Cruise Ships Docking in Haiti post-earthquake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Ships Docking in Haiti post-earthquake

I was wondering what everyone here thought of Royal Caribbean continuing to call in the area of Northern Haiti that was pretty much unaffected by the earthquake??

Cruise ships dock at Haiti resort despite quake

and can one of our members tell me approximately how large a quantity is 40-60 pallets???

Originally posted by ehp View Post
    I was wondering what everyone here thought of Royal Caribbean continuing to call in the area of Northern Haiti that was pretty much unaffected by the earthquake??

and can one of our members tell me approximately how large a quantity is 40-60 pallets???
    I think that, if they are doing good and not using up resources, then it is OK or beneficial. If they are using food, water & fuel that the residents need or are taking up human resources, then it is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
      I think that, if they are doing good and not using up resources, then it is OK or beneficial. If they are using food, water & fuel that the residents need or are taking up human resources, then it is not good.
      If I understand the concept of Labadee, Haiti correctly, this place is similar to NCL and RCCL's private islands in the Bahamas and is therefore not a regular port like for instance St Thomas or San Juan. The ship is bringing its own resources and the purpose of the call is simply to spend a day at the beach.

Labadee is 150 km from the disaster area and I'm sure the local population involved in this operation would rather have their regular income than not.

But I hope and believe RCCL is having this tragedy in mind, and offer som extra help where they can contribute.

Comment

I've seen a lot of talk about this on a cruising board.

I don't have a tragedy to compare with Haiti's recent earthquakes. Hurricane Katrina, the Sept 11 terror attacks were traumatic but they only directly affected a small percentage of the US population. The earthquake has probably directly, seriously affected the lives of 1/4 Haiti's population. I imagine that in this time of turmoil and pain that they crave anything "normal". Anything "normal" must be a small piece of what life was like before the earthquakes. Imagine that cruise ship of wealthy Americans passing you by. Your family in the capital is missing and you, already living below poverty, sees you job and only source of income disappear for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post

I agree that to continue normal operations as far as possible is the right thing to do here. To stop all normal activity because of this would only add to the burden and not contribute to the rescue or relief effort on the other side of the island.

A pallet of rice, beans or bottled water could contain anything from 1 - 2 m.tonnes.

Comment

For those that are not subscribing to the Maasmondmaritime Newsletter, should do so, because they cover a lot of interesting maritime news and have supporters from all across the world submitting both images and stories.

This was in their news letter yesterday: Coastal cruise ship gets Haiti mission.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
            X