• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's PILOT BOATS

Pilot on board! Pilot boats!

Starting with LOS 118 in Ålesund last week:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Oh super! Another great thread idea from pakarang, and something else to look out for . And right on cue, in checking my most recent photos of Ålesund (looking for things in your photos which seem to be new since I was there) I discover I have seen LOS 118 (yes it is that one, as I can see the 118 on scrutinizing the lifebelt on the full resolution original!!)

And, a bonus . . . .may I also present LOS 099 :-

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      Oh super! Another great thread idea from pakarang, and something else to look out for . And right on cue, in checking my most recent photos of Ålesund (looking for things in your photos which seem to be new since I was there) I discover I have seen LOS 118 (yes it is that one, as I can see the 118 on scrutinizing the lifebelt on the full resolution original!!)

And, a bonus . . . .may I also present LOS 099 :-

LOS 118 is the new pilot-vessel to Aalesund delivered in 2009 from Dockstavarvet AB in Docksta, Sweden.
      The design is Alupilot 16500 and they have also built LOS 115, LOS 116 and LOS 117 of the same design.
      Her engines are two Volvo Penta D16C and total Bhp is 1099. Service speed 25 knots, with 29 knots max in trials.
      (LOS 118 was the replacement for LOS 097 that went on ground near Mandal a few weeks ago).

Great thread, Jan-Olav..., and great pictures both!
      Last edited by Sterkoder; November 19th, 2009, 12:39.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Instant feedback and detailed information from Sterkoder. Big thank you, Big S

Comment

Nice day time images from Ålesund! Love the wide angle of the first one - first class.

Actually, I had a request a while ago to create a 'pilot-boat' thread but in the heat of the moment, I completely forgot to do it. That means, if you have an idea for a new thread, don't wait for me to do it: it might take some time...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I may have posted one or two of these on the old forum. These are some of the pilot boats I saw on my cruise last year.

Unfortunatley most of the pilots were taken aboard very early in the morning and just so you know I was not out late partying every night... Here is a picture (although very bad) of us taking on our pilot long before dawn.

This was the pilot boat for Huatulco, Mexico. I saw the boat later in the day being used as a ferry or tour boat. Notice the proper use of important safety equipment as fenders.

The pilot boats along the Panama Canal are all very similar but at least I was able to get good shots of them during the daylight since we transferred pilots several times during our transit through the canal.

This is the pilot's station close to the Pacific side. It was amazing to watch them hanle their boats. They docked faster and easier than most people park their car. No slowly creeping up to the dock and tossing a line. They came into their little harbor dropping off a plane. Motored up to the slip at hull speed (8 knots?), turned hard to spin the boat around, throw it into reverse and gun the engine to back into the slip at several knots, then forward gear and gun the engine to stop and never touch the dock. True professionals.

While not technically a pilot boat there was a transfer of crew & gear while underway. This craft was bringing the ships photographers back aboard after we cleared the canal.

Comment

"Los 101" inbound to Tromsø,service speed at 25.5 knots.

This is "Los 100" service speed at 18-19 knots.

Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

"LOS099 " going out from it's base in Kristiansund 15. July 2009

"LOS102 " arriving after a mission 22. July 2009

"LOS102 " arriving as "Prinsendam" is sailing through the Markussundet inlet 22. July 2009

Comment

I like the look of Norweigan pilot boats. The high, fully enclosed pilothouse with a rounded front tells that they are made for rougher weather.

Comment

See! I just knew this was going to be a great thread! Suddenly everyone finding they’ve been attracted to photographing pilot boats all along and these photos were just sitting there on some lonely hard drive just waiting to be shared! And this is even before anyone goes out actually looking out for any.

Perhaps it’s because I find pakarangs title for this thread so delightful. I can just see him, full of enthusiasm, big gorgeous grin all over his face, waving his arms in the air in excitement and encouragement, as his camera-clutching crew all come running to photograph the pilot boat he’s just spotted!

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      "LOS102 " arriving as "Prinsendam" is sailing through the Markussundet inlet 22. July 2009
                      Genius image: beautiful composition which really works very well!

Great images all.... interesting to study the differences in design.

And who knows, maybe I will end up on a pilot boat. I have applied for a position as a pilot boat driver in Lødingen in Nordland, and the application is currently being reviewed. Does anyone know which "Los" sails there?

Comment

I'm not quite sure, but earlier this year it was "LOS 093" that operated out of Lødingen. (It's the old type vessel, so it might be sold resently. Have to investigate...).
                        Here's an image of "LOS 093" by Kurt L. Olsen

Comment

Jepp, just found out. "LOS 093" was put up for sale this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Jepp, just found out. "LOS 093" was put up for sale this summer.
                            Help me hope and pray for an engagement as pilot boat skipper on a brand new pilot vessel in Lødningen! Haven't heard anything as of yet but this is something I could see myself actually doing and enjoying very much.

Comment

Operating out of Lødingen is "LOS 107" delivered in 1998.

Foto: Geir-Arne Jensen

I really hope you got your chanse with the Kystverket and being a pilot-boat driver!!!
                              Had I personally known anyone I thought could help in the process, I would've put an immense preassure
                              on them to help your application!!!!
                              No matter what's being said in humor here in the CV forum about you being here-there-everywhere in a speed nobody
                              else could keep up with...., I see you as the calm, down to earth and cool person needed in such a chair.
                              Just remember, when the pilot stand ready and jump over to the ship ladder, his/her life is in your fingertips operating the
                              joysticks and your mind, able to read the seas movement....
                              Last edited by Sterkoder; November 20th, 2009, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X