X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aurora left behind:

Comment

The Zenith was at Skansekaia at the same time:

Familiar sight for many, but not the size and colour of the hull of the ship alongside:

Since "Zenith" is here, "Nadir" may be north from here??:

Singleling up to leave:

A little push to Stbd. please Mr. Mate:

And off she go to Trondheim for "turnaround":

(She was back here on the 10th.)

Comment

The Rotterdam did things differently from most. In stead of leaving for open seas to steam around at night she stayed alongside in Aalesund until 2330 h. and slowe steamed in the fjord to Geiranger:

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          The Rotterdam is back in town. She left Geiranger just after 2300 h. last night and slow steamed to Aalesund, arriving 0630 h. this morning.

The MSC Meraviglia was back in town today:

Comment

Two cruise ships made it to Aalesund today, despite the weather.
          Marella Discovery was not announced, but showed up anyhow. Island Sky also made it as announced:

Braemer that was announced bypassed and continued directly to Trondheim, steaming passed in open sea.

Comment

The early autumn storms we have experienced lately has played havoc with the cruise ships that has been scheduled to visit Aalesund lately.
            Today the QM2 had to give up berthing here:
            https://www.smp.no/alesund/2018/06/2...d-16961273.ece

She was all the way in to Slinningsodden,

PS> This picture is not from today

Before turning and is now heading for Flaam, after giving up plans to cruise the fjords today:
            https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...62.440/zoom:12

Comment

The smaller AIDAbella made it later in the day:

Yesterday even the smaller Le Boreal had to give up, due to the weather:

While the Costa Pacifica made it in the morning, spent the day alongside and left as planned at 1800 h.

Here she is. optimistically turning around Alinningsodden:

She went all the way in, before turning on Aspovaagen:

She proceeded to Hellesylt for the rest of the day and night and is now in Geiranger. Her guests got to see Sunnmore at its worst.

Comment

Ooh, that's been a little exciting.

http://www.radionordkapp.no/nyheter/...mein-schiff-3/

Mein Schiff 3 was sitting sunbathing when we had a toddle around the quay earlier, then a bit later a (forecast) squall came through and blew her off the berth. The video in the link shows what happened.

When we were looking at her we commented on the fact that she had six (yes, six) lines from the stern to the quay, four springs, three or four bow lines and an anchor down. Clearly not enough!

A bit of damage to Kai Vest by the looks of it. She's still sitting out in the fjord with quite a lot of power on, all the local boats with her, and plenty of wet tourists who have come back from Nordkapp with nowhere to go!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rather windy also here in hov on the lofoten. Not very cozy. Lofotposten was stalking with cameras the gimsöy bridge to get another car video, but without success. The bridge was partly closed this afternoon. We passed with 20-30 m/s wind.

Windy in aalesund yesterday, but at least not so bad that the cruise ships didn't make it alongside safely.
                The Norwegian Jade:

Queen Victoria:

Comment

Today the Albatross is visiting:

Comment

OHHH.... those were windy couple of days in both Ålesund and Honningsvåg!

Understandably, I can see why QM2 and the French beauty wouldn't go alongside.

In the video from Honningsvåg, I bet it was a couple of nervous minutes for the bridge team waiting for their big engines to com online and be connected... those seconds must have been nerve-wrecking. In the video you can also see the moment when more engines are connected and placed online (the smoke coming from her funnel).

In Trondheim, we had really low pressure and very high tide, some seas but no more than a fresh gale. Just a normal day at work.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Norwegian Jade sailing out of Ålesund July 3. as I photograph her from 3000 feet enroute Kvernberget-Vigra
                      ​​​​​​SSL26327 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Had a call from a customer who wanted me to come to Molde for an Annual Inspection of an offshore cargo carrying unit (or container, as it's usually called).
                      The container was at the customers site in Grandfjæra, and while I performed the inspection I suddenly saw a structure slowly coming towards me out there in the fjord.
                      It was the Holland America Lines KONINGSDAM, and as usual I had my Pentax present.
                      SSL26364 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL26363 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; July 6th, 2018, 12:10.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

"A true photographer is the person who always has his camera at an arms-length, at any time!"

Doesn't help having a camera if you leave it at home - as you now have shown!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          "A true photographer is the person who always has his camera at an arms-length, at any time!"

Doesn't help having a camera if you leave it at home - as you now have shown!
                          Thank you. Yes, I guess you can say that :-)

Same goes for today, as I brought my Pentax along when Silver Cloud arrived, or actually she had moored when I took her pictures.

Kristiansund is now a "turn around port" for Silver Cloud and her explorer passengers, but the 200+ passengers must come and leave separately, because there are no additional aircraft in and out of Kristiansund airport, like it is in Trondheim with Pullmantours.
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That is wonderful - I know and understand how and why the cruise lines need ports in mid-Norway for turn-arounds. Sailing from for example Copenhagen or Amsterdam, to North Cape or even Spitsbergen makes a lot of sea-days with high speed sailing, few port stops and not enough days to make it just a 7 day cruise.

If Trondheim had seen this opportunity, made a better terminal for the future, we could have been stronger. But in Norway, I think we have a tendency for short-term thinking.

Comment

Working...
                            X