Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a picture of the live fish carrier "Arnøytrans" yesterday (page 17). Today, it could have gone really bad if not for the fire department with their pumps.
    The port hatch to the fish- and seawater room was open...

©Håkon Bloch
    Last edited by Sterkoder; May 8th, 2009, 20:45.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Jeez! I thought it was my bad eyesight as usual. Nice shot I must say.
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

oopppss............

and SaintsFCFan...how can a graphic artist have bad eyesight???? LOL

Comment

LOL You would be surprised... my better half keeps harping about a visit to the opticians. Last visit was 1989, so my specs haven't changed in 20 years. 'er... I've been bad haven't I.
          Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

YES YOU HAVE PAUL!!!!!!! I'll harp on you as well--you're our ARTIST IN RESIDENCE!! ( well, one of them!!! Don't mean to leave you out Sterkoder or Captain!) and your eyesight is PRECIOUS!! Are you really telling me you can't find TWO hours to go see an optician?????? IN 20 YEARS????? TWO LOUSY HOURS???? Go make an appointment NOW!!!!!!

(Jan-Olav doesn't call me "the mother of all mothers" for nuthin'...LOL)

Comment

Some ships passing by Tromsø yesterday.

"Orion Explorer"

"Kapitan Naumov"

"Arnøytind"

Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

Cargo ship "Scan Fjell" on her way south this afternoon.

Abt 1800 dwcc, abt 105.000 bale, sidedoor (widt 5 m) , 2 pallet elevators (à 4 tons- combinable) , 3 forklifts (upto 5 tons), 2 deck (Hight: 2,38 in lower hold. 3,70 in tweendeck, abt 5 meter in hatcharea) 1 hatch: (19,2 x 10,3 meter). Grd. 35 tons, ro/ro (bow door), loa: 76,96 m, br: 14,02 m, Draft. 5,7 m
                BT: 2300 NT
                Imo no: 7700609
                Call sign: OUH22

Last edited by Azimut; May 9th, 2009, 18:17.
                Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

FV "Lise Beate" on her way from Tromsø this evening.

Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Don't know about you all out there, but I find a lot of joy in the light we have in Kristiansund very early in the morning.
                    Here are a few pictures from our harbour at around 7:00 AM this saturday morning.

I'm sorry for being a bit out of focus here, but I was in a hurry to go to work.
                    Here's the brand new "Viking Lady"

"Acergy Petrel" still moored at Devoldholmen

"4 Winds" as you might remember from further up in the thread here

"Arnøytrans" in her upright position again

"Ocean King"

Storkaia packed with offshore vessels

All pictures: ©S. Ludvigsen

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                      Whale meat? Where? I'm always open to a new culinary experience!! Would I look for it when I'm in Longyearbyen?
                      I must have missed this one.

You can probably find Whale Meat on the menu in some restaurants in Norway, like in Aalesund (unless Greenpeace has managed to scare them into removing "Hvalbiff" from the menu)
                      Better still would be in Lofoten, where most of the Whalers are now home ported.

If you are visiting Tromsoe you should try Seal Flippers. (Used to be on the menu at some restaurants there back in the 1980's anyhow) But you may also be able to find those on the menu in Longyearbyen.

Comment

Whale meat is the most tender meet you could ever eat.
                        It's most common to eat it as a regular steak, and other than that, I can stongly recommend whale meat on the grill.
                        You slice it up in 5 to 8 mm thick pieces and grill'em for just a couple of minutes on each side.
                        Eat it with salad, potatosalad and enjoy the hole thing together with a good red wine.

You know what..?
                        In an hours time, I and my family will drive to Bud south-west of Kristiansund, go into "Slipen" restaurant and have ourselves a good meal of whale

Comment

Well, we drove to Bud only to find out that "Slipen" Restaurant was closed...
                          We went back to Kristiansund via Atlantic Road and the ferry between Averøy and the city, so anyway..., we had a nice drive

Back in Kristiansund we had our dinner, and my desert was to take pictures of the rig "Stena Don" at dock 8, Vestbase

The bridge and helideck "control tower"

Lifeboats and MOB-boat

Comment

The 195 meters long cargo vessel ARMIA LUDOWA on her way to Sunndal, passing my home 45 minutes ago.

©S. Ludvigsen

Comment

Oh...., I wish I could impress by knowing my history as I uploaded my first post about the "Arnøytrans" from 1926 further up here.
                              But nevertheless, let me tell you a very interesting story about this boat, learned today:

The boat was built by Aker in Oslo back in 1926 and when the WW 2 broke out in Norway 9th April 1940, she was named "Pol III".
                              The captain on board that sad day was Leif-Welding Olsen and him, his crew and this very vessel was the group that alarmed the norwegian armed forces and above all Oscarsborg that a huge group of enemy vessels was underway lead by "Blücher".
                              "Pol III" was fired upon and captain Olsen was sadly killed in the attack.
                              Leif-Wedding Olsen was the very first norwegian to fall for german bullets in WW 2.

This is a kind of history busy citizens of Kristiansund are just rushing by without lifting an eyebrow...

Today there are only the hull left from those days, but luckily, I saw the shape and the rivets, so I understood she must have had some history..., but could never imagine she was involved in that kind of action.

Comment

Ronja Skye

passing Tobermory Bay this afternoon, taken from Calmac ferry

Comment

Working...
                                X