Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic delivery there, Jan-Olav!!! Thank you!!!!

Do you take the pictures from your home...?

EDIT: By the way; M/F STORFJORD is 24,8 NM southwest heading Rørvik with 12,9 knots. Should be just under two hours before she's in, but then it must be too dark even for your camera...??
    Last edited by Sterkoder; March 15th, 2009, 20:47.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      Fantastic delivery there, Jan-Olav!!! Thank you!!!!

Do you take the pictures from your home...?

EDIT: By the way; M/F STORFJORD is 24,8 NM southwest heading Rørvik with 12,9 knots. Should be just under two hours before she's in, but then it must be too dark even for your camera...??
      Never too dark for me... I can tweak the ISO range of my EOS 50D all the way down to 12800: it'll be a dark image, but it should be possible to see the lights!.

I think the time will be about the same time as Kong Harald leaves Rørvik tonight.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Bulk Carrier "Spar Eight" sailing out the fjord after loading at Eide. This image is taken just a couple of kilometers from my home...

©S. Ludvigsen
        Last edited by Sterkoder; March 21st, 2009, 00:35.

Comment

To close the net in the bottom is called to "snurpe" in norwegian,
          Oh, another fun Norwegian word..snurpe! It makes me giggle and smile...just like "snart"....

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
            Some fishing vessel passing by Tromsø today.

"Straumberg" with 300 tons capelin

Not sure if it's just the camera angle that makes this vessel look so low in the water? The water looks calm enough, and yet the tip of her bow still seems to be just above the water line! It looks like it would not take to much of a swell to wash completely over her foredeck. Is this usual for these vessels to sit this low in the water?

Im not sure what we would do if we saw one of our local trawlers coming in that low in the water, i think we would either call the lifeboat out or call the fish market to tell them to bring send a bigger truck down to the harbour that evening! Lots of fish!
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

To see fishing vessels this low in the water is very normal...
              When a vessel is this loaded, we call it (and here's another funny norwegian word for 'ehp') søkklastet

'Søkk' is a local twist to the word 'synk' which means sink in english.
              'lastet' means loaded in english, so you see..., our words are also logical

There's also a video on youtube, or a link here on CV of a fishing vessel loaded to the deckline going through an area around Ireland.
              The vessel had all the doors and hatches secured, and were partially submerged with only the superstruckture over the waterline at different times.
              Scary to watch, and I've heared that the crew were all on the bridge with survival suits....

Comment

Norwegian words are logical, like German...and FUN!!! Very musical.....

Comment

Don't get me started on the Germans love of just stacking words together until they get what they want. They end up with a lot of words 20 letters long.

Comment

oh, but that's the fun of German!!!!!! "Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung" is my personal favorite.
                    And, yes, Ralf and Doris- I'm being serious!! I think the German language is one of the most beautiful!! It's precise, yet flows so lyrically!
                    Last edited by ehp; March 21st, 2009, 16:01.

Comment

A few ships passing by Tromsø today.

"Ingrid Majala" with 400 tons capelin.

Cargo ship "Storfoss"

"Gard" ex."Frøya"
                      Ex. "Frøya" original goods and passenger ship who has operate the outer parts of Frøya (Sør-Trøndelag in Norway). Ex. "Frøya" is developed by Eidsvik Skipsbyggeri, Uskedalen in 1972.The company Sea Transport (Owner Sjøteknikk as, Stamsund) has purchased the ferry used to work in conjunction with the construction of jetties on the stretch Lofoten - Finnmark.

S/Y "Goxsheim" on her way on a new trip.More info on this web-site: http://gox.no/index.shtml

Best wishes from
                      Bengt Domben

Comment

Car ferry "Bolsøy" at Kristiansund Mech. & Ship Yard

Serious stern of "Rem Provider"

"Stella Viking" at Kristiansund Mech. & Ship Yard

The expressboat between Kristiansund and Trondheim arrives from Trondheim at 3:30 PM

Comment

"Normand Master" came in yesterday

An anchor of a smaller wooden boat

Comment

Serious stern of "Rem Provider"
                            Great composition: very interesting view point!

Love the anchor close-up shot as well... very much!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for the great pictures. And I notice you were able to sneak your username into one of them.

Comment

"Normand Master" came in yesterday
                                You have reminded me I had photographed Normand Master one very sunny day in Leith, Edinburgh - 17th August 2006.

Comment

Working...
                                X