Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RENAMED THREAD: The Korsfjord, and the official FLAKK-RØRVIK thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENAMED THREAD: The Korsfjord, and the official FLAKK-RØRVIK thread.

Follow the brand new M/F Korsfjord home to Norway

Dear family members,

As most of you may have realized, I have been away a lot lately. There is a reason and you shouldn't worry at all. The past two weeks, I've been doing my duty on board my present car ferry, the M/F Fosen.

The past two days, we've been at Bergen Fosen Yards at Kvithylla (the place out in the Trondheimsfjord where the World was built), to do some maintenance and to change a broken main mast.

Later this week, I will be away on a course for personnel on gas-driven vessels, it will take place in Trondheim this coming Friday.

Sunday, I will be away for an extra full day shift on board the car ferry Sogn: the last day Sogn will be a supplement ferry on the Flakk-Rørvik run this year. She will after Sunday and end of charter, sail south and go to shipyard for general maintenance.

Late Sunday night, and during the night to Monday morning, I will drive down to Molde. Monday morning, I will be on a meeting at Fjord1 MRF headquarters before I will join Korsfjord's sister ferry "Romsdalsfjord" for training and familiarization between Molde and Vestnes.

The following day, Tuesday evening, I will fly from Molde to Poland, via Oslo and Copenhagen, and join my new assignment, the M/F Korsfjord.

Flag change for Korsfjord happened on October 25th (yesterday) and Saturday next week, 6th of November, we will perform the christening ceremony in Gdansk, Poland.

Most likely on Sunday November 7th or on Monday November 8th, we will depart from Poland and start on the journey, the maiden voyage home to Norway.

You may also follow our AIS track here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

You will all be able to follow us here on CVF, as I will try to update my contacts along our routes. If anyone lives along the route, and wants an update by SMS, please let me know now: thinking especially about places such as Haugesund, Bergen, the west coast, Molde, Kristiansund and Trondheim. This will give you the exclusive opportunity to photograph my new ferry. I'd love to see photos taken from bridges along our route.

PS: My camera will OFF COURSE be with me on the whole journey home, and otherwise as much as I can during the final days before and after christening.

I don't think I need to let you all know that I'm proud, really proud to be going to Poland to be the Captain on the christening and her maiden voyage home.
    Last edited by pakarang; October 29th, 2010, 20:43. Reason: Thread no longer exclusive to CVF members: open for everyone's reading pleasure.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

PS: This will from now on, be the "Official Korsfjord"-thread.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      ....I don't think I need to let you all know that I'm proud, really proud to be going to Poland to be the Captain on the christening and her maiden voyage home.
      …and I hardly think I need to tell you just how very very proud we all are of you!
      So wonderful that you will be Captain on the maiden voyage, and I am so excited and looking forward to following the route.

Comment

This is great, many congratulations, Jan-Olav. It will be very interesting to follow you home to Norway.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Just trying to work out how long it will take for Korsfjord to get from Poland to the first places in Norway you mentioned (and then up the coast to Trondheim)?

Edit: - see post #8 below...
          Last edited by Seagull; October 27th, 2010, 08:45.

Comment

Thinking about all the things you have been through since I first met you in CV and met you live, and where you are today (and will be in a couple of weeks), I can feel something pressing on in my eyes....., and I can assure you, it is purely of pleasure and happyness!!

I'm so happy for you!!!

Really look forward to the continuity of this thread, and just now, I ended my reading of a three page article about the christening of the car ferry "Romsdalsfjord" in Gdansk in the norwegian MARITIMT MAGASIN nr. 10/2010 which came in my mailbox earlier today.
            Don't know why the article came now, almost a year after the happening, but anyway....., rather interesting reading.

Pardon my 'hustle and bustle' or what it's called, but are you making the decition as to where you will stop along the route as you sail along or are these stops (if multiple) pre-planned...???
            As you've told me that you will try to sail as close to Kristiansund as possible, I will ask; are you sailing totally under your command, or are there a pilot on board on this maiden voyage..??
            (Needless to say I would rather see you docking for a last break in Kristiansund, but it might not be logic as you will be just hours away from home).

All the best to you, Captain!

By the way:
            (the place out in the Trondheimsfjord where the World was built)
            It was built in seven days, or...?

(Oooooo...., how dry the jokes are when time passes midnight and the eyelids are being held up by matches).
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS! Incredible news. I can hardly wait for the stories and pictures. I wish Korsfjord had a web cam.

Comment

As well as the special happiness feelings that Sterkoder describes so well, I was also experiencing that “hustle and bustle” last night when I was trying to work out the likely dates for Korsfjord to reach Norway.

I particularly wondered which places she would be sure to pass close enough to be seen (and not just from way out in the country), and whether some would be inconveniently in the middle of the night.

If I had to bet on it, I was thinking that as Molde is the home port, she might be visible from there at some point?

Just a wild thought ….

Comment

Now the whole thing starts. Needless to say again how happy and proud etceterapepe...

We all have done this before. But wow, what a thrilling timetable. All my best wishes for your journey and good luck in the open sea passages. I can't and won't imagine the feelings on a car ferry like that in open and heavy sea. I hope you don't have to tell us about that experience.

This thread will be another highlight of the forum!! Can't wait for your reports.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

hooray !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Thinking about all the things you have been through since I first met you in CV and met you live, and where you are today (and will be in a couple of weeks), I can feel something pressing on in my eyes....., and I can assure you, it is purely of pleasure and happyness!!

I'm so happy for you!!!
                      I couldn't said it better myself, and I totally second that. Thinking back a year or so, it's fantastic how you have managed to rebuild your career and life in Trondheim, and that in a short time.
                      I know I willl be following this tread very closely and is hoping for frequent postings and photos.

Comment

This is fantastic news Jan-Olav
                        Congratulations to you and the proud honor it is to be captain of the new "Korsfjord" on her maiden voyage from Poland (Gdansk) and back to Norway.

Looking forward to following you on the trip up to Norway and of course lots of pictures when you can publish them.
                        Best wishes from
                        Bengt Domben

Comment

Some of the details are still a bit sketchy but I will, as time gets closer keep you all updated as much as I can.

We will most likely enter Karmsundet just north of Stavanger as the first real "fjord" in Norway, then head upwards passed Bergen (Mr. Tom on the bridge by Knarrvika to Sotra?) and then onwards passed Måløy.

The details of what time and so on, we will not know before we set sail from Poland: likely to happen on November 8th or 9th, after the christening.

Comment

And I forgot: thank you all for your blessings and all well wishes.

I'm so proud to be able sharing this with all those of you that have meant so much to me the past years, since the birth of CaptainsVoyage.

Comment

Some details about the Korsfjord, building number 607/4 of Gdanska Stocznia "Remontowa" S.A., to get you all exited:

Just a little less than 3.000 GRT, 122 meters long, 16.2 meters wide, 3.5 meters draft, capacity of 30 passengers, and a top speed of 18.2 knots on sea trials.

Propelled with 2 MITSUBISHI GS16R-MPTK Gas-Driven engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X