Ships & boats in Scottish waters: Year of 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ships & boats in Scottish waters: Year of 2010

Iced into the Caledonian Canal (Inverness to Fort William) this January. The canal was scheduled to be open but, looking at the ice, nothing seems to have been moving. The weather has been much worse further north so this may explain why.

Inge Tug

Has 'Wind Guard' on her funnel and, according to posts on Ships' Nostalgia, was towards the end of 2009 in both Tyneside and Hartlepool. I don't know anything else about her or why she is here.

Holiday barge: Fingal

Loch Linnhe cruise boat Souters Lass belonging to Crannog Cruises

Comment

The frozen water looks really nice and white... kind of magical seeing the boats surrounded by ice.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Much of the west coast of Scotland woke up to the tourist season at the beginning of March- trip boats, cafes, visitor attractions. The Oban 2010 cruise season has started with the Hebridean Princess.

Yesterday morning in a very wet, misty Loch Sunart

and this morning in a much clearer Oban. I'm glad they returned to having a much darker hull this year, last year's blue just didn't look right.

also in Oban today, the Lord of the Isles.

Comment

The Hebridean Princess is a very charming vessel! Wish she could come to the Norwegian Fjords...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Lord of the Glens in Oban on 30 April 2010.

Prices for the cruise through the canal seem to be falling so I might just go along once I catch up on everything I didn't do last month.

Comment

Funchal in Oban Bay this morning.

MV Quest, refuelling at the North Pier

It proved difficult to get decent photos because of the strange light that existed because of the return of the volcanic clouds.

Comment

Good to see Funchal working.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Have anybody seen m/v Vermland on the west-coast of Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                    Have anybody seen m/v Vermland on the west-coast of Scotland?
                    Is this her? http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=502687

In Kyle of Lochalsh at lunchtime, don't know where she's heading next but will keep my eyes open for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      Is this her? http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=502687

In Kyle of Lochalsh at lunchtime, don't know where she's heading next but will keep my eyes open for her.
                      She's just reappeared, heading north through the Minch, destination Runavik (Faroes ?)

Comment

She's just reappeared, heading north through the Minch, destination Runavik (Faroes ?)
                        Yes that is the correct ship. The picture you linked til was taken i Harstad.
                        I wonder why they are heading for Faroes? Are there any other Fish-feed delivery boats on the west-coast at the moment?

I worked on deck on Vermland for four years, and we had three trips to Scotland after she was sold to show the new crew and the fish-farms how things worked on the ship.

Comment

Yes that is the correct ship. The picture you linked til was taken i Harstad.
                          I wonder why they are heading for Faroes? Are there any other Fish-feed delivery boats on the west-coast at the moment.
                          I would think there are several... mostly I see the well-boats though. The feed seems to be stored on-site in big tanks (look like submarines) so they must be filled up from something. I do see trucks loaded with sacks of feed but I'll watch out for boats over the summer and take photos of any I see.

Where about did you go on Vermland?

Comment

I would think there are several... mostly I see the well-boats though. The feed seems to be stored on-site in big tanks (look like submarines) so they must be filled up from something. I do see trucks loaded with sacks of feed but I'll watch out for boats over the summer and take photos of any I see.

Where about did you go on Vermland?
                            Yes remember there was some smaller ships, but Vermland was the only one with the unloading system that blows the feed from the ship

When I was on Vermland we were transporting feed in Norway, mostly the northern part of Norway.
                            In Scotland we only traveled on the west coast and out to the Hebrides.

Comment

Yes remember there was some smaller ships, but Vermland was the only one with the unloading system that blows the feed from the ship
                              If that is still the situation, then I must see Vermland around the local lochs. I'll look closely next time I see a ship near a fish farm.

Comment

Working...
                              X