Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ships & boats in Scottish waters: Year of 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ships & boats in Scottish waters: Year of 2010

    Iced into the Caledonian Canal (Inverness to Fort William) this January. The canal was scheduled to be open but, looking at the ice, nothing seems to have been moving. The weather has been much worse further north so this may explain why.

    Inge Tug




    Has 'Wind Guard' on her funnel and, according to posts on Ships' Nostalgia, was towards the end of 2009 in both Tyneside and Hartlepool. I don't know anything else about her or why she is here.

    #2
    Holiday barge: Fingal






    Loch Linnhe cruise boat Souters Lass belonging to Crannog Cruises

    Comment


      #3
      The frozen water looks really nice and white... kind of magical seeing the boats surrounded by ice.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

      Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

      Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

      Comment


        #4
        Much of the west coast of Scotland woke up to the tourist season at the beginning of March- trip boats, cafes, visitor attractions. The Oban 2010 cruise season has started with the Hebridean Princess.

        Yesterday morning in a very wet, misty Loch Sunart


        and this morning in a much clearer Oban. I'm glad they returned to having a much darker hull this year, last year's blue just didn't look right.


        also in Oban today, the Lord of the Isles.

        Comment


          #5
          The Hebridean Princess is a very charming vessel! Wish she could come to the Norwegian Fjords...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

          Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

          Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

          Comment


            #6
            Lord of the Glens in Oban on 30 April 2010.


            Prices for the cruise through the canal seem to be falling so I might just go along once I catch up on everything I didn't do last month.

            Comment


              #7
              Funchal in Oban Bay this morning.






              MV Quest, refuelling at the North Pier


              It proved difficult to get decent photos because of the strange light that existed because of the return of the volcanic clouds.

              Comment


                #8
                Good to see Funchal working.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

                Comment


                  #9
                  Have anybody seen m/v Vermland on the west-coast of Scotland?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                    Have anybody seen m/v Vermland on the west-coast of Scotland?
                    Is this her? http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=502687

                    In Kyle of Lochalsh at lunchtime, don't know where she's heading next but will keep my eyes open for her.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      Is this her? http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=502687

                      In Kyle of Lochalsh at lunchtime, don't know where she's heading next but will keep my eyes open for her.
                      She's just reappeared, heading north through the Minch, destination Runavik (Faroes ?)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                        She's just reappeared, heading north through the Minch, destination Runavik (Faroes ?)
                        Yes that is the correct ship. The picture you linked til was taken i Harstad.
                        I wonder why they are heading for Faroes? Are there any other Fish-feed delivery boats on the west-coast at the moment?

                        I worked on deck on Vermland for four years, and we had three trips to Scotland after she was sold to show the new crew and the fish-farms how things worked on the ship.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                          Yes that is the correct ship. The picture you linked til was taken i Harstad.
                          I wonder why they are heading for Faroes? Are there any other Fish-feed delivery boats on the west-coast at the moment.
                          I would think there are several... mostly I see the well-boats though. The feed seems to be stored on-site in big tanks (look like submarines) so they must be filled up from something. I do see trucks loaded with sacks of feed but I'll watch out for boats over the summer and take photos of any I see.

                          Where about did you go on Vermland?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                            I would think there are several... mostly I see the well-boats though. The feed seems to be stored on-site in big tanks (look like submarines) so they must be filled up from something. I do see trucks loaded with sacks of feed but I'll watch out for boats over the summer and take photos of any I see.

                            Where about did you go on Vermland?
                            Yes remember there was some smaller ships, but Vermland was the only one with the unloading system that blows the feed from the ship

                            When I was on Vermland we were transporting feed in Norway, mostly the northern part of Norway.
                            In Scotland we only traveled on the west coast and out to the Hebrides.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                              Yes remember there was some smaller ships, but Vermland was the only one with the unloading system that blows the feed from the ship
                              If that is still the situation, then I must see Vermland around the local lochs. I'll look closely next time I see a ship near a fish farm.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X