Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy
    replied
    The lists is now updated and there is some changes too.... July 01 2014 is the day to be in Kristiansund

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied
    I found the answer on * kristiansund kommune.no * the answer is : Det 22. skipet er National Geograpic Explorer. Det skal fortøye på Smøla

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Don't know why they've squeezed NGE between SAGA SAPPHIRE and BOUDICCA in September.
    Just found out that the NGE visit is the call signed in for the island Smøla north-east of Kristiansund. Smøla is under the authority of the Kristiansund Harbour Authority, so that's why
    NGE is on their list of cruise calls.
    This call came after a deal made between the travel agency operating NGE and a 19 years old friend of mine. I thought he said NGE will arrive Smøla in May 2014.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied
    I have check up National Geograpich Explorer and she is in Canada 11.09 and will have a 7 days cruise there,what happend after is not sure,but i will keep looking for what happend

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Thank you ever so much, Galaxy!!! It was an article in our local newspaper yesterday about the coming cruise season. There they have CLUB MED 2 on the 20. July and NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER squeezed in between SAGA SAPPHIRE 5.9. and BOUDICCA 21.11. On all others they have date and time of call, but NGE has neither. Thanks also for the 2015 additions!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied
    Good news for kristiansund,i have now update the 2014 list and now its 20 calls for next year.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Hey, look at that! Two 'double-days' next year then, one of which is my birthday :-D Thanks 'Galaxy', your constant watching over cruise calls to my home town is highly appreciated!!!

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied
    The list for 2014 have now grown to 18 calls in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied
    Re: Cruise anløp, Kristiansund 2012

Its YOUR list im just happy to help you....

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Thank you! So glad I can update my list (in fact it's yours)

Leave a comment:

• Galaxy
    replied

Then the list is updated agein and i have now found the * missing link *.......The 16th ship is Braemar at july 23
    Last edited by Galaxy; July 28th, 2013, 23:58.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....OT: President Christie has a bust (of which you have taken the picture C.) on top of the hill where Hauggata ends, near the fire station. The place has a perfect eastern view over the harbour....
    Yes indeed, that would be an excellent spot to celebrate in July 2015! Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

And don't worry Sterkoder, I will not pursue the subject of Kristiansund and the Cruise ship traffic any further.
    Hahaha...., don't worry back (so to speak), the ones trying to take away this feather in the hat of Kristiansund harbour are talking to deaf ears..., as we say in Norway (only in Norwegian then ).

I agree Cecilia, the Præsident Christie used by Thomas Cook must be the one you've found a picture or two of, the one of 1873.

(OT: President Christie has a bust (of which you have taken the picture C.) on top of the hill where Hauggata ends, near the fire station. The place has a perfect eastern view over the harbour).

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I’ve so very much enjoyed the topics that have emerged in this thread these last couple of days.

Thanks for your thank you ombugge ….and yes CVF is so wonderful in these sort of ways isn’t it, and I think from this thread I may have led myself to something else interesting to pursue locally when time allows:- look what I found from an article about BDS in skipsmagasinet.no !
    1888: BDS starter med ukentlige turistruter fra Leith via Bergen og fjordene til Trondheim.
    1891: Turistruten fra Leith – Tr.heim. går inn i den regulære Englandsruten.

Svein, such is the internationally recognised importance of Thomas Cook in the emergence of the travel industry, I think that any connection of a place with him would be something to mark and celebrate in a round figure year. But as you’ve realised, the tourism authorities would certainly want to see picture of the ship and a bit about it.

I haven’t been able to find any other reference to a ship of the name President or Præsident Christie existing prior to 1873 (the build date of the ship we have found info and a photo of) other than that Hamburg to New York manifest of 1852. The difficulty in trying to discover more about the older ship from the single reference we have is that the emigration aspect tends to lead searches to pay-for databases intended for genealogical family history research.

Although I agree there remains that nagging doubt without further info about the older ship, I do feel the 1873-built ship to be the more likely candidate for Cook’s excursion. Keep in mind that if you read further here under the Midnight Sun at Nordkapp heading the author goes on to mention ships available to Cook in the years 1876, 1877 and 1878 following the first tour.

At this point I needed to go backwards and read about the earlier shipping companies (my hurtigruten-driven interest having previously tended to focus on years post-1893!) Look here in the section “Competitors” paragraphs 4 and 5 which has info about the Præsident Christie of 1873.

(I also found note of two more photos in the collections of the Sverresborg museum in Trondheim which are of the 1873 build, but the earlier link to a photo I found is perhaps better and has the advantage of including a year date on it.)

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Raise a question or two on CVF and somebody is likely to come up with some answers, or some interesting links that leads you on to something else.

I have spent most of the afternoon reading Mike Bent's detailed history of Hurtigruten, with more details then I have seen anywhere else.

Here is a link to his book about Hurtigruten: http://www.lulu.com/shop/mike-bent/t...-17487479.html

He has also written about Nattruten - Bergen Stavanger vv. and about the Fjordabaater around Bergen.
    Amazing deep knowledge of the subjects as far as I can judge, especially for a non-Norwegian.

Thank you Seagull!!!

And don't worry Sterkoder, I will not pursue the subject of Kristiansund and the Cruise ship traffic any further.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X