[Crystal Symphony] – a visit in Copenhagen, July 2009

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Crystal Symphony] – a visit in Copenhagen, July 2009

The statistics are staggering, but I’ll spare you a geeky graph of number of photos taken against day of trip. Let’s just say that there is a gigantic peak for Saturday the 11th July. Wondering why? The answer should be clear from just one photo. Crystal clear!

There are far too many photos from that memorable day to use within the context of a trip report, and restricting myself to a few to share in that way would be an impossible task. Moreover, I have to be realistic –the journey I have just taken will take me many weeks to write about, and 11 July was nearly at my journey's end . . .

I am also thinking that pakarang deserves a present NOW (even if it is so soon after his birthday!).

So I am going to post lots of photos of Crystal Symphony in this thread, with minimal comment from me. They really ought to be labelled of course – deck number, lounge name and so on. I am rather afraid of getting anything wrong in documenting such a special ship. I did try to keep a track of our whereabouts, even photographing those “you are here” signs, but was it “here” where we had just come from, or “here” where we were just going??? No careful note taking – too much excitement!!!

And so, pakarang and ehp, if you would like to contribute when time permits, feel free and encouraged to mail me. I will then immediately edit my posts to add this information. Crew team-effort!
    [Note added later: ehp and pakarang did indeed kindly check that I had got things right, and have provided some additional information, now incorporated into these posts. Big thank you!]

You know, just occasionally the marketing and media folk get something exactly right. “The World’s Most Beautiful Voyage” is one such phrase, describing hurtigruten. And now I can tell you that calling Crystal “The World’s Best Large-Ship Cruise Line” is surely believable. Each day I spent in Copenhagen I took the convenient bus 26 to the cruise terminal to see which ships were around, and nothing I saw even began to compare with Crystal Symphony. OK, I have never been on a “conventional” cruise, only on Hurtigruten’s working ships on the regular route, and their “explorer” itineraries on Fram, and although I love seeing and photographing cruise ships I never had any desire whatsoever to travel on them.

Am I still quite so sure I won’t? What I will say is that if I ever go on a cruise I am sure it will be aboard a Crystal ship. Preferably Captain’s beloved Symphony.
    Last edited by Seagull; August 6th, 2009, 11:48. Reason: Added my appreciation to ehp and pakarang for all their help.

Crystal Symphony at the Langelinie Cruise Terminal in Copenhagen, Denmark.

She is maintained in immaculate condition.

Embarking up the gangway . . .

. . . you enter an impressive atrium – Crystal Plaza. Perhaps it looks familiar, for it is here that the photograph of Jan-Olav standing next to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth was taken. The realisation of actually being there was for me as emotional a moment as meeting my CV friends for the first time.

The adjoining lounge bar, Crystal Cove.

Comment

A general view of Crystal Plaza showing the staircase.

The glass roof.

Reception

Comment

The magnificent Crystal Dining Room is also located on Deck 5.

Ceiling light in a corner of the dining room.

Comment

Room 9030 – port side on Deck 9 “Seabreeze”.

Deck 11 – Lido

The Palm Court is situated forward on Lido Deck.

The glass engravings illustrate the signs of the zodiac . . .

. . . I have chosen Leo for pakarang!
          Last edited by Seagull; August 5th, 2009, 13:25. Reason: Added room number information from ehp

Comment

The view forward from Palm Court (the ship seen here is Norwegian Jewel).

Starboard views:

Comment

Great images..... you have a telent when it comes to photography, no doubt..

.. and the greatest part, I recognize quite a few of the faces.... !
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I’m so glad you are enjoying this pakarang. And as I have found deck plans on Crystal’s website you are not having to do any identifying of locations for me so far! Let’s now take a walk further aft on Lido Deck.

Passing the children’s’ playroom, we go outdoors into the area called Seahorse Pool. I really like the proportions of this space, including the glass side windows and the sun deck walkway above them, giving just the right combination of openness and sheltered enclosure.

The Seahorses themselves!

This is the forward looking view from the other end, showing the small stage.

Should the weather be inclement, there are more watery delights in the covered Neptune Pool and the surrounding “pool deck buffet area”. . .

. . . which includes the Trident Bar and Grill.

Comment

Such happy cheery smiles!

Continuing further aft brings us to the Lido Cafe, which extends around both sides of the ship.

The starboard side incorporates this “garden cafe” area.

A close-up view of one of the murals.

Comment

The Lido Cafe also extends out of doors onto the aft deck.

From here you can look down at the elegant curves of the lower decks. . .

. . . as well as up to the funnel.

Comment

Cecilia, dear- what a WONDERFUL job you are doing!!!!! I know that Pakarang must be thrilled, and I really must pass this thread along both to family AND Crystal, as it will be a MARVELOUS marketing tool!!!! I'm LOVING how you are organizing all our wanderings around the ship!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                        Cecilia, dear- what a WONDERFUL job you are doing!!!!! I know that Pakarang must be thrilled, and I really must pass this thread along both to family AND Crystal, as it will be a MARVELOUS marketing tool!!!! I'm LOVING how you are organizing all our wanderings around the ship!!!!!
                        Absolutely... I'm thrilled... just don't want to occupy you with my comments till you finished... giving you time to finish all the images as fast as possible...

Strange, ain't it? Once you start at something, you can't wait to get it all done...
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          ...Strange, ain't it? Once you start at something, you can't wait to get it all done...
                          Well. there is a popular British TV quiz show, Mastermind, that has the catch phrase "I've started so I'll finish" So lets continue the tour!!

Deck 12 – Sun

Next we head up a level to the Sun Deck, where the aft section houses the Spa, fitness centre, saunas and other facilities, and are welcomed by more smiling faces.

Attractive artwork contributes to the relaxing ambiance.

The fitness centre.

Out of doors again, we walk past the glass roof over Neptune Pool. It can be slid into an open position when weather permits.

We pass the golf putting green and tennis and continue forward, overlooking the Seahorse Pool we visited earlier.

The Danish courtesy flag makes a pretty picture. It suddenly occurred to me that the ship must have rather a large flag collection, considering the many countries that feature in the cruise itineraries.

Comment

This reminds me--

I learned on board that, when the Symphony goes into drydock in September, before "leaf season" up and down between Canada and the US, the indoor pool area will be removed and a "seating/reading" area will be put in. I guess no one uses the indoor pool and hot tub much except kids. The pool was actually either drained or roped off much of the time we were aboard.

Question for Pakarang--why do they drain the pools so often??? Indoors, it seemed like once every 4 days or so...outdoors, at least once a cruise.

Comment

The builders plate – a must-have photo when visiting a ship!
                              The ceremonial coins are welded into a block in front of the main mast (out of guest area).

The sea-horse motif of Crystal Cruises makes a charming feature.

Looking down at the ship’s bell. . .

. . . and over the port side railings at the reception tent on the quayside.

Views looking down to the foredeck.
                              Jan-Olav has provided me with this additional information:
                              The propeller blades are actual spare blades in case of an underwater damage anywhere in the world. Because of the ships world wide sailing, they are kept on board to save "shipping" time should the accident occur at a remote location. Should they have a mishap, all they need is to find a suitable nearby dry dock and sailing can be resumed shortly after.

It was an amazing feeling to look from the Forward Observation Deck and see a view familiar from watching the Bridge webcam.
                              Last edited by Seagull; August 6th, 2009, 11:08. Reason: added information kindly provided by Jan-Olav.

Comment

Working...
                              X