No announcement yet.

The next tender: Fosen Namsos Sjø (FNS) is back at Flakk-Rørvik

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are very correct, Tommi. The new ferries are considerably shorter than K.

K. = 123 meters / 2971 GRT / 390 pax

L. & M. = 108 meters / 3860 GRT / 396 pax

Last day at home before starting at Munken tomorrow morning 8:00 AM. I will be on Munken until 18:00 when I switch over to "my" Lagatun for the rest of the night and days onwards.

Weather forecast is not too good right now, so I surely will get baptised on the first day/ week.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Last day at home before starting at Munken tomorrow morning 8:00 AM. I will be on Munken until 18:00 when I switch over to "my" Lagatun for the rest of the night and days onwards.
      Weather forecast is not too good right now, so I surely will get baptised on the first day/ week.
      First, I hope that you'll have a great New Years eve.
      Then I hope that you'll have a successful first period with the new vessels.

Comment

But you also got thrown into deep water, or babtised, with K. too, didn't you? I seem to remember something about bad weather, safety first and angry passengers?
        Anyway, we all know safety MUST come first, so I just say happy new year and good luck on handling M. first, then "your" L. in years to come :-)
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Happy New Year to Captain! ...

I miss the old webcam at Flakk, but here's the first shift's first back and forth of the day

Marine Traffic

...and here's when Captain switched over to Lagatun this evening.

Marine Traffic

Lagatun now looks to be based in Rørvik for the night.
          Last edited by Seagull; January 2nd, 2019, 00:30. Reason: Added extra info.

Comment

I'm currently serving both on Munken and Lagatun, as the concept of "my ship" has been discontinued.

I'm serving whatever ship is there... but, they are exactly the same. There is minimal differences to the ships.

This week, I'm doing night shifts on Munken. Every second night.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Every second night? That must disrupt your sleep pattern, feeling either overtired or just not sleepy at all the wrong moments?

The shift system is quite a challenge to get used to... and as of now, I'm not entirely sure of the exact rotations.

Since January 1st, I've been doing 14 hour day-watches separated by 6 hours of rest. Since Sunday evening, I swapped from day to night watch. Night watches usually runs from 18:00 hours till 08:00 the next morning, then every other night. By Sunday morning, I'll most likely be done and heading for "vacation".

I have had problems adjusting, I'm no longer a young fellow that has no problems readjusting. I need my sleep, and I need consistency. Tonight, on my night off, I got to stay awake as long as possible, preferably till early morning. Shift work is really hard!

Comment

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a tough job! A constant journey.

Yes I've always thought those alternate nights must be hard, and as you say it gets harder.

After being on a 'day' week followed by a week on nights, I had been wondering if the next rotation would be first nights and then days as used to be the case. Actually I don't even know if it is 3 weeks off that you'll still get. And it is a bit mind-boggling to work out how or if the demise of the 'my ship' concept affects the former timings. Oh well, we'll see in due course.

Comment

Surely there's a better way to run a ship.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I think you have to study economics to put together this shift plan with a minimum amount of workers. Let's hope that this is running well and the failure times due to exhaust and illness are not too high to cause even more severe problems. We experience this in our hospitals: people are not able to fulfill too ambitious working schedules and so all these plannings do not work well.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OT for just a moment, Ralf, but I thought the British hospitals were the only ones with problems!

Roughly, there will be two weeks on, two weeks off... in a rotation of 8 weeks. And you are correct, Lady C, the day-night shift schedule alternates each time.

I'm definitely getting older, and are not keen on these night shifts, but so far, it has been working out surprisingly great.

And the ferries, the new ones, are beautiful ships. They are actually well designed ferries, but as usual, in my eyes, comes with a fair share design faults. The best ferry I have ever served on, was TIDEFJORD, now NORANGSFJORD. And I'm not the only one saying that. That was a very well designed ferry.

With let's say a 100 years of ferry-operation in Norway, I'm however quite SURPRISED that we have not fine-polished the art of creating the perfect ferry. Ferries designed after for example Tidefjord, should have been improved a little more each time. By now, the ferries being built and designed, should be as close to perfect as it is possible to come.

Ferries from Norway, should have be extremely popular second hand ships to any where in the world, as soon as they are retired from service here.

But, even after making something as good as Tidefjord, we stepped back again at many projects.

Why is this happening?

Comment

Christening ceremony is supposedly to be held at Rørvik some time tomorrow, January 18th 2019.... I have not been invited to attend, so I have only heard rumours about the ceremony.

This possibly includes both ships.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    Christening ceremony is supposedly to be held at Rørvik some time tomorrow, January 18th 2019.... I have not been invited to attend, so I have only heard rumours about the ceremony.

This possibly includes both ships.
                    It's from the newspaper I get my information... they were both christened today, and according to the media, it is a significant occasion. ....hmmmm.....

https://www.adressa.no/nyheter/trond...t-18275182.ece

Comment

Working...
                    X