This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cruiseships on Google Earth.

I think the left 3/4 of the ship looks like Carnival Destiny I'm going by the water slide mid ship and they skylight and pool on the aft end and that Wikipedia says she's based in Miami. Then for the right 1/4 I think it's the stern of Carnival Imagination the only Fantasy class based in Miami. That stern water slide is pretty distinctive.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this actually is proposed. I proposed X-bow on Cruise ships some time ago. That would make it possible to make the bow a revenue earning area.
      The reason why I commented on this in more technical details is that I did come across an Accommodation Barge where they had "squared off" the bow to get more deck space.
      After the first job they had to bring her in for major modification. (I think I may even have posted some pics and comments on that barge)

Comment

I just checked and the double sterned ship is only visible on Google Maps.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
          I don't know if anyone has spotted this new Carnival ship on Google Earth/Maps yet. She's docked in Miami. She's not visible until you zoom in close enough where the imagery changes and this new cruise ship design appears. Apparently Carnival has figured a way to offer more pool and deck space by eliminating the bow.
          Now that seemed like a little puzzle that i thought i would pursue, identifying the stern that seems to have been stuck on the front end of the Carnival ship. It's not showing up on G/E for me, but i thought i would play with the time lines and see what other ships have been captured on film in that berth. Could find nothing with a stern that matched that strange bow BUT i did find this grand lady sitting there in Jan 2003

PS. I posted this without reading the rest of the thread forward from Dane's original post, so did not spot that Dane had already sussed out the mystery stern section (Carnival Imagination), but finding the Norway there made my brief look worthwhile after all.
          Last edited by Steve.B; July 19th, 2012, 01:11. Reason: Adding PS
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Fabulous find Steve!!!!!!

Comment

The Sestri Ponente shipyard near Genoa - Italy. Date 22-11-2005

Google Earth captures an image of the ill fated Costa Concordia, just weeks away from being finished and fully fitted out.

I have just been reading about her early life, i am not normally overly superstitious, but having just read that during the naming ceremony, the bottle failed to break against the hull on the first attempt, maybe there is something to that particular superstition after all.

Source - A short history of the Costa Concordia.
              Last edited by Steve.B; January 12th, 2013, 17:12.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Just a link to the more general puzzle thread that takes you to something afficionados of this one might enjoy puzzling over

Comment

Not really "cruise ships per say"....

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                    in the Caracas bay near Willemstad Curacao;

could this be the same one?and which one she is
                    from the beaches of Alang.

best regards Thijs

Comment

• and this one?
                      have the idea that it are both princess cruises vessels.

best regards Thijs

Comment

• Gaelsail
                        Gaelsail commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The passenger ship at the foot of this photo #100 looks like Discovery.

• janihudi
                        janihudi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        that was the first what came up to me too.i placed it in my image folder as discovery.
                        the funnel head is typical pacific cruises,as we have seen for years on the tv show yhe love boat.
                        but that one is scraped in turkey

• Gaelsail
                        Gaelsail commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So we are both right. Discovery went on to the beach at Alang and MidShipCentury has got a lot of her fittings. If you look at the photo at the top of their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidSh...s/116704149386 and then look down through recent posts (currently 3rd) the ship's fittings are mentioned as coming from India.

• Studying them section by section I don't think the last two are the same boat, and I doubt if either are the boat in #99.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• no there not the same,only those in post 99 are/looks the same vessel, but 13 in a dozen.
                        look at the stern decks and the 2x 4 lifeboot daveds each side,it's the same,but paintless
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

• Which are you comparing with which now?
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
                            janihudi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            the 2 images from post 99,these are the same vessel

• I'm just back from Germany, and was only going to have a quick peep on CVF, but here's an immediate interesting distraction from essential tasks! Yes, I agree janihudi and Gailsail that the ship in #100 is Discovery.

As well as that ship's appearance fitting Discovery, it is also in exactly the right place! I had kept the AIS track when, then renamed Amen, she was beached in Alang - displayed on a Google Earth background similar to the one Bengt shows in his last picture on the post #258/2 of Discovery's thread.
                          Of course the ships shown then predate the beaching, but here is a hugely enlarged detail so that you can see the details of roads and surroundings on land nearby.

I've now gone to Google Earth to capture a similar view showing the land, and you can see the improvement in the imagery Google Earth is now using for this area, which is dated 19 March 2015.

Last edited by Seagull; July 6th, 2015, 15:34.

Comment

Working...
                          X