Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the combined pax/cargo ships of Ivarans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the late 80's and early 90's, Ivarans thought it would be a very good idea to make some combined passenger container ships.

Does anyone know what happened to these ships?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

This is the MV "Americana", made out to take containers and up to 88 passengers. (Vessels carrying more than 50 pax received preferential treatment for berthing).

She was ment to sail between USA and South-America and had 52 cabins, but never was a success. She seldom sailed with more than 12 pax and eventually, Ivaran got away from carrying pax along.

Her last voyage with pax was 21st May 1999 out of New Orleans, and since then she has been chartered to different trades as a container vessel only.
    She presently carries the name "Golden Trade", owned by a South-Korean company and flying the Bahamian flag. Last thing I know is that che's chartered out to a company called Safmarine.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Sterkoder has beaten me. But i have some links, which confirm his information and you can see some pictures:

http://www.worldshipny.com/americanaart.htm

http://www.merchantships-internation...IMO8608119.pdf

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nakareo5656....html?m=lc&p=6

Here you can see her actual schedule as MV Golden Trade:
      http://www.sinokor.co.kr/en/customer/sub01_03.asp
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hey..., thanks Ralf!

To be honest, I too had to look into some link...., as I can't imagine you guys out there belive I have all info I post around in here in my head all the time...??

But as one of my philosophies is to try to learn one new thing every day...., I like to write info in my own words in a post....., thereby learning and not least remembering what I've learned better. Smart....?

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          To be honest, I too had to look into some link...., as I can't imagine you guys out there belive I have all info I post around in here in my head all the time...??
          Oh come on... you really don't think we would believe that. Off course, it's all in your head...

Looking at one of the links Ralf posted: she does indeed look a little more .... ehhh... how should I say this as nicely as possible... shabby?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh if only I had free time and money in the mid 90's. I could see myself sitting on the aft balcony with a nice glass of wine, binoculars and my camera watching the ship being unloaded in Rio.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
              Oh if only I had free time and money in the mid 90's. I could see myself sitting on the aft balcony with a nice glass of wine, binoculars and my camera watching the ship being unloaded in Rio.
              Looking at the ships condition today, I would guess that dream is no longer?

I wonder, has the markets today changed so much that these ships would become a success now, or is this idea way too old-fashioned?

I have a tendency to think that the era of these kinds of special ships is no longer viable on such a large scale anymore. Cruising has become a high-tech 24-hour fun-filled action vacation. Am I wrong?

Comment

Well, even though the 80's are not "the old days"..., I wonder how many young families and children you can find in pictures from cruiseships in the "old times"...?
                I belive the combined pax/cargo vessels were more than perfect to move elderly blue haired (sorry!) people around on their "cruise"....., but as we all know, cruising of today are so different...., it would not be possible to have such a combination. I'm only thinking out load because I have now knowledge of this area.

The one thing such vessels could be ok for, is to move pax from point A to point B to continue their holidays at that point....., as I belive there are not much entertainment offered on a vessel like the "Americana".

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  The one thing such vessels could be ok for, is to move pax from point A to point B to continue their holidays at that point....., as I believe there are not much entertainment offered on a vessel like the "Americana".
                  Or to offer a way to cross oceans without flying. As discussed in another thread earlier, there are a large number of people who suffer from fear of flying and thus is limited in their scope of travelling.

Fast and efficient Container ships with pax accommodations and basic facilities for entertainment and activities could still be a success on selected routes, if marketed towards such people as a means of transportation, not a cruise.

The number of pax and the routes where this would be feasible is open for discussion.

30-40 pax would not be too much "trouble", nor require additional crew, except for catering department.
                  If more than that, the facilities would have to be more elaborate, take more of the cargo space and require a larger crew, incl. Doctor.

A direct express service on heavily trafficked container routes like Rotterdam - New York area, (7 days @ 20 kts.) or Seattle - Yokohama (9 days @ 20 kts.) would be logical choice for a start.

Longer haul routes, like Long Beach - Sydney (14 days @ 20 kts.) or Felixstow - Hong Kong, via Suez Canal (20 days @ 20 kts) could also be feasible. These voyages would likely be with stop-over in one or more port enroute. Maybe Honolulu or Tahiti for the L.B. - Sydney route. Mumbai or Colombo and Singapore, with continuation to Kaohsiung and Yokohama for the Far East trip.

That would open up the world to travelers who either don't like flying, or for those who love long sea voyages for their own sake.

Comment

two weeks back there was a article about ''cruising on a diferend way''.
                    the most ships has more cabbins than crewmembers and that they are be used for paying passingers (in this case a containervessel from cma-cgm)
                    for 120 euro a day inclusif food ,drinks an other,but not what you used in the bar and that you may walk free on board except the bridge and engineroom
                    (without asking,some captains gave there permission and others not).

gooing ashore issn't almost unposseble because of the short time in port and they won't wait,al of your visa most be ready because there was no possebilyties on board and i some country's on that trip from ( i believe) singapore to rotterdam in the arabian you may not leve the vessel (you can't either,wapend guards at the qua that send you back on board)
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                      two weeks back there was a article about ''cruising on a diferend way''.
                      the most ships has more cabbins than crewmembers and that they are be used for paying passingers.
                      All ships are able to carry up to 12 pax, provided there are cabins and Life Saving Appliances available for the full compliment, incl. pax.
                      If more then 12 pax the vessel need passenger certification, which is not all that difficult to comply with.

What is lacking on most ships is the other facilities required to keep passengers happy, such as places to be and things to do during a long voyage.

Comment

A direct express service on heavily trafficked container routes like Rotterdam - New York area, (7 days @ 20 kts.) or Seattle - Yokohama (9 days @ 20 kts.) would be logical choice for a start.

Longer haul routes, like Long Beach - Sydney (14 days @ 20 kts.) or Felixstow - Hong Kong, via Suez Canal (20 days @ 20 kts) could also be feasible.
                        Being relatively young, at good health and lucky enough to have a full time job..., I could very well go with the Europe-USA or the USA-Japan routes.
                        But as a norwegian employee only have 25 days of holiday pr. year, longer hauls would be uninteresting.

Therefore I would guess the market for combination vessels would only apply to pensioners and other unemployed..., having all the time in the world.
                        I don't think we will se more of these ships in the future as the pax departement will take too much space from the cargo, and I would guess a paying pax would never cover the income for lost cargo space.

Personally I would love to travel on a ship over to the USA, but I would like it to be an old vessel with style and class.
                        (Have to tell you though, that I'm not affraid of flying).

Comment

I don't think you come under the target group for this type of travel since you are not afraid of flying and too busy to take a leisurely trip by sea for more than a few days.
                          Fit Norwegians with limited holidays wouldn't be sufficient market for this idea. They mostly travel to "Syden", (wherever that may be???) in any case.

But I wouldn't dismiss such an idea outright, even it didn't succeed some 20-30 years ago, based on another concept. (Cruise, not transport from A to B)

There are a VERY large potential market among those who has fear of flying, not to mention the soon to be 1/3 of the population in the affluent world who are pensioned off for various reasons at a relatively young age. They have the time and forms the majority of pax on most Cruise ships as well.

As for lost cargo space, that doesn't have to amount to much on a relatively large container ship with a limited number of pax (30-40).
                          Maybe one stack of 40' Containers, which would amount to around 1 - 2% of the capacity on a large "Main Line" container ship. (9-12,000 TEU capacity)

What is more important is that carrying pax don't interfere with the efficient running of the vessel, nor affects the scheduled time in port.

Large Container ships seldom carry 100% revenue paying containers on any voyage, or part of a round trip. Empty containers don't pay much, but neither does empty pax cabins, so this is a matter of market research, and what pays best.

Comment

The german photographer Andreas Vallbracht has made many travels with cargo ships. On his homepage Foto Prachtvoll (www.prachtvoll.de) he has linked up photo stories about his trips. Here is a link to a trip from Hamburg to Rio de Janeiro.
                            ---
                            Regards; Sigve.
                            Regards; Sigve.
                            ---
                            IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thank you for pointing out that link Sigve: it's been a while since I has visited this photographer's galleries.

He is absolutely phenomenal with his camera and his website and images are well worth an in-depth look.

Comment

Working...
                              X