Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bengt, it looks sooo COLD there today!! I'm watching the robins play out in the garden...I guess spring is here in Georgia--HOORAY!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
      Bengt, it looks sooo COLD there today!! I'm watching the robins play out in the garden...I guess spring is here in Georgia--HOORAY!
      Not so cold today +1.But it has been snowing a lot the last two days.The forecast for the next days promissing cold and sunny weather.
      BTW the spring is about 2.5 month away for us here up in the north
      Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

Both trawlers look a bit low in the bow but Harvest seems to be sitting very low in general. I am not used to seeing open ocean ships with such shallow freeboard. I imagine her main deck is under water often in heavy seas when she is fully loaded.

Comment

Take a look of this boat in heavy seas loaded with blue whiting.This is usual weather in north sea in the winter season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-FW...eature=related

Last edited by pakarang; February 26th, 2009, 10:50. Reason: Embedded youtube video
          Best wishes from
          Bengt Domben

Comment

Thank you for the video. I am glad I decided to NOT become a fisherman in the North Sea. On the positive side they do not have to wash down the decks. Mother nature seems to be doing a very thorough job.

I am afraid I would not make a good captain on that boat. I would have the deck hatches welded shut.

Comment

This is why you will never find me on the North Sea in winter....wow...um...I gotta go lie down..I think I'm seasick...

Comment

Oh...., could I ever experience rough seas!!!

You can't get a low cost ride in heavy seas anymore, and even the katamaran between Kristiansund and Trondheim docks in the worst weather.
                (The boat can take it, but the company wants to spare the passengers for the ride).

I miss riding in huge waves so much, I'm almost on the edge of asking the Pilot for a free ride one day or another...
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Some fishing vessel passing by my home today on Tromsøysundet in nice winter weather.

"H.Østervold" with 850 tons capelin.

"Svanung Elise" with 600 tons capelin,deliver to Egersund Nor, Tromsø.

"Gardar" on her way south from Tromsø.

"Møgsterfjord" on her way out again after unloading capelin at Egersund Nor, Tromsø.

"Skår Senior" passing by Tromsø on her way out to the fishing field.

And a picture from yesterday evening of "Olympic Prawn"

Last edited by Azimut; February 27th, 2009, 19:55.
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

Fabulous update from the North! Thank you very much Asimut.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Østerbris" passing by Tromsø this morning with 780 tons capelin.Look's like she has damaged her starboard bow a little bit.

Best wishes from
                      Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                        And a picture from yesterday evening of "Olympic Prawn"
                        Asimut, such great photos from Tromsø recently!
                        I was especially delighted with the photo of Olympic Prawn in your earlier posting. OK, I am about to say something really silly – or maybe not – is it just me that finds that name amusing?
                        Anyway, nothing in the gorgeous smile of the day thread gets anywhere even close to the effect a ship called Olympic Prawn has on me!
                        However, the giggling has eventually subsided and normal service resumed, and I have been having a most fascinating and informative diversion discovering more about Olympic Shipping, for example on its website
                        http://www.olympic.no/default.asp?menu=7

I was interested to read about their ship F/F Jan Mayen and the research activities of the University of Tromsø, as well as all their offshore and fishing activities. What a lot of exciting things this company is involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          Olympic Prawn – is it just me that finds that name amusing?
                          Just reading your post, seagull, and I nearly started crying I was giggling so hard. Just like every time I'm at the market, and I see the display of "jumbo shrimp"......

"Olympic Prawn" makes me envision some tiny little crustaceans on the seabed pumping iron.....running sprints....polevaulting????

Comment

After being very happy that the light were back a few weeks ago, today was yet another gray and "heavy" day in Kr-sund.
                            Anyway, here are some pictures from this saturday afternoon:

"Havila Saturn"

Sisterships "Ronja Nordic" and "Ronja Superior"

Carferry "Stordal", stepping in for the usual "Bjørnsund"

Comment

And we continue with "Ladejarl" leaving Kr-sund for Trondheim

"Skandi Captain" and "Skandi Foula" with "Edda Fauna" in the back.
                              (Just because it looks like it, the two Skandi's are not sisters. Just take a closer look at the details now that I finally got a picture of the two beside eachother)

Comment

PS: I moved the Alrita sinking to a new thread in the Accidents Section...
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X