No announcement yet.

AIDA cruise vessels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha! I like that tadpole description, ombugge - especially for the baby version! I assume it just signifies waves and water. The design as a whole (by German artist Feliks Büttner) is said to be inspired by Verdi’s opera Aida, which is set in ancient Egypt. (That could all too easily get us on to Ancient Egyptiian motifs in costumes and stage sets for said opera ...but let's not go there!!!)

I must admit that despite me thinking to myself "oh look, a Miss Lippy Line ship", I do rather like the simplicity and boldness of the design, and even more so when compared with most other ships' hull art. And it is fun to photograph ...wasn't it our Tom McNikon who caught two ships apparently kissing?

Anyway, I really came here to say that I now realise I saw AIDAprima in Lisbon just recently, on the 16th of April actually. But this was merely glanced at from a bus, returning from a city tour. I aimed my camera towards the window just as the bus turned off to return the group to our hotel. Birthday celebrations intervened, and I didn't get to a suitable and more impressive viewpoint before the ship left.

Comment

But next day we flew to the Azores to board our ship at the port of Ponta Delgada on the largest island, São Miguel. And there the AIDA of the day was AIDAvita, seen here in full-on-lips view from Serenissima's aft deck.

Later that evening I took a more tadpole-view as AIDAvita rather inelegantly backed out of the harbour under the watchful eye of the pilot boat.

Serenissima remained in port overnight, and I emerged on deck the following morning to find we were aft to aft with AIDAluna.

With a full day excursion on the island, including lunch in a local restaurant, a hiking opportunity, and visits to botanic gardens and hot volcanic springs, AIDAluna had already departed by the time we returned. Little Serenissima then set a course for the smaller islands, and would only encounter one other cruise ship before another two on her return to Ponta Delgada at the end of the cruise. But those later encounters were not AIDA ships and belong in other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        Haha! I like that tadpole description, ombugge - especially for the baby version! I assume it just signifies waves and water. The design as a whole (by German artist Feliks Büttner) is said to be inspired by Verdi’s opera Aida, which is set in ancient Egypt. (That could all too easily get us on to Ancient Egyptiian motifs in costumes and stage sets for said opera ...but let's not go there!!!)

I must admit that despite me thinking to myself "oh look, a Miss Lippy Line ship", I do rather like the simplicity and boldness of the design, and even more so when compared with most other ships' hull art. And it is fun to photograph ...wasn't it our Tom McNikon who caught two ships apparently kissing?

Anyway, I really came here to say that I now realise I saw AIDAprima in Lisbon just recently, on the 16th of April actually. But this was merely glanced at from a bus, returning from a city tour. I aimed my camera towards the window just as the bus turned off to return the group to our hotel. Birthday celebrations intervened, and I didn't get to a suitable and more impressive viewpoint before the ship left.

Awesome image - lucky you! I really would like to see this one myself so that I can determine if I like the bow or not.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some more AIDAprima passing Vlaardingen very early on May 26, 2016

AIDAprima
          by Tom Gulbrandsen, on Flickr

AIDAprima

AIDAprima

AIDAprima
          View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

AIDAprima in Port of Rotterdam

AIDAprima
            View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

I actually think this is a great looking ship, the AIDAprima...

In the beginning I wasn't sure how much I liked that raked bow, but now I think it actually works very vell!

Great shots - hope she comes to Norway some time soon!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

''AIDAperla'' outbound from Rotterdam

best regards Thijs

Comment

notice the 2 pools above the bridge
                  i didn't notice them on the ''AIDAprima'' because nobody was in it.
                  now there was

best regards Thijs

Comment

surrounded by gold

which swan is the prittyest?

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

offcourse, a single look was to much to ask

sure 3 tugs wassn't enough,just throw in a drilling rig

best regards Thijs

Comment

and just as easy add a tanker with them

best regards Thijs

Comment

sharp right to Hamburg

best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh Thijs you have excelled yourself! I was especially amused by #54/2 with the swan and your question, and could imagine adding more giggle-inducing cartoon balloon captions of what the swan is thinking! And then scrolling down through tugs, tankers and oil rigs it just got funnier and funnier

That entrance of the oil rig photo #56/2 is absolutely super first class.

Comment

Working...
                              X