Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same effect as taking a bathingball between your hands and bring it a meter or so under water when in a pool.
    When you release your grip on the ball, be sure to keep your face away...., because that ball will be a rocket.

Trapped air when forced under water have tremendous power...
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I've delivered pictures of "Viking Athene" before...., I know...., but it is something I can't put my finger on when it comes to the design of this vessel. I like it alot! Maybe it got something to do with her appearing strong and "standing tall"....? I don't know, here's another picture taken in Kristiansund this afternoon....

©S. Ludvigsen

Comment

She does indeed appear very 'sturdy and strong' and she got a pleasant design, even though it is a bit bulky. Sometimes, it just works very well, I agree.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Great captures from Tromso...

I wonder though, why this vessel, Svartfoss, often when I see her, she has a significant forward trim...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I spotted this cruise ship heading throught the Miraflores Locks today.

http://webcams.pancanal.com/common/p...iraflores.html

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut
              More and less every time she or her sister ship is sailing by they have forward trim.But even though they have this forward trim, they are going with a service speed between 15.5 - 16.5 knots.But it look's a bit odd,because its seldom to se this two ships at even keel.I have seen her fully loaded many times,but still she has big forward trim.I wonder if this is a economic way to sail
              Some ships does indeed produce better speeds at forward trim, but it is quite unusual I think. The only other ship I can think of sailing better at forward trim, was the Leeward of Norwegian Cruise Line: she sailed best at 1.05 meter forward trim because the water slipped better away from the stern then (she had a very unusual design beneath the water line and aft trim created additional drag aft of the ship).

pilotdane: thanks for the Panama Canal capture of today: I think it looks like one of the Silver Seas - ships...: could it be the Silver Shadow maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                could it be the Silver Shadow maybe?
                ooh, my friend is the head sommelier on Shadow....

Comment

sommelier
                  For those in favour of beer out there (me included), a sommelier is someone who knows his/her wines....

EDIT: By the way, "Silver Shadow" was last seen in the Panama Canal according to my info, so that might most certainly be her...
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; February 24th, 2009, 01:11.

Comment

Bengt, it looks sooo COLD there today!! I'm watching the robins play out in the garden...I guess spring is here in Georgia--HOORAY!

Comment

Both trawlers look a bit low in the bow but Harvest seems to be sitting very low in general. I am not used to seeing open ocean ships with such shallow freeboard. I imagine her main deck is under water often in heavy seas when she is fully loaded.

Comment

Thank you for the video. I am glad I decided to NOT become a fisherman in the North Sea. On the positive side they do not have to wash down the decks. Mother nature seems to be doing a very thorough job.

I am afraid I would not make a good captain on that boat. I would have the deck hatches welded shut.

Comment

This is why you will never find me on the North Sea in winter....wow...um...I gotta go lie down..I think I'm seasick...

Comment

Oh...., could I ever experience rough seas!!!

You can't get a low cost ride in heavy seas anymore, and even the katamaran between Kristiansund and Trondheim docks in the worst weather.
                            (The boat can take it, but the company wants to spare the passengers for the ride).

I miss riding in huge waves so much, I'm almost on the edge of asking the Pilot for a free ride one day or another...

Comment

Fabulous update from the North! Thank you very much Asimut.

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut
                                And a picture from yesterday evening of "Olympic Prawn"
                                Asimut, such great photos from Tromsø recently!
                                I was especially delighted with the photo of Olympic Prawn in your earlier posting. OK, I am about to say something really silly – or maybe not – is it just me that finds that name amusing?
                                Anyway, nothing in the gorgeous smile of the day thread gets anywhere even close to the effect a ship called Olympic Prawn has on me!
                                However, the giggling has eventually subsided and normal service resumed, and I have been having a most fascinating and informative diversion discovering more about Olympic Shipping, for example on its website
                                http://www.olympic.no/default.asp?menu=7

I was interested to read about their ship F/F Jan Mayen and the research activities of the University of Tromsø, as well as all their offshore and fishing activities. What a lot of exciting things this company is involved in.

Comment

Working...
                                X