Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all so much for being so honest and for listening!

Yes, as Tommi says, and I agree: the world is changing so fast, and I think not for the better. Everything is now becoming incorporated and everything requires you to be on FB.

I don't like Facebook anymore, and there is a reason I stayed offline for such a long time. Facebook is not the same as it was many years ago. There is an endless feed of totally uninteresting posts, it's like a world championship in scrolling once a day... and my finger gets tired very fast, and I log off. If I have that feeling with FB, I'm sure others do too. So, I don't think FB is the way to go either. I agree with you Ralf, the future is probably not on FB. As you say, the reasons you list are exactly the same thoughts that I have.

Actually, the end of FB has been discussed many a time over the past half decade. They are needless to say, past their prime.

There is SO MUCH advertising everywhere: even if you pay for a +-subscription to a local paper, every article and video is full of advertisements. YouTube is full of advertisements. Instagram is full of advertisements. If you go to the cinema, you will have to endure some 10-20 minutes of advertisements before your movie starts.

And in the world now: all norms, ethical rules and all procedures for some reason have to be challenged and broken. Nothing is holy anymore. Make fun of the King, make fun of friends, mock the police... I could go on and on. The biggest world leader brag about this and that, continually lie and forgets how much he lies, he bullies others and is as close to fascist dictator as it is possible to come: and this behaviour is ACCEPTED.

The Photobucket issue really gave us a lot of new nails to the coffin. It was a disaster for many of us, and for the continuity of the board.

The old threads are indeed extremely long and very confusing. I don't think many people actually goes back 50-70+ pages to read about the past, unless you are here to research a particular interest, thread or ship.

I like the idea Ralf has to send parts of the board on a diet. There are sections here we could close off right now, we can also keep them, but invisible to everyone. Because of the amount of work associated with it, we stopped doing photo competitions. That group could be removed, as well as the Winners Gallery (the images are gone already), and the section related to Apple /MAC. There is probably a lot more cleaning we could do, to kind of get back to the "essentials".

It's almost like the home of a hoarder: we need to eliminate all the distractions and concentrate on what we actually use. Am I right?

Thank you all so much once again for your time, honesty and for your everlasting friendship.

I can promise you one thing, and that is the fact that my life would have been so much poorer without all of you in it. I'm immensely proud of everyone here, and I'm so thankful to those of you that I have met. Such a wonderful group of people.

Last edited by pakarang; February 25th, 2019, 16:09. Reason: EDIT: .... and this was my post number 51.000 here... FIFTY ONE THOUSAND POSTS! Time for a cake?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• DS Lyngen
      DS Lyngen commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy your cake, it's well deserved.

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      FB is something of a monster; it does have useful comments on some things of interest..but wading through the illiterate trivia gets tiresome.

you have my adres for the cake?
    long way before i reach that amount,
    this is 11,300
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
      you have my adres for the cake?
      long way before i reach that amount,
      this is 11,300
      If you ever find yourself driving a truck through Trondheim, Thijs, I will make a special cake for you!

So happy to hear from Linray too, and so happy that you enjoyed some tips on Thailand. I feel extremely fulfilled learning that someone actually got some tips on how to enjoy Thailand a little but better.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Linray
        Linray commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a whirl wind tour of Asia, six cities in about 12 days!! As I had just one day in Bangkok I wanted to select the best things to do in the time available. Ended up on the Hop-on ferry down the river stopping at Temples and the market. Sadly by that stage the humidity was getting the better of me.

Please don't think I'm not bothering to answer. So many questions to consider, so many feelings to express. But I will post my thoughts tomorrow, for what they're worth.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• wherrygirl
        wherrygirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I haven't kept my promise, but will try again tomorrow. This is such an important matter.

Thank you Linray... that sound so exhausting! Hope you got some moments to sit back and relax and just take it all in. One day in Bangkok is like scratching a tiny piece of the biggest watermelon you have ever seen. Hope you get time in the future to return, and to learn more about the delights and hidden treats of the city (and the whole country as well of course).

Thank you for dropping by wherrygirl. Let me say this, and I have said it before, it is always an honour and pleasure to have you with us.

Life moves continuously in ups and downs, the future is unknown, but we can create it together.

I have been extremely privileged to meet such a great group of people: you are all so amazing, and I have nothing but great gratitude to you all.

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been on facebook and astounded by the vast number of religious sorts who sound evangelical and occupy so much space I give up. And the Anti-vaxxers and others backing their own ego. If I can stand their trivia, there are good aspects - drowned out by the noisy. If there is no attempt to restrict the nature of replies (I have been referred to a a troll...haha!) then it will be adieu....soon.

I can point to that little ship beloved of many –- the Kong Olav - for the reason I came to CVF. Gaelsail, (another CVF member who is no longer around) saw my photos on Flickr and contacted me asking if I would show them on this forum she belonged to. I had a look, liked what I saw and joined immediately.
      The first thing that struck me was how friendly and chatty everyone was. Eager to get my pics. on board I needed help to identify a few of my images which were taken between ports on that memorable journey. CVF members to the rescue! Quickly came replies as to where each particular stretch of water and mountain was in those pics I could not identify.. That done, I composed my thread. It was all such fun.
      What impressed me was the variety of forums made available on which to post – as well as the opportunity to start one of your own. It wasn'’t just all ships, no way. Thread titles covered no end of different topics, it must have taken Jan-Olav ages to gather all his ideas together and present them in such an orderly manner. For me it was a goldmine of information and opportunity.
      Although always most happy when I'’m near water,– sea, lake, river....…… I had no special interest in ships until I lived for a time in the New Forest (Hampshire) and saw the two Queens in dock on my occasional ferry trips over to Southampton. Then there was the SS Rotterdam, because it was while I lived there that she was launched. Little did I know that many years into the future I would be on mad car races driven by a certain Dutchman chasing liners from Rotterdam docks right down to the sea, where on one occasion I watched the QM2 disappear into the sunset like all good film endings! And I went on board that SS Rotterdam -– twice!!
      However, once in CVF I began to learn. Not about the big liners but about what I call the working ships, and became fascinated by Ombugge’'s erudite accounts, stage by stage, of the oil well disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Thereafter I enjoyed following his photos of Singapore shipping. I learnt about HLC’s, and was delighted when Thijs took me to see the Fjord in Rotterdam. We got fairly close to her and gazing at the immensity of the vessel, its red paint making it stand out so well, it was the CVF HLC photos come to life. I knew what they could do, and here was one in front of me.
      I could continue, as my learning has, but I'’ll spare you that!
      I enjoy seeing photos of tugs working and the barges and to see them in reality is great. –It was fun photographing the latter on the canals when I stayed in ‘s-Hertogenbosch and in Woudrichem, and sitting in the lovely café high up above the Rhine and watching the river traffic below (I'’ll always remember that, Ralf, as well as all the other wonderful places you showed me that weekend). But I have little interest in looking through photos of ships passing by, vessels and places I don'’t know.
      But that doesn'’t matter - there are so many other threads full of interest, discovery and often amusement. The trouble being that they are now rarely followed up, either by the one who instigated them (and I am very guilty here, despite good intentions) or by other members. And as already mentioned by other posters on this problem, the lack of comments leaves you unsure whether people have looked at your pics. or not. Do they care? And again, I plead guilty. I love the travelogues, but haven’t commented much lately because I'’ve not yet even studied them. This is not lack of interest, but of opportunity. They are not the sort of thing to skip quickly through and do a “Like” at the end, “a meaningless reaction” as Thijs so rightly said. These carefully planned threads need justice done to them.
      And as to Facebook, I laughed wryly when I read Ralf'’s statement that it is without structure and without intelligence. I had two goes at FB ages ago, for family research reasons. A distant relative who I discovered in a very roundabout way (via my trip to Oz) was trying to set up a research group on FB to share information. But all we got was idiot after idiot posting things like "Yeah, I'm a Bowden, too, isn't it great." So much for sharing information!!! I soon resigned, being assured that all my personal records would be deleted after a short period. Then later I rejoined for another try, only to find all my details were as I left them – still there. The research again came to nothing and, so disgusted at the paucity of language - and yes, intelligence – I resigned again.
      All that Jan-Olav said in the first part of #121 is so very, very true of the world as it is becoming. But surely, isn'’t that what makes CVF different? We don'’t follow the trend, our standards of friendly communication remain high, courtesy is the norm.
      Thijs said that CVF is now more a travel forum than a maritime/vessel one. I think it seems like that because so many other interesting threads are no longer kept up so it seems as if there is only ships and travelogues. But that's what was so special about CVF, it wasn’'t just for shipping, even though Jan-Olav had his dream about the Norway he didn’'t restrict CVF to that. The list of forums opens up so many other good ideas and Thijs has his Highway Cruiser and model making threads. But that'’s the problem, most of those other possibilities now lie unused.
      I’'ve not forgotten the threads I started, and keep wanting to get back to them. The creative urge is as alive as ever. But somehow time seems to have shrunk, and there are also other reasons recently. But only recently, and they don'’t excuse my earlier inaction.
      FB is ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends who aren’'t seen often, so that they can share family news and photos of what they are doing. But, as many members have said, joining FB and setting up a group there does not seem to be the answer for CVF. I very much doubt if I would follow it there. Ralf's idea of having something like the German Hurtigrute forum might suit, but then our system of joining photos with text would not sit easily in that. A discussion section sounds attractive, not unlike the Chit-Chat thread that our Paul started up. But would members have the time to use it much?
      I am unhappy about the way CVF has lost its "oomph", and so often when I visit it I am disappointed. But for me it is still a comfort just to know it is there, I visit it with hope for something good.and without it there would be a big gap in my life. I don't want to be restricted to just my local bit of Suffolk, even though I belong to various Bungay things which have some importance and meaning in the town.The international flavour used to be a breath of fresh air to me but that also is lessening now.
      Perhaps a little weeding out of brief, unimportant threads would be a good idea but In the end it is up to us, isn't it? If we could get back to a few of the unused threads and come up with some additions of our own it would perhaps restore some of the variety of ideas that used to be so apparent and attractive.
      And maybe it would attract more new members keen to join in.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not sure that revitalising CVF will be a solution to the issue. It needs to be as far away from FB as possible. And there is still opportunity to perhaps do a quick questionnaire on this site and gather the feeling more specifically from the members?

Once again, decisions regarding the future of the forum...
      I looked back to a similar juncture in June 2017 when Captain had sought our opinion, and much of my response then remains relevant now. Jan-Olav had mixed feelings about continuing the forum, and I replied "...there is a part of me that feels the same way. I don't even have to factor in any personal stuff and current demands on my time, or my own inadequacies in writing and quick communication.
      It's simply this:- that I’ve noticed in the last few years I no longer feel able to recommend the forum to ship-interested folk I've encountered, whether elsewhere online or in person in port or aboard cruises
      ."

I ended my comments expressing my support for whatever Jan-Olav decided, and that was echoed by Mark.
      There was not a lot I could do to help - my professional involvement with computer programming is stalled in the 1970s! - but I'm close enough to be aware that keeping any kind of software functioning on so many platforms these days is both technically complex and time consuming.
      Whilst reminding us then, as now, that we were stuck with vBulletin because of their change of format, Mark liaised with Jan-Olav and managed a mammoth software update, and so the forum continued. But I have frequently wondered whether Jan-Olav's decision would have been different had we known what was about to befall us.
      The Photobucket bombshell struck on the last day of June 2017, and has been followed by changes to Flickr, leaving us even less able to satisfactorily sustain a forum that has always been photo-biased,

The German Hurtigforum that Ralf mentioned is focused on the one subject of Hurtigruten that has a long-standing and very dedicated following in Germany, and the forum is so is well established. I very much doubt that either Mark or Jan-Olav have the appetite to create an English language version of such a forum, which is what Ralf's "reset" suggestion amounts to. CVF is unique because it was created to embrace Jan-Olav's many and varied interests, and I cannot imagine it being otherwise.

Captain's creation - forum, friends, family - has been at the centre of my life for over a decade, always inspiring, actually life-changing. Of course it is emotional and really hard to be realistic and admit with Mark that perhaps "the time has come to call it a day". Ivy reminisced how the ship Kong Olav brought her to the forum, and perhaps that ship's later story is now an a appropriate analogy for the good ship CaptainsVoyage. Jan-Olav had put so much into keeping hopes alive for Kong Olav too, but there came a point, given her state of deterioration in the tropics, that "Saving Kong Olav" ceased to be a realistic aim. I was actually relieved when she was dismantled and not just left to further decay, and folk could move on from the fantasies - and in our Captain's case to even have played a part in enabling a future for a still viable traditional ship.

Future planning for CVF
      I don't want to dwell on the pro- and anti-FB issues as it is already obvious that there will not be a clear consensus among the remaining few of us! Whatever the future holds, I know I'd always keep in touch with my close CVF family members, though perhaps not all in the same way.

The main thing right now is that we do need to know more exactly when the current subscription actually runs out. And, even if we can't continue here, should we renew anyway so as to allow for what Tommi called a "soft closing"?

But the fundamental decision of whether to continue as a forum has to me made by our Administrators alone

As Yves puts it "...the decision our captain(s) will take will be the right decision."
      Last edited by Seagull; March 7th, 2019, 10:00. Reason: I simplified my rambling Future Planning paragraph after reading Yvneac's succinct and elegant prose!

Comment

First of all I must say that I would be very sad if it's the end of CVF. Since 2012 I regularly spend time on it and it's always a pleasure to get news from Aalesund, Trondheim, Kristiansund and a lot of other places in the world.

Even though the activity seems to be less important lately, I still click every day to keep in touch with our friendly group, feeling the air of Norway and learning new things from its members.Thank's to CVF I had invaluable meetings, some of them virtual, others real. I can't thank our administrators enough for that.

Everybody knows that my competences in computing are about zero (even less), but I can imagine it's not so easy to manage it technicaly, not to mention the time it requires. So that, the decision of our captain(s) will take will be the right decision.

As for me I had great fun by playing « what place is it ? », I didn't trip without the idea to make a report, I always enjoyed other member's contributions.

And I'm ready to continue, in any new medium.

Comment

Working...
        X