My Ship(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ship(s)

The new thread in the Veteran Ships thread; "Vessels from the old shoe box" gave me an idea for a new thread; "My ship(s)".

For us seafearers this would be a place to present the ships we have sailed on, or been associated with in some manner, during our time at sea or ashore. For other members if could be cruise ships they have been on, or just favourite ships, past or present.

I didn't put this under "Veteran ships built before 1970" thread as that may not be relevant. (In my case that would be OK, but maybe not for all)

To kick it off I'll present the two first vessels I served on:

Training Ship "Soerlandet", Fullrigger, Built 1927, 557 GRT, IMO No.5334561:

I was Trainee from Febr. to early April, 1959 and crew for a trip to Alborg, Denmark and back to Kristiansand. All under sail as she was the last of the large sailing ships to have a propulsion engine installed, which happened the next year. (1960)

Here she is seen in Aalesund during Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race in 2001:

I joined M/T Polyrambler, ex Bergestrand, 16,320 DWT, built in Amsterdam in 1950; IMO No. 5528161 in Rotterdam in early May, 1959:
    (That was also my first time in an airplane, Fred Olsen Airways DC 3)

She was a relatively large tanker for her time and traded World Wide. In fact I got my first "whiff" (literally) of Singapore.
    We carried oil out of Indonesia to Singapore storage when Shell got thrown out in 1959.

She had fire in the Engine Room in the Med and was broken up 1965.

Standard contract was 18 months, but you could sign off after 12 months, if the ship called at a North European port. I signed off in Antwerpen in June, 1960 after more than a year on board, mostly "East of Suez", as did most of the crew since they had their "base" there, or in Rotterdam.
    Some of them hadn't been in Norway since before WWII (1939) and probably never would go home.

That is first installment. More ships to follow.

Hope this will inspire others to come with their contribution, whether "own" ships, or just ships that has taken their fancy. Your fantasy is the limit.
    Last edited by ombugge; April 28th, 2011, 09:22. Reason: Change of building place.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    WOW!!!! She is MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Incredible! What a cool life.

How was the motion of Soerlandet at sea? Do the sails help calm the motion versus a powered ship about the same size?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        Incredible! What a cool life.

How was the motion of Soerlandet at sea? Do the sails help calm the motion versus a powered ship about the same size?
        Well, it was 50 years ago and my first trip at sea so I can't say I remember all that much about the short trips across the Skagerak.
        What I remember best is that we departed and arrived Kristiansand unaided of tugs, but that was NOT allowed in Aalborg.

As for the steadying effect of sails; Yes, a vessel under sail gets a very different motion from a vessel under engine power.
        In fact a lot of small fishing vessels still use a steadying sail on the mizzen mast, which helps them keeping head into wind when drifting and reduce the roll motion when under way.

Here is a few pics from Viksund, showing their boats.

Coastal fishing boat with a mizzen sail: (Furled here)

This one is used for recreational purposes:

And a model of a modern Malo "Sjark" (One man professional fishing boat):

Comment

Training Ship "Soerlandet", Fullrigger, Built 1927, 557 GRT, IMO No.5334561:

Here she is seen in Aalesund during Cutty Sark Tall Ships Race in 2001:
          I just noticed a difference on these two pics. In the first the anchor is a old fashion "Stock Anchor", while in the pics from Aalesund in 2001 she has been equipped with a more modern "Stockless Anchor".
          I would think she has then been equipped with a more modern hydraulic windlass as well?

In my days the windlass was powered by hand, via a Capstan on the Fc'sled. The Capstan had spooks into which up to six wooden bars could be fitted, with two men on each bar.

When berthing in Kristiansand we sailed all the way up to the wharf and dropped one anchor. The other anchor was run out and dropped in position by the longboat and the ship was moored "stern in". All by manpower only.
          The Master at the time had never served on a ship with engine and liked to do things "the old way".

Come to think of it, that was my first involvement with "Anchor Handling".
          Edit: For those who want to know more about this vessel, here is a link: http://www.schoolship.no/
          In the Video section there is even a short cut of them working the Capstan.
          Last edited by ombugge; January 30th, 2010, 09:50. Reason: Add link

Comment

Since nobody else wants to venture into this thread to "show off" their ships I'll continue. My next three ships where Cargo Liners, all belonged to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Toensberg/Oslo.

The first one; MV "Tamesis", IMO No. 5351662, built in Glasgow 1949/50, 10,260 Dwt. Broken up in Taiwan 1978:

I joined her in Oslo in June, 1960 and signed off in Oslo in June 1961. First trip was on the North Europe to Australia route, which took abt. 6 months and included carrying Linje Akevit in old sherry casks for the entire round trip.

Second trip was on the North Europe - Far East run, which included a call at Shanghai + plus loading copra at "numerous" small ports in the Phillipines and Indonesia. This also took abt. 6 months.

After a short holiday I joined MV "Theben", IMO No. 538191, built at Eriksberg, Sweden 1953, 10,570 Dwt. Detained in Basrah in 1980 and eventually broken up at Alang, 2004:

She was one of the first ships with a single engine over 10,000 Bhp and was able to reach 19-20 kts. Served the Express Europe - Far East route, which took "only" 4 1/2 month. (Only main ports visited).
            I got hurt in an accident in Germany and signed off in Jan. 1962 and returned to Norway for recuperation.

In March 1962 I joined the MV "Teneriffa", IMO No.: 5358191, built at Kaldnes, Toensberg, Norway in 1952, 7,835 Dwt. Broken up in 1979:

She was trading North Europe to US East Coast and Gulf of Mexico, incl. Vera Cruz in Mexico, which only took 3 1/2 months per trip.
            I signed off in May, 1962 as I was due to start school that year and the time was too short for another trip to USA.

That was my last ship with Wilh. Wilhelmsen. All these ships carried a crew of around 50 and could carry up to 12 pax.

To be continued.
            Hope somebody else will enter this thread with a presentation of "their" ships, whether as crew members, passengers or just a liking of some ships.

Comment

Beuatiful ships...

I guess I don't need to show off my ships here since most of them have already been presented in other places at the forum and the main page.

I could however give a quick run-down list of "my ships", in chronological order as far as I remember:

Kong Olav
              Polargirl
              Midnatsol
              Vesterålen
              SS Norway
              Royal Viking Sun
              Royal Viking Queen
              SS Norway
              Seaward / Norwegian Sea
              SS Norway
              Norwegian Dream
              Leeward
              Norwegian Star
              Norwegian Majesty
              Crystal Symphony
              Chao Phraya Princess (1)
              Skogøy
              Fosen
              ... and soon "Sogn" as well.

Think I remembered all...
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wanna see an incredibly SHORT list???

Crystal Serenity
                Crystal Symphony

hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                  Wanna see an incredibly SHORT list???

Crystal Serenity
                  Crystal Symphony

hahaha
                  You could add Finnmarken, just because of it's rounded ...., no???

Comment

You could add Finnmarken, just because of it's rounded ...., no???
                    That would be cheating... she hasn't been on her own ship yet...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Remember, since FInmarken is off to Australia, Midnatsol is now "mine"...so to compliment Lady C's Trollfjord????

hmmmm...do tenders count???? Bass boats? Pontoon Boats? Nah, those are boats, not ships................

Comment

M/S "Atlantic" and T/B "Chanko".

So I've been a little with my dad at work. board the M/S "Helgeland" and M/S "Renøy". To a time when the M/S "Ofoten" went the route of "Helgeland" When I was with him at work.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          ....I could however give a quick run-down list of "my ships", in chronological order as far as I remember:
                          Kong Olav
                          Polargirl
                          Midnatsol
                          Vesterålen
                          SS Norway
                          Royal Viking Sun
                          Royal Viking Queen
                          SS Norway
                          Seaward / Norwegian Sea
                          SS Norway
                          Norwegian Dream
                          Leeward
                          Norwegian Star
                          Norwegian Majesty
                          Crystal Symphony
                          Chao Phraya Princess (1)
                          Skogøy
                          Fosen
                          ... and soon "Sogn" as well.

Think I remembered all...
                          Although it was a very temporary assignment, you really should add Ofoten to your list ( it fits between Skogoy and Fosen ) because it is the only one of your ships on which I was sailing when you were on duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – that was on 7 July-2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            Although it was a very temporary assignment, you really should add Ofoten to your list ( it fits between Skogoy and Fosen ) because it is the only one of your ships on which I was sailing when you were on duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – that was on 7 July-2009.
                            Indeed... how could I forget HSC Ofoten!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Indeed... how could I forget HSC Ofoten!
                              Probably quite easily, because I think Skogoy was your favourite, am I right?

Did you ever get to drive Norfolda? (or maybe only on the simulator?)
                              I did sail on Skogøy of course, but you had been whisked away on a charter that day. Skogøy was my absolute favourite of all the HSC’s out of Bodø – oh and I so coveted that model of her in the window of the office !

Comment

Working...
                              X