Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Crystal Serenity] Stalking E on her Crystal cruise....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehp View Post
    WOW--I mean, really WOW!
    Really WOW?? – more like absolutely mega- WOW !!
    When I was there it was more a matter of pointing to and arguing about very vague features in the generally cloudy sky which just possibly could have been Mt.Fuji peeping through, or might have been just a whiter bit of cloud – or was that in fact the right direction for Mt. Fuji anyway . . . well, you get the idea . . .
    Fantastic start, E, and I haven’t even mentioned the words panda and cute . . .

Comment

WOW--I mean, really WOW!
      Elizabeth, that's got to worthy of one of the biggest WOW's i have felt for a long time - beautiful!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Love the image of Mount Fuji: surely one of the most beautiful mountains in the whole wide world. Nothing beats the view, even on a rainy day.

Between you and me E: this is the location of the movie I have been talking with you so much about: Behind the Painting.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Really? I was thinking the mountain countryside was north.. maybe the book and movie are different? And I can't find my copy of the book...grrr...I really HATE it when I can't put my hands on a book I KNOW I've got at my fingertips...must be stacked somewhere amongst "Selbuvotter Mittens", "The Experience of Buddhism", "501 Norwegian Verbs", "The Far Side Gallery"and "The Cookbook Writer's Handbook"...what a combination....LOL

Still gives me goosebumps and makes me laugh, the way I looked up and just went..."wow" and stopped dead in my tracks. By the end of the trip, my cousins and I had decided that we needed to invent a new word, we had used "wow" so much.....

(I even picked tea leaves and learned how to stretch a silk cocoon into a comforter-sized layer... all useful skills here in the Middle-Of-Nowhere...but more on that later....)

Comment

Really? I was thinking the mountain countryside was north.. maybe the book and movie are different? And I can't find my copy of the book...grrr...I really HATE it when I can't put my hands on a book I KNOW I've got at my fingertips...must be stacked somewhere amongst "Selbuvotter Mittens", "The Experience of Buddhism", "501 Norwegian Verbs", "The Far Side Gallery"and "The Cookbook Writer's Handbook"...what a combination....LOL
            What a strange combination.... just like mine...

Still gives me goosebumps and makes me laugh, the way I looked up and just went..."wow" and stopped dead in my tracks. By the end of the trip, my cousins and I had decided that we needed to invent a new word, we had used "wow" so much.....
            How about "Oh, that is pretty!"?

Would love to hear what the new word eventually came to be....
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              Would love to hear what the new word eventually came to be....
              When we finally figure it out, you will be the first to know

Isn't it the Eskimos that have a gazillion words for "white"???? Sort of the same thing.... We figured at the end of some days, we were just on sensory overload.....

Comment

Wow about sums it up!!! Looking forward to many more photos.

Comment

Well, gang, I talked about the crew today on my blog but I figured you needed more "eye candy" so here are some photos y'all might like....

a tugboat in Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor for Dane-

Have no idea, but looked interesting.. again HK

Houseboat in the fishing harbor HK

Fishing boats in the fishing harbor HK

The sampan that took us around the fishing harbor HK

Comment

On the Li River in China, these guys just pole along

and right up to the riverboats to hawk their "jade" treasures...

And later on that night, watching the cormorands fishing was interesting, but almost impossible to photograph because its at night and they use a bright lantern to attract the fish...I needed everyone's expertise!!

I'm getting out of order, (we're back to HK) but I recognized the MV Explorer, from Semester at Sea...If this was around in my college days, my life might have been quite a bit different!!

You'll hear more about this later, but the Sun and Moon Pagodas in Guilin are a spectacular night attraction!
                    Last edited by ehp; April 20th, 2009, 20:07.

Comment

Well, gang, I talked about the crew today on my blog but I figured you needed more "eye candy" so here are some photos y'all might like....

a tugboat in Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor for Dane-

This is a strange looking vessel, very rounded bow and strange second deck above the foredeck, i wonder what this vessel is used for? Don't think it can be used for tugging due to the lack of a stern deck. Plus she seems to sit very low at the stern - strange little thing!
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

SteveB- you CERTAINLY will know more that I do..I just assumed because she was small --but I really have NOOOO idea. hmmmmm. I rely on y'all to tell me what's what...because I'm from the redneck south, where my ship spotting abilities extend to the difference between flat bottom johnboats and glitter-finished bass boats..........

(but I do know an inboard motor from an outboard motor from a trolling motor ...LOL)

Comment

No excuses Elizabeth, back you go, and your not allowed to return until you have found out everything there is to know about that strange little thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            No excuses Elizabeth, back you go, and your not allowed to return until you have found out everything there is to know about that strange little thing!
                            JAN!!!! Did you ever figure out where the teleporter is????? SteveB needs me to make a quick run to HK (and to think of it, CS is there right now...)

Comment

I bet the tug is for fueling. Basically a motorized fuel barge. When loaded she probably floats level and looks more normal. Still a cool looking boat.

Comment

At last – after a busy couple of days I’ve now got the time this morning to make some fresh coffee, settle down all nice and comfy, and enjoy your Crystal cruise! (Ah, how appropriate that I started by looking at your blog with the first photo showing your Captain’s mid-morning coffee break.)
                                It must be amazing to have got to know quite so many of the crew over your many voyages. Just like a family reunion and that makes me think ahead to you next cruise with your own big family along too . . . families within families - just love all the interconnectedness of it all.

Glad you included the painting washing varnishing and other more “shipy” stuff as well as the wining and dining!

Now looking at our special treats on CV. I immediately nearly had a “equivalent-to-ehp-saying-pretty” moment – OK I’ll say it: “That Hong Kong tugboat boat looks adorable”.
                                Great that pilotdane worked out what it’s probably doing. I’m pleased you caught it in this interesting unloaded state.

Fabulous night photo of those pagodas with the reflections. But you know you shouldn’t be apologising at all for that other night photo of the fishing. It is actually my favourite. Ok it might not be a technically spot-on result, but you know I really love the effect you captured. It has an atmospheric quality and looks like an art painting. Love how the graininess adds to the mood. Love the red reflection under the bridge contrasting with the bluish reflections, the light from the right on the fisherman and the cormorant, the diagonal of the pole . . .the whole composition really.
                                I had been discussing with asimut that cormorants keep cropping up on CV recently – Tromsø, Antarctica, and now China – we have Cormorant World rather well covered I think!

Do those poles actually touch the bottom to propel the raft along – like punting on the river in Cambridge? I did actually manage to do that a couple of times many years ago, but the Cam is very shallow and narrow and there was nothing bigger than another punt to potentially collide with . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X