X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ports of the World

We have threads dedicated to many places in the the world but there doesn't appear to be any dedicated to Ports of the World, which is a shame in a maritime slanted forum.

It is time to correct that, so here is some pictures from one of the oldest and best known ports in the world, Shanghai.

During a recent visit to Shanghai I did not get to see any of the new Container Ports, now the World's busiest, (It overtook Singapore last year) and said to be equipped with the latest and the best of facilities and equipment. Steadily expanding to accommodate the new generation of giant Container Vessels.

I visited Longwu Port, which is just about as far up the Huangpu River as you can get with an Ocean going ship of any size.
    This is a conventional port, mainly dedicated to Logs and Bulk cargoes, but also used for Project Cargo.

Here is the Multi-purpose Cargo vessel MV "BBC Thames" alongside to load 3 Heli-Rigs for Manaus, Brazil:

Last edited by ombugge; February 28th, 2011, 12:22.

The cargo had been trucked in from Sichuan Province, some 1,500 km. away as the crows fly:

And was loaded on board over a period of 4 days:

Comment

But the main cargo handled at Longwu Port was logs, as can be seen in the background here:

That would be a pretty good size forest right there.

Comment

Handled by Front loaders:

Mostly from North America:

An attempt to be a bit Artistic. (Maybe influenced by CVF??)
        Last edited by ombugge; February 28th, 2011, 12:24.

Comment

Most leave the port area on trucks, but some were loaded on river barges:

Comment

There are also coal barges being marshaled at this port:

And other vessels arriving and leaving:

This one carried Railroad tracks from Spain.

More of the river traffic later.
            Last edited by ombugge; February 28th, 2011, 12:26.

Comment

Perfect idea for a new thread! Thank you for showing these pictures to us. Especially the non-container-business in ports will show us the differences between the various parts of the world. Look at these antique barges! I don't think the people are able to earn reliable moneys with them!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I do not think i have ever seen so many logs in one place. I agree that we must be looking at a fair sized forest laying there. I wonder how long it would take that port to 'turn around' that amount of logs? Just wondering how many forests a port like this can handle each year?
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Mostly from North America:

An attempt to be a bit Artistic. (Maybe influenced by CVF??)
                  This is a very cool picture ombugge!

It reminds me of a nightmare from my childhood.... the screaming people down in h3ll stretching their arms trying to pull me down into the well....
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thanks for the views of the port.

I am still wondering what they are doing with so many logs from North America? Lumber for houses, furniture or maybe even pallets to ship goods back to N. America. I always assumed China had a lot of forest but with such a large and growing population & economy maybe their trees were all cut long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                      Thanks for the views of the port.

I am still wondering what they are doing with so many logs from North America? Lumber for houses, furniture or maybe even pallets to ship goods back to N. America. I always assumed China had a lot of forest but with such a large and growing population & economy maybe their trees were all cut long ago.
                      Maybe it is re-exported as "Swedish furniture" and sold by IKEA world wide???

Comment

More of Shanghai - Huangpo River

Look at these antique barges! I don't think the people are able to earn reliable moneys with them!
                        These small river barges are numerous and used all over China. Very basic but efficient for their purpose. Mostly family owned and operated by female crew for a large part.

Here is a closer look at the Log Carriers.

The living quarters aft is very basic:

Spring in the air. Time to air out the beddings:

Comment

Life is full of hard knocks:

Light and loaded:

Comment

The wheel house is low to pass even the lowest of bridges on the Grand Canal:

Mooring ropes and slings are one and the same.

A look inside the wheel house:

Overview of the three barges featured above:

Also shown earlier.

Comment

A couple more river barges seen at Longwu Port, Shanghai:

To finish off the Log barge saga, here is one of "ours" heading up river:
                              Last edited by ombugge; March 1st, 2011, 07:07. Reason: Added pix.

Comment

Working...
                              X