Crystal Symphony Rome to London June 2010 Cruise 0212

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crystal Symphony Rome to London June 2010 Cruise 0212

I am wavering between setting up a separate thread...but I'm just going to go ahead and put these photos here. It's a lot, but every time I go to say "no", I can't. Visiting the SS Great Britain is one of the main things I wanted to share with you here...and one of the main reasons I kicked myself in the you-know-what to get it written. So, I guess I should say "thank you" to all of you.

These are the huge dehumidifiers that keep the hull atmosphere at an arid 20% humidity.

This is the original drydock where SS Great Britain was built.

Comment

Looking up from the drydock, through the glass ceiling and water-- sort of like your looking just through the waterline. Maybe it's what a fish would see??

A Pakarang view of her hull. Look how HUGE she is above the water line--even accounting for distortion!

Once these were covered in water.....

Comment

I take photos of everything, it seems.

Y'all have turned me into such a ship-geek!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good to know if you are ever travelling in steerage.....

Comment

E. Your photos are incredible, I'm so enjoying them. It seems unfair to the rest to single out any particular pic. but I must say that, ignoring the actual subject matter, the posts at #50.4 and 5 and also 51.1 are so beautiful purely from the point of view of color and design. And all the photos of the Great Britain are of particular interest to me. I took my B.u.n.g.a.y Society group to see it when we stayed in Bristol back in the mid-90's, but the massive restoration work that you have portrayed had not then been put in place. The ability to go "under water" did not exist, and I'm pretty sure you could not even go aboard. I'm a bit confused on the latter because on another trip staying in Portsmouth we went on board the Victory, HMS Warrior and saw Henry VIII's Mary Rose. (Now that's something you ought to get to see one day!!!)
                So all I have, really, is a poor photo of the Great Britain's soaring prow. You pics. are a joy. Thank you.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Darling E all this is simply marvellous. Total enjoyment looking through it all, and in other threads too. And I mean ALL OF IT…though can’t possibly comment on every single special thing as there are so many of them.

But I just have to say:

That “photo of the girls” at the Colosseum … hair all over the place so me -wow, a photo of me which I actually quite like, and just how rare is that!!!!!!!!!! [that makes two liked photos of me from that year in CVF, there was one on Fosen –amazing statistical anomaly!!!!!!!!!]

Didn’t we have FUN photographing all those statues in Rome (and the ice cream Norge! –I managed that, but look you captured that bird too whereas I was getting severe GCS by that time – giggling camera shake…).
                  And remember how Lookchin’s fur was smelling of shrimps for a while after that scrumptious seafood dinner?!

Oh, I wonder how long it will take Ralf to spot the especially for him bonus detail photo?...
                  And will wherrygirl discover a door knocker in Tangier?!
                  I just HAVE to declare that crew jack-in-the-box photo gets an award from me. Well, we will see what our Captain has to say about the subsequent activity. (And I have a secret bet which photo of “that cathedral” will appeal to him!)

Ahhhhhh….Lisboa…………….

Did I say I simply couldn’t mention everything?…but…but…
                  Yummy chocolates every night for LC, another one of those door details for wherrygirl, ship stuff…LC allowed ashore on a wine tasting?!!…when I read that the fermenters are given girls names I was reminded of Vettel’s F1 cars for a moment, and then wondered where Elizabeth was…look LC gets to choose the lunch venue in Woodstock…and on to London where LC met Duckie…and YES E , I adored Bristol on my two too-short visits there –no, make that three, there was a conference in 1987…Chaotic clock and camera obscura….…and SUCH treats of bonus piccies ….and Brunel’s bridge…AND THEN the SS Great Britain!!!!

Quote from E's blog about the SS Great Britain: .…Just go see her yourself. You will be glad you did.
                  Sea-Troll writes: YES!!!! YES!!!!! ME!!!!! ME!!!!! I was there E!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

And will wherrygirl discover a door knocker in Tangier?!
                    What what what???? I've so much to backtrack on in E.'s thread, but it'll be Tangier first stop when I get down to it, then a hunt for the other one.....
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Ivy dear, it’s simply amazing how stuff comes together here on CVF isn’t it…connections, connections….just now you’d mentioned that you’d visited HMS Warrior in Portsmouth, as I did on a return visit just a few weeks ago! That was the normal tourist visit, but the previous time back in 1998 was for a conference (it always seems to be a conference that gets me down south doesn’t it –the cruise I’m just back from being the exception!). Well, we (we as in the Palaeontological Association), had our annual dinner aboard HMS Warrior, so if you can recollect that great length with tables between each gun emplacement, and imagine it in the lamplight on a dark December evening…but here I go wonderfully off topic as usual. And E with your recent sommelier training, it was no sparkling wine reception on that occasion, nor a very English glass of Spanish sherry, but a maritime RUM ration….not a beverage everyone is accustomed to, and think not rationed, for it flowed freely…a VERY convivial evening was had by all……………!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You ladies are AWESOME!!

But let me say that I want you to PACE yourselves!!! Pace yourselves. I was determined to get this to CVF before I take off for San Diego for a family wedding on Wednesday, and then I get back on Monday to turn around the next Saturday and fly to Stockholm. As I wrote the Captain...I've made 33 blog posts and edited 753 photos.....so I don't expect you all to cover them TODAY!!!!!!!!

I'm so tempted to hop over the pond to go back to Andy and John's to stay a bit longer...I want to explore more of Bristol. I have fallen in love with that little man Brunel (he was shorter than I am!!! what an amazing man. So creative.

Here's a giggle about Andy you will love. Back in 1998, Alan finished his Masters of Business Administration so we threw a party to celebrate. A toga party, just like in Animal House. Formal invites, grain alcohol punch... the works.Andy came for the weekend, saying he'd always wanted to be able to say "I'm just hopping over the pond to go to a toga party." He got stopped at customs for a search (single guy, one small bag...no such thing as profiling, right?) and said the customs agent gave him the strangest look when he pulled out a toga and gold wreath of laurel leaves...................

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          The next day, we visited the amazing SS Great Britain You'll want to set aside some time. Trust me.
                          I've commented this at your FB page and I would like to repeat it here... I had no idea how much there was to see on this one!

I knew there was a ship by this name, but I had no idea there was so much to see! You have opened my eyes to something that I REALLY would like to see myself some day.
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Back to the propeller-thingy (as taken from Titanic in the scene where Rose was about to jump from the ship's stern), I wonder what would happen if you put this ship back at sea and installed Korsfjord's 1000kW thrusters in each end.....

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Back to the propeller-thingy (as taken from Titanic in the scene where Rose was about to jump from the ship's stern), I wonder what would happen if you put this ship back at sea and installed Korsfjord's 1000kW thrusters in each end.....
                              Waterskiing across the Atlantic?????

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                                Waterskiing across the Atlantic?????
                                Perhaps.... perhaps. I think we need some additional "pod-thingies" to get into that kind of speed with such a heavy ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X