Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! Didn't think it became this nice myself...., but looking at it, I'm pretty satisfied.
    Here's a little one I forgot: The little lifeboat trainer over at ResQ
    Last edited by Sterkoder; December 6th, 2009, 00:50.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Cargo ship "Nordfjell" docked at Breivika harbour with machine breakdown.She should have been in Ålesund tonight if everything had been in order.
      These cargo ships is getting pretty down run to say the least.

Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        Thank you! Din't think it became this nice myself...., but looking at it, I'm pretty satisfied.
        Here's a little one I forgot: The little lifeboat trainer over at ResQ
        I would love to motor up and down the waterway in my very own life boat.

Comment

Here is one for Pilotdane:

Free fall Life boat on BBC Alabama

Comment

Cable Ships

Here is a type of ships that is not seen many places in the world but these three were seen at Eastern Anchorage, Singapore today:

Standing by to await the next cable break disaster that take out the Internet for half the world.
            Contrary to popular belief most of the communication between continents goes via fiber optic cables on the seabed. (Not by satellite, or simple magic)

Comment

At dock 8 down at Vestbase, the drillship "West Navigator" is 1 1/2 week into its 3 weeks classing. This is how she looked this afternoon.

Container vessel "Transporter" at dock 9. If you take a look at the top a bit to the right, far out in the ocean, you'll see Grip lighthouse, and just as far out, in the upper left corner...., you'll see Grip itself with all the houses. The blue large hall with the top of a large yellow crane you can spot there, are the crane and the large hall marked 'STERKODER', as you might have seen on some of my earlier pictures.

Even though "Transporter" is a large skip, it's nothing compared to "West Navigator"

Other vessels at Vestbase today: "Viking Queen" at dock 7, "Volstad Princess" and "Far Seeker" at dock 6, and if you have good eyes, you might spot "Ocean Sky" at dock 3 and a flotell at dock 2
              Last edited by Sterkoder; December 7th, 2009, 19:23.

Comment

By coincident I visited a ship by the name Transporter today:

She is also a Dutch owned and operated Heavy Lift ship, but of the semi-submersible type, while "yours" is equipped with two fairly large cranes (275 m.t. SWL) and specializes in Project Cargo transport world wide. Operated by Mammoth BV

I'm a bit surpriced by the two cranes being placed on opposite sides. Usually they are on the same side for better reach when lifting in tandem. (500 m.t. for this vessel)

Here is a few more pics of the HVC "Transporter" in Singapore today, preparing to load the jack up drilling rig "West Prospero" on Thursday:

The Pakarang view: (Not many ships has draft marks to 9.5 m. above deck

The deck is laid out with cribbing to receive the rig:

I was out there today to check that the cribbings and Guide posts were in correct positions. (Within +/- 2 cm.)

Reverting with a "report" in the HLC thread once the job is done and they are on the way to Sudan, where the "West Prospero" will be working for the next few months.

Comment

Many new ships and many great reports from around the world! very enjoyable to have such a good crew to share these images!

ombugge, I really envy your job there in Singapore, getting to see and learn so much about all different kinds of vessels. You must have a most interesting day I believe.

What a mastodon that "Tronsporter" is. Waow... that is a large bow and stern!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    The RO RO ship Vasaland stopped by Trondheim a few days ago:

... to unload a whole load of US ARMY marked Hummer's:

According to this article, a total of 315 US Army Hummers were unloaded at Trondheim from the Vasaland.

The vehicles are being sent to storages at Lånke, Verdal and Bjugn. Only 17 drivers brought the 315 vehicles ashore to a temporary depot. Some of the vehicles will be transported out from town by trailer (truck).

Vasaland is 20.500 GRT, 155 meters long and was built in 1984.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The Pakarang view: (Not many ships has draft marks to 9.5 m. above deck
                      I see what I belive are chainmarks after the anchor chains crossing over the bow.
                      If this is from the anchor chains; whenever is it neccessary to X the anchors...?

Comment

I see what I belive are chainmarks after the anchor chains crossing over the bow.
                        If this is from the anchor chains; whenever is it neccessary to X the anchors...?
                        I think it's more one anchor being stretched over the bow due to changing current after a long stay at anchor.

Over time, both anchors have stained the bow and made marks. She probably spends a lot time at anchor.

Comment

Ok. Thought it was X'd deliberately maybe to stabilize the vessel, but I see your point Thanks for enlighten me, Sir!

Comment

Ok. Thought it was X'd deliberately maybe to stabilize the vessel, but I see your point Thanks for enlighten me, Sir!
                            I think it's more one anchor being stretched over the bow due to changing current after a long stay at anchor.

Over time, both anchors have stained the bow and made marks. She probably spends a lot time at anchor.
                            In this case it could be a little bit of both. The reasons may be:
                            - She is due for her first drydocking since conversion in March/April next year.
                            - She has spent nearly three months at anchor OPL Singapore before this job.
                            - They are using a tug on the stern to "force" her into the right relative postion during loading operation.

FYI This is the first of six identical single hull tankers converted in China into HLC as thery reached their "phase out" age of 25 years and could no longer be used to carry crude oil or petroleum products by IMO MARPOL rules, but with the machinery still being in good condition.
                            The mid-section is new, only the bow and stern, including the machinery, is original, with some modifications.

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Container ship "Tege" at Breivika harbour.She has been docked for the last 6 days.(Christmas vacation)

The Russian FV "Korund" enjoying the christmas in Tromsø this year.

Best wishes from
                                Bengt Domben

Comment

Working...
                                X