This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new record for Rotterdam.

i was standing at the gate to Rotterdam,taking 15 minutes, hoping for some vessels when i saw at see a big vessel inbound.
    looking at marine traffic it was the ''Mumbai Maersk''.
    well she is a biggie,but to far away ,so the 15 minutes would be much more.
    still more vessels sailing in and out,and the Mumbai was closer every minute.
    so i waith for it.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...UMBAI%20MAERSK

fully loaded

best regards Thijs

Comment

the record she set was of the containervessel with the most teu on board, 19.038, never ever was er a vessel that had more teu on board.
      she wasn't fully loaded,her maximum is 20.568 teu
      she issn't the biggest too,that's this moment a part of the OOCL fleet, a serie of 6 vessels with 21.413 teu each.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh, I know all about TEU's. (just looked it up ). BUT are all 20ft. containers the same width?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          One out of three is not bad.
          Standard ISO shipping containers are 8ft (2.43m) wide, 8.5ft (2.59m) high and come in two lengths; 20ft (6.06m) and 40ft (12.2m). Extra tall shipping containers called high-cube containers are available at 9.5ft (2.89m) high.Apr 11, 2017

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          there is some differences in wideness.
          but then we're just talking of cm's.
          the outer corners have the same size,but the sidewalls have just a slighter wave patern ,which give them them a 1,5 a 2 cm more.
          sometimes we had to ask for a 2,34meters wideness,otherwise didn't fit the cartons between it.

hmm, now typing it,we had that for the 40ft containers for shure,now i'm i doubt for the 20ft.

but there is also a 45ft container and that are mostly hcpw containers, high cube pallet wide
          in normal containers won't fit 2 standard pallets 1,20x1.20 meter side by side,but in a pw container does.
          the container cornerposts are at the same places for the twistlicks ,but they are some wider,all in all ,it's just about 3or4 cm each side.

at top of the front row the yellow containers are 45ft, about 1,20 longer as a 40ft ,which is twice the lenght of a 20ft the standart teu
          at the second row the three top rows are also 45ft
          you can see the line at them which are in the same line as the 40 ft below them,those 45 ft containers have at the same place as the 40ft ,the corner posts.
          thatswhy the are Always on top ,they wont fit between the steel posts on deck and below deck

in the third row from the front you see the 2 hamburg sud container,if you look very good you see the difference between the standard hight and the high cube (the upper one)
          we can also see it at the yellow black stickers at the corners

Hiccup! I've worked through your answers and digested them. Many thanks to both of you. So those differences, though slight, help to explain why it is said that TEU's are only an approximate estimate of load.
        With weight and dimensions to take into account, loading modern container ships must be a technical nightmare! Stevedores of old would be flabbergasted.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          A teu is a size box of the standard size Ombugge explain. The 6 meter box. But a 40ft box is also 1 container, but counts as 2 teu. 2x6 meter is 12 meter.

In a port they can set many cranes on a vessel, just depends how long the vessel is. I had seen them with 7 cranes for 1 vessel. In this case for rotterdam there are multiple stacks on board to unload. Those giants just sail to a few ports on a roundtrip
          Last edited by janihudi; September 10th, 2018, 16:29.

I know there are some storage of containers in the hull/below deck, but what in the name of God will she look like with 20.000+ containers on board??
        As on these images, I count about 4500 over deck, and how there are space for 16.000 below deck is not understandable for me.
        (My numbers are not dead correct, but in the vicinity).

Impressive pictures though, that's a fact
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          Much the same like this.
          She had here 19.039 teu on board.
          On other images you can see some places to stack them. And maybe she could hade 2 layers extra on top.
          If you say i count about 4500 containers on deck ,
          You had count 40ft contsiners. You.only aee 40ft containers at deck.
          And 40ft containers is 2 teu. If you cant 4500 containers, then is that 9000teu.

In theory she can load 20568 teu, but she wil never only load 20ft boxes . 20 and 40 ft she can loadsay 10.560 boxes and complete full, so not the 20.568, but the space she used for the load is 20568 teu.

Some type containers are capeable for 11 high stacking, even when they are loaded to ther max weight.
          The change is that below deck they are also stacked 11 high

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post

Impressive pictures though, that's a fact
        thanks

i have a few more, but not comming home tonight,
        can't place those now.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

can we still call this a ''superstructure''?
              it's more a pole with some side windows

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

''Wilson Geata'' inbound for Rotterdam

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...WILSON%20GAETA

best regards Thijs

Comment

CSCL MARS 9467287 & OOCL INDONESIA 9776224 Manoeuvring at the 2e Maasvlakte (Rotterdam)

Comment

''Lombok Strait'' in the port of Flushing Holland

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...OMBOK%20STRAIT

best regards Thijs

Comment

fruit is comming in,cars goes out.

best regards Thijs

Comment

''APL AUSTRIA'' moored in the port of Rotterdam

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...:APL%20AUSTRIA

best regards Thijs

Comment