• Show
Clear All

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

''calajunco m'' outbound from Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

''selenka'' inbound for Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

''rms ruhrort'' inbound for rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  I'm sure Ombugge years ago posted a good description of how a bulb works but I can not find it. The way I've always thought of the bulb is that it keeps the ship from having to continuously climb uphill on it's own bow wave. Without a bulb the bow of the ship creates a wave of water pushed up in front so the ship must always climb uphill. The bulb protrudes forward of the bow and creates a wave ahead of the ship. The trough of the bulb's wave coincides with the peak of the main hull's wave so the two waves cancel each other out. The ship is no longer trying to climb up such a big bow wave.

As someone who lives far inland I enjoy watching ships pass. I find it very interesting how the water rises up in front and flows around and under the hull. Probably very stupid to someone who's life has been at sea but to me it is an amazing bit of science. When I go to the coast of NC on the Intracoastal Waterway (a canal in many places) I notice how the water recedes from the shore as boats pass. I find it magical how a boat way over there can affect the water so far away.
                  The pictures of ships coming and going at the entrance to Rotterdam Port is a good illustration of how the bulbous bow works.
                  As can be seen, the loaded Peary Spirit and Calajunco M has little bow wave because the bulbous is well below water, while the light Selenka has the bulbous partly exposed and the bow wave is different. The RMS Ruhrort has a conventional bow without bulbous and create a much larger bow wave, relatively.

​The last few years have seen a move away from bulbous bow and towards sharp wave piercing bow configuration:

Or the Ulstein X-Bow:

Maersk is in the process of changing the bulbous design on their Container ships because they were designed for high speed (24-25 kts.) while the ships are now slow steaming to save fuel.(15-18 kts.) This change is supposed to save up to 20% on the fuel consumption, which is a lot of money when burning 40-50 tonnes of HFO per day at US$ 600,-/tonnes.
                  Here is a link: http://www.maersktechnology.com/stor...fficiency.aspx

Comment

thanks Ombugge,but the bulb is different athearend the shape of the bow,but the bulb is the first ''contact'' with the water,so i Always thought that the shape would be the same.
                    but coming in ports as a truckdriver i saw more and more different shapes from just a out gooing line of the bow ,till meters long nipple??? in front of the vessels.
                    now with the maersk vessels explanation it's even worth the place a new bulb on the bow,just because of the lower speed of the vessel.
                    so it's sience,not just a piece of iron.

another weird vessel,the ''arctic rock'' with a little bulb on her bow,and a little super structure.
                    saw drawings of her that she will be used as transported windmills parts to the location.
                    small vessel for big mill wings, in a narrow windpark.
                    but if that deck portal crane is handy that moment??????
                    (place them here,i dont see her as a heavy lifting vessel)

best regards Thijs

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The portal crane is probably used to lift and stack hatch pontoons. Common on gearless Coasters.
                      (Same on the Margrete below, although that one has Cranes)

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

FAIRCHEM YUKA in Kristiansund yesterday evening
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

''ekfors'' inbound for Rotterdam.

best regards Thijs

Comment