Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the combined pax/cargo ships of Ivarans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The days of combined Cargo/Pax ships is not over. In French Polynesia there are still one, operating between Tahiti and Marquesa Islands: http://www.aranui.com/index.php

There is even a new one under construction for COMPAGNIE POLYNESIENNE DE TRANSPORT MARITIME, due for delivery in Sept. 2015 according to Maritime Matters:

Or maybe not according to this article: https://thecruisepeople.wordpress.co...-the-new-ship/

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Aranui 1, years ago was smaller and quite cheap considering the number of pax. This one looks like Aranui 3, much bigger. I have had my eye on that trip for a while but haven't made it yet.

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      MV Aranui is still going strong and offering cruises in French Polynesia for this year:
      http://www.latecruisenews.com/2018/0...tcairn-island/

Yes the present ship on the run ids the Aranui 3, built in 2002 and a bit smaller.
    The vessel on the picture is a rendering of the new vessel Aranui 5.
    There have been several Aranui, starting with one built in 1966, but it does not appear that there is/was any Aranui 4.

This one and the St. Helena is fairly typical of the type of Cargo/Pax ships still in existence:

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      Much like a beefed up Nordstjernen? A lot of boats in the same picture btw.

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Re the St Helena - I presume she services the island of the same name - her foredeck cargo looks very vulnerable to the South Atlantic swells.

That's what Nordstjernen would be like if she got knocked up!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here is another that is classified as a Passenger/Caro Ship, the Indonesian Inter-island vessel SINOPA:

She has no pax cabins, she only carried deck passengers.

She was built at Ulstein Hatlo in Norway in 1977 as part of a scheme known as "Indonesia's aid to Norwegian shipbuilders".
      What is that?? Norwegian foreign aid was used to shore up Norwegian shipyards by offering terms that did not meet OECD rules. Many of the ships were never paid for and some were sub-standard and shoddily built. (Obviously not this one as she is still trading)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        Re: What happened to the combined pax/cargo ships of Ivarans?

Well, maybe I'm less suspicious than you Svein, but I did NOT see anything suspicious in the text of the PM sent to me:

That he has a Norwegian name but is a Brazilian is not that "suspicious". As you see above, his Father worked in Ivaran for 20 years. Ivaran ships were sailing to ports in South America, especially Brazil. To me it is not that unthinkable that he married there, and that his son(s) got Norwegian names and Brazilian citizenship.
        If my sons had chosen to be Singaporean when they reached 21, they would have been the same. (Norwegian names, foreign passports)

I see he has been banned from CVF, without any proof that he is a "Scammer" or "Spammer". I will send him an E-mail (since he cannot receive PM when banned, I presume??) to find out more about him. I think he is just a genuine person searching for pictures. Maybe not that good at handling the English language and the Forum world.

PS> There is a Adam Sellami Honningsvaag playing for AFK and being "spotted" by talent scouts since very young. The middle name may be Portuguese (or Arabic)? Maybe there is a connection there??

That is true and if you are going to protect yourself from all evil that may be there on the Internet, you may as well stop using computer and 3G phone, whether Apple, Samsung or any other brand.
        ----------------------------------------ERROR JUSTIFICATION------------------------------------------------

Hello members and administrators of forum, this message is to say that I did nothing wrong.
        I was just asking for help.
        I wrote a standard message and sent to many members of the forum.
        Unfortunately I was wronged.
        I could not make any explanations why my repeated messages to various members.
        I did not get the right to be heard.
        Simply I was banned. I could not do anything to prevent my expulsion from the forum.
        I know it was wrong the send repeated messages to several members of the forum. Im Sorry!
        But it was because I did not know how to ask for help in the forum.
        I am Brazilian, son of Norwegians. And may believe. I do not send spam!
        I'm still doing a great depth study of IVARAN.
        If anyone can help me, I will be grateful.
        Any image and information of IVARAN is welcome.
        Regards,

Jan Honningsvåg

Note; My nickname're as HONNINGSVAG because the name Jan Honningsvåg is blocked by the administrator.

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome back Jan. Unfortunately I don't have any more to contribute re; Ivaran at the moment.
          Hopefully nobody get their knickers in a twist and block you this time.

Hallo Jan,
        I cannot give any help on the Ivaran ships as I'm not really into tracing the history of ships or shipping lines. But reading your post above I have looked back to see how your earlier efforts to get help seemed to have been misunderstood.
        It is sometimes very difficult for an administrator to decide whether a new prospective member is genuine or not though there are certain checks that are always made. But once you had joined us, I think the reason that CVF got suspicious was because you sent more or less the same message privately to individual members instead of just one post on an appropriate thread of this forum. That looked like a spammer! But I know that you now understand how this looked suspicious.
        Please don't give up. Perhaps some members will be able to help you as did those on www.shipsnostalgia.com .
        Good luck!
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by HONNINGSVAG View Post

----------------------------------------ERROR JUSTIFICATION------------------------------------------------

Hello members and administrators of forum, this message is to say that I did nothing wrong.
          I was just asking for help.
          I wrote a standard message and sent to many members of the forum.
          Unfortunately I was wronged.
          I could not make any explanations why my repeated messages to various members.
          I did not get the right to be heard.
          Simply I was banned. I could not do anything to prevent my expulsion from the forum.
          I know it was wrong the send repeated messages to several members of the forum. Im Sorry!
          But it was because I did not know how to ask for help in the forum.
          I am Brazilian, son of Norwegians. And may believe. I do not send spam!
          I'm still doing a great depth study of IVARAN.
          If anyone can help me, I will be grateful.
          Any image and information of IVARAN is welcome.
          Regards,

Jan Honningsvåg

Note; My nickname're as HONNINGSVAG because the name Jan Honningsvåg is blocked by the administrator.
          Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Hallo Jan,
          I cannot give any help on the Ivaran ships as I'm not really into tracing the history of ships or shipping lines. But reading your post above I have looked back to see how your earlier efforts to get help seemed to have been misunderstood.
          It is sometimes very difficult for an administrator to decide whether a new prospective member is genuine or not though there are certain checks that are always made. But once you had joined us, I think the reason that CVF got suspicious was because you sent more or less the same message privately to individual members instead of just one post on an appropriate thread of this forum. That looked like a spammer! But I know that you now understand how this looked suspicious.
          Please don't give up. Perhaps some members will be able to help you as did those on www.shipsnostalgia.com .
          Good luck!
          Thank wherrygirl and ombugge.
          I'm happy to be back at the forum.
          Greetings from Brasil,

Jan Honningsvåg

Comment

Working...
          X