Auckland Cruise Ship Season 2009/2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auckland Cruise Ship Season 2009/2010

Well it is that time of year again when the cruise ships from the North start making their way down South for our summer.

Over 50 ships due to call at Auckland over the next six months. The first arrived today - Star Princess.

Star Princess Auckland Friday October 16 2009

Comment

Not the World's best looking class of ships but still impressive -

The oiler alongside is brand new having been commissioned a couple of months ago specifically for port re-fueling.

Comment

Big news just announced - P&O to base a cruise ship in Auckland year round 2010 - Pacific Pearl - which is one of the Regal Princess class of ships. So at least cruising is surviving the recession.

Comment

Which Regal Princess would that be... ? I have lost track of all the Princess ships...

The last Regal Princess I remember was the one with the ugly 80's humpback-whale bridge top...
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by markjd View Post

Isn't this the one that we all thought looked like some playtoy for a giant...complete with carry handle???

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
              Isn't this the one that we all thought looked like some playtoy for a giant...complete with carry handle???
              That was Grand Princess that I saw in Copenhagen…
              http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...5&postcount=23

…but they look much the same….and I’m delighted you remembered the description!

Comment

JO - you are right it is the humpback ex Regal Princess.

Comment

I cannot decide if the ship looks like a shopping cart with the handle in back, or if it is a ship with a towel bar stuck to it's rear.

Comment

Correction - Pacific Pearl is actually the old Star Princess (ex Arcadia and Fairwind)

Comment

Well as our first ship of the season makes its way around the coast - Star Princess has encountered some nice winter weather - today they are in Dunedin and the temperature at Noon is just 8 degrees c - no sunbathing on deck today. I imagine the local shops are doing a roaring trade in winter clothing.

Comment

Tomorrow Star Princess enters Milford sound - lets hope for some great webcams pictures.

Comment

Not such a good day for Star Princess - it might improve.

Comment

Not such a good day for Star Princess - it might improve.
                            A grey windy day - perfect to linger in the bar a little bit longer.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes you are right - I do not think they made it into the sounds - a shame. But in that part of NZ it basically rains every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X