X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yvneac
    started a topic Valparaiso-ushuaia aboard le soleal

Valparaiso-ushuaia aboard le soleal

Last November I made a cruise along the Chilian coast aboard Le Soléal from Valparaiso to Ushuaia .

Chile was on my « things-to-do » list since a long time and the channels of Patagonia had a special place in my imagination due to the novels I read about it (Francisco Coloane, Luis Sepulveda, for instance).

This country of fjords could be compared with Norway exept the fact that, in the great south, you can spend a whole day or two without seing any house or human life,Only rocks, forest and glaciers. Hre and there, few small coloured fishing harbours but the only real cities are Punta Arenas (Ididn't visit) and Puerto Natales.

It was a great trip. If you like solitude and big nature you would not be disappointed.

First stop Santiago.

At the Precolombia Museum

Statue of President Allende

Reflections of the cathedral in a new building

Residential district, east side

Andes Cordillera

• pakarang
    replied
    So many times sailing around and past the Cape, but never have I had the chance and pleasure of stepping ashore.

That would be a nice stamp for my passport!

Leave a comment:

• Linray
    replied
    Great to see photos from Cape Horn, we were unable to land last January as the swell was too great.

Leave a comment:

• nari
    replied
    I've had 2 opportunities in the past to land on the Cape - both had to be scrapped due to very inclement weather. I guess in the future somewhere there will be landing parties at the North Pole.....

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    I've seen but not actually landed at Cape Horn, so am delighted to see these photos, Yves. Especially love the "Landscape around the lighthouse" with the light catching on those grass tufts.

Wow what a champagne tradition photo! I think the French term Sabrage is used in English, but I've never seen it done.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Landscape around the lighthouse
    IMGP9834 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Inside the lighthouse
    IMGP9822 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

DSC04670 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Want a passeport stamp, just ask!

DSC04669 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

To respect the tradition, our captain "sabre le Champagne" (don't know the Englih translation) just outside the cape.
    DSC04722 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Landing at Horn cape.

The lighthouse seen from Le Soleal
    IMGP9805 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

The Marine Officer who keeps the lighthouse (with the white cap) welcomes us at the pier.
    DSC04655 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

The monument of French Cape Horners
    IMGP9815 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

In the memory to all sailors who died in this area.
    IMGP9829 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Horn cape in the background
    IMGP9831 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Oistein
    replied
    Agree with our Captain. Looks like Norway, but wrong vegetation and building style.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    This landscape is so majestic... a bit like Norway but in a very different, and more exotic way.

Leave a comment:

• nari
    replied
    All very reminiscent of my trip in 2002 to Argentina and Chile. Perito Moreno does not superficially seem at all affected by climate instability; and I wonder how the ice cap in Chile's western range is coping - it is/was the third largest in the world. Thanks for the photos - stunning.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    From Puerto Natales to Torres del Paine.

Puerto Natales Church.
    DSC04455 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Chilean gaucho.
    DSC04471 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

In Patagonia, los estancias (farms) are huge.
    IMGP9667 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

IMGP9683 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

"Fin del mondo" (end of the world) road!
    IMGP9670 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

IMGP9677 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

This guanaco seems enjoy the scenary:
    IMGP9699 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

El lago Pehoe
    IMGP9720 by yneac yneac, sur Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    You may be right there. From my perspective, it looks like the little France has left, is highly treasured.

France and Norway may not be so different at all, when it comes to our maritime heritage. I'm utterly disappointed with how the Norwegians are turning their backs to the oceans.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    and it's so apparent that the French are truly motivated and proud of their maritime heritage and interest. This is something I feel Norwegians have lost to some degree.
    I don't think so J-O. Our maritime patrimony (I mean old ships still alive) is very poor. For instance we have only one three-master from the old days of the cap Horn period. And Nothing from the great cod fishing in Newfoundland. And don't forget we didn't find a solution to keep the beautiful M/S France on our flag.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thanks for the link from before - completely forgotten about that report.

These ships are really beautifully designed ships - and it's so apparent that the French are truly motivated and proud of their maritime heritage and interest. This is something I feel Norwegians have lost to some degree.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Originally posted by Seagull View Post

But your fine portrait #24/5 naturally deserves a special mention - and how clever to think of including the live bow webcam!
    Françoise's touch.!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X