × Pielstick PA 6 V280 STD diesels, 5,200 hp (3,878 kW)2 × Rolls Royce Olympus TM3B gas turbines, 26,000 hp (19,388 kW)2 shafts with 4-blade controllable pitch propellers
                              Speed: 30 knots (35 mph; 56 km/h) on gas turbines21 knots (24 mph; 39 km/h) on diesels
                              Range: 1,000 nmi (1,900 km) at 30 kn (35 mph; 56 km/h) on gas turbines10,000 nmi (19,000 km) at 15 kn (17 mph; 28 km/h) on diesels

Complement: 20 officers120 non-commissioned officers95 men

Sensors andprocessing systems: Detection:• 1 Air/surface sentry radar DRBV51C• 1 Air sentry radar DRBV 26• 1 Fire control radar DRBC 32E• 2 Navigation radar KH 1007• 1 Hull sonar DUBV 23• 1 Towed sonar DUBV 43CTactical information:• SENIT 4• SEAO/OPSMER
                              Electronic warfareand decoys: • 2 Radar interceptors ARBR 16• 2 × Syllex chaff launchers

Armament: Anti-air:• 1 × Crotale EDIR system - 8 missiles on launcher + 18 stored• 2 × Simbad systems - 2×2 Mistral missiles• 1 × CADAM 100 mm main gun• 2 × 20 mm guns• 4 × 12.7 mm machine gunsAnti-surface:• 4 × Exocet MM38 missilesAnti-submarine:• 10 × L5 Mod4 torpedoes• 2 × L5 torpedo launchers

Aircraft carried: 2 × Lynx WG13 Mk.4 helicopters, each with:• 1 × DUAV4 sonar• Rheseda system for transmission of acoustic data• 12 × Mark 46 torpedoes
                              Best wishes from
                              Bengt Domben

Comment

"Måløy" at slow speed north Tromsøysundet this afternoon.

Best wishes from
                                Bengt Domben

Comment

Working...
                                X