Alaska Class Ferry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska Class Ferry

Alaska is very similar to Norway with it's vast coastline and reliance on a system of ferries. Here is a link to the Alaska Department of Transportation website and their plans for new ferries to replace the current 1960's ships. Drawings of the proposed ships are in the vessel design section. And, if your really want the details make sure to look at the documents in the preliminary and functional design sections.

Is there a similar website for Norway?
    Last edited by pilotdane; January 23rd, 2011, 03:28.

Interesting concepts...

If this was to become the Hurtigruten of the future, I think it would not be such a great cruise-like experience.

Sadly, I do not know of any similar Norwegian pages... but maybe someone else knows?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It's interesting if you have the time to look at all the pages. It is boring but the document where they calculate the weight was also intresting. Every bit of steel to form the ship is listed as a line item with it's size and weight.

Comment

It is indeed very interesting: I spent quite a while studying the drawings last night after finishing here.

My first thought was that this is not a ship suitable for the Norwegian Coastal Voyage, because of the RO-RO ramp at the stern, unless more of the ports are being prepared for this kind of (un-)loading.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
        X