Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show - 50th Anniversary!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well documented over 7 full pages with text and incredible images (particularly the night shots at the 6th and 7th page).

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/ge...-coverage.html

Looks like underwater lights has become a new hit! Looks incredibly nice at night though!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Well..., what can I say...?

If I ever, for any reason, were to be invited on board one of those huge steam irons for coffee, I would most likely say yes and let myself get impressed by the vessel.

Yes, I can drive like a maniac around in Kristiansund to get as good pictures as possible if such a yacht were to anchor in the harbour (Been there, done that).

The production of such vessels also mean that thousands upon thousands of people have a job to go to.

Then, the three points above considered, looking into the link from Fort Lauderdale...., something makes me sick.

Who are these fat and happy souls around who really need such vessels to live and do business...?
    Some of them have several of different size also, and in this crazy time and age (economy and environmental)...., who really needs larger and larger and more and more costly vessels...?
    Is it really neccessary to flash their lifestyle and wealth in a way like this...?
    I'm convinced there's a possibility to do any business agreement and to be very, very rich and live a high personal life with the luxary yachts already sailing on the oceans.
    The same goes for business- and corporate jets.
    But you see...., if there's a lower rate, or no rate at all, of production of such useless things, the world of industry will suffer, millions of people will be unemployed and we'll see an economical crises never seen on earth.

So, the world of us western fat and happy human beings are all about production, wether we need the products or not.

I have many more questions, but please click into those 9 pages in the link and make your own thoughts and questions....

I'm not particularly good at saving the environment, but that Fort Lauderdale-link is only about flashing richdom if you ask me....
    (Some of you might be a bit shocked about my attitude, but I can't help it).

Just to prove that I've "been there, done that"...., here's my picture of "Triple Seven" owned by the Chelsea Football Club owner Mr. Abramovitsj, when she visited Kristiansund one foggy day in June of 2007 (And even he owns more yachts of this kind that I have fingers on one hand).
    Last edited by Sterkoder; December 27th, 2009, 22:32.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Who are these fat and happy souls around who really need such vessels to live and do business...?

Is it really neccessary to flash their lifestyle and wealth in a way like this...?

If I may, Big S, as I am an American...and I see this so much in Atlanta and New York.

They are tacky nouveau-riche Americans (ok, and other nationalities) who think they can make themselves look more important by the price of their toys.

The same types whose trophy wives spend $400 on a bottle of wine at lunch.

The kind who think "It's all about me, me, me".

The same ones who immediately turn you down when you ask for a donation to open a homeless shelter or to be a sponsor for an after-school arts program for underprivileged kids.

I will now get off my little soapbox and end with a

Comment

It's the holidays and there are no need to go to work, besides I'm on a sick leave.
        That mean that after a good meal yesterday, I broke down under the temting pressure of good coffee and cognac during the evening.

"Under the influence" I belive what I really mean comes forward, but let me just point out also: I'm NOT against people being rich or making obscene amount of money. I do like people having the ability to spend money around, either on other family members or on something good for the community....., it's mainly the flashing I don't particularly enjoy...

I do also see the need for yachts and private jets, but if you got one or two mega yachts..., do you need five more? And if you got one or two private jets, do you need four more? And who really needs a Boeing 737, 727 or 747 as a private jet? (Not talking about governmental jets, AF1 and such).
        Just heared about an overly rich human down in one of the emirates now, who wonder about buying himself an Airbus A380 as a private jet.

Well...., we all are different, that's what make it all so interesting
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          It's the holidays and there are no need to go to work, besides I'm on a sick leave.
          That mean that after a good meal yesterday, I broke down under the temting pressure of good coffee and cognac during the evening.

"Under the influence" I belive what I really mean comes forward, but let me just point out also: I'm NOT against people being rich or making obscene amount of money. I do like people having the ability to spend money around, either on other family members or on something good for the community....., it's mainly the flashing I don't particularly enjoy...

I do also see the need for yachts and private jets, but if you got one or two mega yachts..., do you need five more? And if you got one or two private jets, do you need four more? And who really needs a Boeing 737, 727 or 747 as a private jet? (Not talking about governmental jets, AF1 and such).
          Just heared about an overly rich human down in one of the emirates now, who wonder about buying himself an Airbus A380 as a private jet.

Well...., we all are different, that's what make it all so interesting
          It's the "flashing' that bugs me as well. So much good in the world to be done. I call it my "$2500 thing". Ever since I found out that $2500 was the average cost of digging a well for a village in Central America, when I see lavish over-the-top weddings or other showy displays, I think how many wells that could dig...........

It's just my own little "thingy"....probably driving my family nuts.....

Comment

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I wore the slick suit and heard the turbines start as I stepped up to the plane. Then I spent three + weeks by myself in Finland in the winter. Much of the time spent way up north. I quit that ***y job two weeks after returning home and have never made as much money since... and I am much happier.

That said. I love boat shows and would love to spend a day aboard a mega yacht. They are just so... out there... mega expensive and so far out of my reality. I just want one day to pretend. Then back to my current reality where at Christmas most of our relatives receive a card saying they just bought a cow for someone in Africa.

But back to the boat show. At first I hated the ultra modern style with the vertical or reverse bow line. Last night I lay awake designing my mega yacht (I had not yet read this thread). I'm thinking of a 300ft long 30ft beam, two deck ulta yacht with a master suite and two guest cabins. A really long reverse bow angle with an ancient Greek battering ram cutting the waves. Long, narrow black hull with the slightest touches of chrome just to keep it from looking too evil. Very sleek and low. Not a planing hull. I want massive speed in a displacement hull with a canoe stern to gently bring the water back without the usual monster stern wave. I'm torn. Do I want gas turbine power which is quiet and smooth or just some big A$$ diesels with no mufflers. Pipes the size of a train tunnel sticking through the upper deck at a rackish angle unleashing a rumble that can be felt beyond the horizon. Oh, and a mini gun or M249 on the stern for ultra nouveau-riche skeet shooting.

Contrast this to my "last years dream yacht" that was a typical white, Hatteras that was very calm and civilized.

Comment

Wow pilotdane, you are in good form this morning! . . .or last night or whenever it was for you . . . anyway thanks for such splendidly written posts - you just won a Wake-up Seagull Award for entertaining reading while enjoying my first mug of coffee for the day. . .

Comment

Dane--I gotta come back and read that again after I am fully awake!!!!!!! wow!

Comment

Working...
                X