No announcement yet.

Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on the next "monstrosity": http://www.vg.no/forbruker/reise/aar...er/a/23384905/
    Why not just go to Disneyland, or something similar??

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Could not agree more. Not a sight for sore eyes or sanity.

from page 13
    Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    Re: Norwegian Cruise Line and their Freestyle Cruising [NCL]

quistion though,what is this,there are a camera and probally a infra red lamp.
    but only for keep an eye on the playground?
    and why the bleu steel bint below that?

thanks Ombugge for answering this qiustion.
    point 2 in this movie
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    If you are not a cruiser, here is what you "miss" by not going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3wdT0hCYs
    best regards Thijs

Comment

This is becoming routine viewing on CVF now, but it is worth watching again, if for nothing else, for the ship handling: ​http://gcaptain.com/watch-norwegian-...2#.VgDCw_mqpBd
      The weather must be right. To do this with any kind of wind hitting against the broadside of this monster would be difficult due to the limited thruster power available to use in such shallow and narrow waters. (Notice a small tug being swamped by the thruster wash while passing one of the bridges at 4:55)
      Even worse would be gusty wind, with the wind load factor changing in seconds.

PS> They must have reached the size limit with this one. (Three more of the same to go)

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right, the width of 41,4 meters seems to be the limit.
        However, the "Quantum of the Seas" was even 20 meters longer: 348 meter instead of 325.

Norwegian Star in Ponta Delgada, Azores, 26 April 2016

Waking early on my last morning aboard Serenissima in Ponta Delgada, I looked out of my cabin window and was confronted by this!

I dressed and headed up the stairs to Serenissima's aft deck for a better view.

Comment

Zooming in for some closer views:

Comment

Up again and forward I couldn't get the whole of Norwegian Star on one photo at the wide end of my zoom range...

...but up on the bridge wing it was just possible!

Comment

After breakfast, Serenissima's guests disembarked and set off on an excursion with lunch provided at a local restaurant. The group then checked in at the Hotel Marina Atlantico for one night - an arrangement made a month or so earlier following changes in the flight schedule to Lisbon. I was thrilled by my room with its balcony and sea and harbour view. Here is my balcony view of Norwegian Star. The other ship is Zuiderdam.

This is also taken from my hotel balcony! I would have needed very little persuading to extend my trip here watching the ships of the day coming and going.

Comment

Finally a stroll along the promenade with ship views...

...and ice creams!

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing the images of Norwegian Star!

I often catch myself thinking what my life would have been like had I never resigned from NCL.... I would be one of the "oldies" there, and I bet my life would be so different.

But as you, Lady C, I also prefer Serenissima over the Star!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Norwegian Cruiseline's new ship, Norwegian Bliss comes with something new :. A 300 meter long racing track with electric gocarts.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/reise/2017...-far-racerbane

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

• pakarang
                    pakarang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What struck me in a rendering I saw online was that I hope the railings are strong enough to withstand a hit so that the carts don't go flying overboard. That would most likely put a damper on the rest of the cruise.

My boat (ship) is leaking.... Norwegian Breakaway caught in a "bomb cyclone" according to publisher on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-1QWWaRUZI

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

One of the original Norwegian Caribbean Lines "white ships" is now listed for sale at this website.... for a price of 12 million Euro.... I hope she will find a new owner SOON!

She is such a beautiful vessel.... I'd love to see her in Scandinavia as a cruise ship on regular sailings.

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/royal.html

classic cruise vessel for sale in greece

Comment

Norwegian Getaway at Leith, Tuesday 4th June, 2019

"Aren't there any cruise ships at Leith that you’d like to see?" queried D a couple of days ago.
                      I noted that he'd specifically mentioned the Leith/Newhaven area, not Queensferry/Rosyth in the opposite direction ...and that he'd been looking at the latest menus and lunch offers at his favourite restaurant at Newhaven harbour! I actually wasn't all that keen to spend so much time out, having just made a start in posting my cruise photos on the forum, but reluctantly acknowledged that Seven Seas Voyager would indeed be anchored off Leith and tendering to Newhaven on Monday.

However, taking a look at MarineTraffic on Monday morning, I was surprised to see that she was heading away from the Firth of Forth! It had turned out to be far too windy to operate the tenders! So, when the weather had improved by the following day, it was inevitable that we headed for Newhaven where the tendering ship of the day happened to be Norwegian Getaway.

There had been long delays on the bus due to a series of road works, closures and diversions, and I was pleased to see that special buses were operating to take cruise guests wishing to reach the city centre presumably by a direct and delay-avoiding route I have never seen Newhaven looking so busy. There were even buses to shuttle the short distance to Ocean Terminal and the Royal Yacht Britannia! All this was in addition to the ship's coach excursions of course. There was also a busy taxi rank and cars offering private sightseeing. A purple-jacketed welcome team answered questions and steered folk in the right directions. I always like to see locals with leaflets featuring the heritage of the fishing at Newhaven and a stroll around the immediate neighbourhood.

The tide was fairly low, and it is clearly evident what a big difference the dredging and purpose-built tender pier has made since 2017 - the larger cruise ships now using Newhaven harbour on a more frequent basis. There used to be slippy stone steps way back, sometimes in conjunction with the use of a temporary floating barge as pictured in these photos when Queen Victoria tendered here in 2014.

Norwegian Getaway has capacity for 3,969 guests. I lost count of the number of their tenders that were being used on this occasion, and in any case I arrived later than the early morning peak of disembarking for full day and morning excursions. The tourist boat Forth Belle was also being used.

Comment

Looking across the Firth of Forth, here are two tenders paused waiting for the departing tender and Forth Belle in the previous photo to pass. They have to keep to the marked channel when approaching and leaving the harbour.

The colour of the stone work of the harbour wall again gives you an impression of the tidal range - at extremely low tides the harbour at Newhaven gets close to emptying.

Comment

I was very struck by that capacity of 220 persons when used as a tender. The TOTAL number of guests on Serenissima is less than half of just one of Norwegian Getaway's tenders! Phew!

It is midday and the comings and goings have quietened down a bit. Time to head for the Loch Fyne fish restaurant which is located in the end right-hand side of the red-painted old fishmarket building seen in this photo.

It was at this point when, without the crowds, I could see that there seemed to be rather a lot of police type vehicles at the tender pier end of the quay.

Not only police cars but ambulances, a National Risk and Resilience Department vehicle, and an Incident Response Unit van.

...also Coastguard Search and Rescue.

Later I found that only two or three newspapers had reported an incident, stating that ambulance crews had rushed to the harbour after the alarm was raised at 09:30 that morning, and all quoting "a police spokesperson" more or less word for word - or perhaps quoting each other as they get the day of the week wrong.:-
                          "Police in Edinburgh were made aware that a man in his twenties had passed away on board a ship on Sunday [probably Monday] 3 June. The ship docked in Newhaven Harbour on Monday [actually Tuesday] 4 June. The death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.
                          Whilst docked in Edinburgh, two people were taken into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service in connection with medical matters which are believed to be unrelated to the man's death
                          ."

I also saw some people disembarking from a separate tender with suitcases, as if leaving the cruise.
                          I doubt that many of the cruise guests were aware of what had happened, although the various vehicles and ambulances remained in the vicinity, and I see that the ship left somewhat later than scheduled.

Comment

Working...
                          X