X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Ships of the World

I just realized that although Cruise Ships used to dominate this Forum, (May now have been overtaken by ferries) there is no general Cruise Ships thread.
    So here it is.

Cruise Ships seen at the Cruise Terminal in Singapore the last couple of days:

Should be familiar vessel to some on this forum, I believe???

I just realized that although Cruise Ships used to dominate this Forum, (May now have been overtaken by ferries) there is no general Cruise Ships thread.
    So here it is.
    I've missed it from time to time myself, because if we had something to post about the subject that were not about Norway/Blue Lady, Royal or Crystal....., a thread just like this would've been just the place.
    Thank you for the initiativ, 'ombugge'!!

Should be familiar vessel to some on this forum, I believe???
    How'bout "Long Jie"...., ex. "Omar III" and "Sun Viking"...?
    Last edited by Sterkoder; December 9th, 2010, 17:04.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The Libra.... I served on her when she sailed the Caribbean as Seaward and later Norwegian Sea....

Great seeing her again!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Pride of Hawai 9304057 2th of April 2006 passing Eemshaven (The Netherlands)

Jack Mulder

Comment

More Cruise Ships seen in Singapore lately:

This one may not be familiar to most CVF members:

But this one would be:

Can somebody enlighten me? Why wast paint and money on this kind of stupid hull "decorations"???

Comment

Seen in Hong Kong today. Which Cruise Ship is this??

This is a genuine question, since I don't know the answer.
            With all the Cruise Ship Experts on CVF, this should be a breeze.
            Last edited by ombugge; April 24th, 2011, 04:18.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              Seen in Hong Kong today. Which Cruise Ship is this??

This is a genuine question, since I don't know the answer.
              With all the Cruise Ship Experts on CVF, this should be a breeze.
              I think this must be the former WINDWARD of Norwegian Cruise Line: she now sails under a different name with Star Cruises.

EDIT: Current name is SuperStar Aquarius.

http://www.starcruises.com/newweb/ou..._aquarius.aspx

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ming Hua - Seaworld, Shekou

Remember this one?:

Formerly the French Liner Ancerville:

This is one stationary Cruise Ship that has survived and apparently is thriving. It is still there and will never go anywhere, since the area around is now dry land and a new highway is under construction between her and the sea.

I have walked around this ship many times but never been on board. That has now changed, we spent New Years Eve on the open deck in the hope of catching the renowned Fire Work of Shenzhen. (Which showed up to be for CYN only)

In any case, I did walk around the upper decks a bit and took some picture. As you will appreciate, it was middle of night so not much details to be seen.

As seen from the shore side:

All decorated for the occasion

The most recognizable part of the ship, the double funnels:

And the Samson Posts:

The derricks are long gone.

The open deck in front of the Bridge:

As seen from the bridge wing.

A view along the upper deck side:

Obviously the wooden deck is not original.

Finally, a look at the crowed Poop Deck from the upper deck:

Even from this brief visit in the dark, it became obvious that retaining the original style was not uppermost in the mind or the management.

Comment

Very interesting that she survives. Is she floating? I wonder about her hull condition sitting in stagnant mud.

The US battleship North Carolina has been a museum ship for a long time. Over the years her dock area silted so she was no longer floating except at the highest of tides. Apparently sitting in the mud was much worse for the hull than floating free. Several years ago we had heavy rains and a high tide and they floated her free and pulled her into dry dock for some fresh hull paint. Now I think they intend to keep her dock area clear so she can remain floating.

Comment

A couple cruise ships are entering the Panama Canal this morning.

I think this is Celebrity Constellation. I was not able to read the name on her hull so I got her name from Marine Traffic.com.

Right next to her is NCL's Star.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                      Very interesting that she survives. Is she floating? I wonder about her hull condition sitting in stagnant mud.

The US battleship North Carolina has been a museum ship for a long time. Over the years her dock area silted so she was no longer floating except at the highest of tides. Apparently sitting in the mud was much worse for the hull than floating free. Several years ago we had heavy rains and a high tide and they floated her free and pulled her into dry dock for some fresh hull paint. Now I think they intend to keep her dock area clear so she can remain floating.
                      No this one is not floating and the "dock" that she is in, is dry. There is like "tray" all around, with maybe a foot of water, to give the illusion of her being afloat, but only for show.

I must say I did not see much serious corrosion the last time I had a "walk-around" (at least on one side) which is about 2 years ago.
                      This time it was too dark to really see anything of that nature.

Comment

How really extra-ordinary to see a report from on board that retired ship!

If you ever get around to visit again, please show me more. I would like to see what remains of her, her condition, traces of her past... you know, it all!

Did you feel like walking around on a ship, or is it just like any other building?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          How really extra-ordinary to see a report from on board that retired ship!

If you ever get around to visit again, please show me more. I would like to see what remains of her, her condition, traces of her past... you know, it all!

Did you feel like walking around on a ship, or is it just like any other building?
                          I have somehow missed out on this post and questions.
                          As it was New Year's Eve and dark I didn't get a good look at the ship, but I did get the impression that multiple "upgradings" over the years had taken its toll on the authenticity of the ship. From what I could see the conversions had been to satisfy Chinese taste for modernity and not the history of the ship.

Here is a link to one of many sites that talks about this ship and her history: http://maritimematters.com/2010/08/ss-minghua-lives-on/
                          Apparently she also features in Chinese political history due to Deng Xioping's involvement with her and the development of Shenzhen Economic Zone.

Comment

copied this post from ship spotters thread

today in Rotterdam,the p&o cruises vessel "AZURA''

(pity that we don't have a main thread for cruise vessels,and that divided in cruise companies)

best regards Thijs

Comment

the only intresting things on this ship

the bow

]

the stern

between it's just a flat
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                              X