Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stern crane is huge. I suppose they are hauling very large anchors for the oil platforms?

Comment

Not anchors but umbilicals and such for the seabed oil- and gas installations.
      The stern crane is called an "A-frame".
      Last edited by Sterkoder; June 1st, 2009, 18:48.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

After taking pictures of the departing "Trollfjord" (check her thread), it was time to look for other vessels moored in Kristiansund tonight.
        Here's "Havgløtt" with Bergen as homeport. (My info in books and internet says Molde, but I tend to go for the white painted letters at her stern).

And "Freifjord" of Kristiansund

And finally, the largest vessel on the seven seas with Kristiansund painted over her stern....., dry cargo vessel "Tello" about to dock at dock #2 at Vestbase.
        (If you study her deckload, you'll see she comes with more 8' containers to us in Swire Oilfield Services AS).

All pictures: ©S. Ludvigsen
        Last edited by Sterkoder; May 31st, 2009, 19:29.

Comment

On the 28th May when I went to Leith to see Prince Albert II, the fisheries protection vessel Hirta (IMO9386794) was moored next to Britannia at Ocean Terminal.

Comment

AS Asturia next to As Scotia at Leith.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              AS Asturia next to As Scotia at Leith.
              Two great posts from Cecilia.... thank you so much for both taking the time and for sharing them with us.

The second post, quoted above, do you know if they are in 'lay-up' or have they just been moored like this due to lack of docking space?
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                .. do you know if they are in 'lay-up' or have they just been moored like this due to lack of docking space?
                I have very little information about ships in Leith. There is not even a visiting cruise ships schedule on Forth Ports website as there is for so many ports worldwide, so that one has to spend hours looking up “likely” cruise lines and companies to see if any ships of interest are calling here. Or perhaps seeing something on AIS and heading for Leith on the spur of the moment. Also at shorter notice one might get current information on more general port websites. Well, see what I mean - I just found an example of this right now! – Silver Cloud appears on one such website as having been in Leith today, June 1.

Even if I’d realised earlier, one can be caught out without fuller information. Larger ships cannot enter the lock at Leith and may actually be heading further along the Firth of Forth, landing passengers by tender at South Queensferry or actually docking at Rosyth – these in a completely opposite direction to Leith.

For other than cruise ships, much of the port area at Leith is not at all visible from public areas.

But Scotia has been in the Western Harbour every time I’ve been to Leith recently – May 7, 13 and 28 (but not when I went to see Logos Hope on April 11).
                Astoria I saw for the first time on May 28.

2009-May-13

2009-May-28 11:31

2009-May-28 13:52
                Looking at these two photos from the 28th, taken from just a few metres different position, a crane on Scotia appears to have moved.
                Well naturally I will let you know if I find out any more information

Comment

I remember Rosyth very well... I signed off Crystal Symphony there once... a wooden pier, full of timber, just besides a superfast ferry.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Vektaren

Vektaren, Sør-Rogalands Firedepartment - Stavanger

Ship Type: SAR
                    Length x Breadth: 19 m X 8 m
                    Speed recorded (Max / Average): 19.4 / 16.1 knots
                    Flag: Norway [NO]
                    Call Sign: LHLM
                    IMO: 0, MMSI: 257164600

Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Thanks oistein... that one is a ...umm... how should I say this... a strange contraption of a vessel..

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        And do you know what; "Roy Kristian" is designed and drawn in Kristiansund by Atlantconsult Marine AS - Consulting Engineers & Naval Architechts.
                        The vessel is built in Mjosundet, just 15 nautical miles north east of Kristiansund, in 2001 as yard nr. 95 from Sletta Ship Yard....
                        Roy Kristian was moored at the North Pier in Oban this afternoon and, as I walked by, her old name 'Rune Viking' was very visible in the sunlight- so I took a picture

Comment

Today I got an invitation to come on board the "Acergy Falcon" to have lunch. (The chief is the owner and admin of Norsk Skipsfarts Forum).
                          I also got a short tour, but had to go back to work at 12:30 PM, so mainly I visited the bridge (no surprice).
                          Since I last visited, there has been some major and expencive changes there, and this is how it looked today...

...versus this view from the same position a few years back

In the aft bridge they've also installed new equipment

This is the aft view from the bridge towards the deck

And we (SWIRE) are all over

Oh yeah, and here's a small sector of the bridge forward view. "Siem Sailor" and "Viking Lady" to be seen up front

And if you ever wonder what the "Acergy Falcon" looks like, and don't bother to search the CV forum..., here she is...

Well...., after some overtime tonight, I suddenly got a feeling that I should drive into the city before driving home.
                          And when I drove by Kristiansund Mech. & Ship Repair, there was a beauty on dry land....
                          This is Yard nr. 14 from Sterkoder Ship Yard, delivered back in January 1970, the stern trawler "Rairo".
                          The designers at Sterkoder really knew what they were doing back in the "old" days..., don't you agree...?

And as I stood there taking a closer look at the trawler, then came "Lurøybas" to dock

All photos: ©S. Ludvigsen
                          Last edited by Sterkoder; June 4th, 2009, 23:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            Since I last visited, there has been some major and expencive changes there, and this is how it looked today...

...versus this view from the same position a few years back

Wow! Definitely some very expensive changes happened there! Very impressive set up. That's quite an extensive job to integrate all of that in to the ships existing systems.
                            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Wow how times change. That bridge could be from Star Trek the Next Generation. Flat panels everywhere. All Acergy Falcon needs is a Klingon on the bridge and they are ready for space travel.

Comment

"Håkon Mosby" about to dock at Sterkoder in Kristiansund this afternoon.

"Sovetskaiya Konstitutsiya" to the left and "Rybachiya" to the right at Sterkoder. Wonder how many cents they use in maintenance...?

"Fairplay-31" at anchor west of Vestbase in Kristiansund

Comment

Working...
                                X