Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Crystal Serenity] Stalking E on her Crystal cruise....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep- just like punting. Except it's just a raft- maybe 6 or 8 really big bamboo poles lashed together. We were in a flat bottom boat and the water seemed pretty shallow-maybe 2 meters? I don't know how the fishermen OR the cormorants do it- poling right alongside the boat--every once and a while, the fisherman calls to the cormorants to keep up--but they steer clear of the boat.. we were going down river, so the current helped him...and then when we turned around, he said "bye"-- they caught a few fish, and I was amazed the way he picked the birds up by their necks and just tipped them over. Once, a cormorant got a little fish-say 6cm long, and hopped up on the raft and looked at the fisherman and gulped it down really fast as if to say "this one will fit!!! Gave us all a giggle!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
      I bet the tug is for fueling. Basically a motorized fuel barge. When loaded she probably floats level and looks more normal. Still a cool looking boat.
      I think you may well be correct pilotdane, makes perfect sense with her hull shape.

So sorry Elizabeth, i'm happy with pilotdane's answer, so i'm afraid to tell you that i'm canceling your return trip to HK as of now!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Oh, well, Steve, I'm a bit busy at the moment to pop over to HK right now....

Day 1 Travel to Hong Kong can be found here on my blog...

but for all of YOU , here are some more photos...
        ok gang, what is this

and I know you can all figure out where this leads..

and I guess you will have to look at the various threads --Starbucks, McDonalds, Funny Signs, etc. as I post!!

Comment

The continuation of the saga--
          Day 1 and Hong Kong Day 1

ENJOY!!!

Comment

Finally, another post...
            http://maisoncourouge.blogspot.com/2...hong-kong.html

And some more specific photos that might not make it in tomorrow--
            Boats in the harbor near the Jumbo floating restaurant...

This boat was so huge, I couldn't get her all in the frame, so I went for the stern....

And I got her-sort of- by looking back...

Comment

And I wanted to show y'all the GORGEOUS spa on the second floor of the Intercontinental Hotel. I didn't have a chance to use it (and I forgot to pack a bathing suit as well!!!) but it was LOVELY!!!!
              The fountain near the entrance

The "endless" hot tub spa

and the view FROM said spa had you been using it........

And this last photo is nothing special--just posted advertisements...but when I saw it, it finally hit me that I was in China.......
              Last edited by ehp; May 7th, 2009, 22:49. Reason: correcting my dyslexia

Comment

Cool mini-pool with glass walls!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

More posting about the trip--

More of Hong Kong

Xi'an and the terra cotta warriors

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                    XL-ent....or simply excellent!
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wonderful to see your photos of the terracotta warriors. They are something we’ve all seen pictures of, but just how did it feel for real when you entered that giant pit in the first photo and actually set eyes on them – in terms of the sheer scale and number, and the wow factor feeling of being there?
                      Here in Edinburgh we had an exhibition of some 10 or 12 warriors I think it was, back in the mid 80’s. It was a bit of a coup to get this exhibition (Edinburgh being “twinned” with Xi’an may have had something to do with it) and it brought visitors flocking here from far and wide. They were also shown in London but I think that was some years later.

I remember the point was made about being able to get up close to the statues as never before. Whereas your experience will have been on an altogether different scale.
                      Big thank you for giving us the link to your blog and the photos.

Comment

Cecilia--it was amazing. First, you see the "hugeness" of it all. Then, you get up to the rail (and in our case, the weekend before had been a holiday weekend, and visitors came then, so there were fewer people there than normal, which was nice) and are quite close. Enough to be able to really look at the faces. Angela was a wonderfully knowledgeable guide and had so many interesting bits to point out. She knew the differences in rank, occupation, dress, shoes- and demonstrated as much as we wanted to know. It helped that we were a group of just 7, and all got along famously.. We could stay as long as we liked, and didn't have to worry about slowing each other up.

Once you saw for yourself that each warrior is different...then the magnitude of the site kicks in again, looking at row upon row upon row. Then you have fun trying to find statues that have the same "job-description", or two whose uniforms are similiar, or two whose neck-kerchiefs are tied in a similiar manner.

Then, you become fascinated by the partially buried ones. Or looking for fingertips sticking out of the dirt. Makes you want to be an archaeologist!

I would love to be able to find a book of photographs of the different heads...I'm not even sure if one has been made yet, but surely, I'm not the first one to think of this..

Looking back through the photos reminds me of so much!!

Oh, one more really cool thing...The emperor's tomb- Qin Shi Huang- is located nearby. It's never been excavated. BECAUSE..... (and this is what we were told..whether it is the truth or not, I'm not sure.....)

The emperor's tomb looks like a chopped off tabletop mountain. Deep underground all this earth, the tomb is built like a palace. Surrounding the palace is a moat. The builders wanted to simulate water in the moat, and, as the tomb was underground, used mercury so it would shimmer as if in the moonlight. There are such high levels of mercury, they don't know how to decontaminate the place.

I sort of doubt this story, given China's human rights record--(what's sacrificing a few thousand lives through mercury poisoning for the glory of the state??- but who knows?????

Comment

Elizabeth, Thank you, thank you – for telling us what it was really like to actually see the terracotta warriors AND for doing it in a truly memorable post number 1000!

Comment

I sort of doubt this story, given China's human rights record--(what's sacrificing a few thousand lives through mercury poisoning for the glory of the state??- but who knows?????
                            Don't believe everything you see on Fox News. China has come a long ways since the Great leap forward and the Cultural Revolution.
                            As for sacrificing thousands of life for the glory of somebody, we have a much newer example in Iraq.

Comment

Ombugge- don't get me wrong, China has done a great deal...and I agree with you about Iraq, Iran and so many other places around the world.......sometimes it really gets me "down"--wondering why we simply can't be "nice" to one another... But that's for another thread and another rant after several cups of coffee....

The comment was, I guess, a stem of one of my real "hot" points...trying to do my bit for raising peoples' awareness- especially where I lie-- of the peoples of Tibet and Burma......most 'round these parts think Tibet is an imaginary land invented by Disney where the abominable snowman lives...and Burma is where they make shaving cream......

Comment

Ombugge- don't get me wrong, China has done a great deal...and I agree with you about Iraq, Iran and so many other places around the world......
                                My refr. to "somebody" and "Iraq" had nothing to do with Sadam Hussain, although he was no angle. I was thinking of another "gentleman" who has caused the death of many thousands of innocent people by starting an unnecessary war. "It is hard to see the the splinter...." and so on.

Comment

Working...
                                X