Google Image Search UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Image Search UK

Google users in the UK will have noticed that the Image Search page of Google was totally redesigned last month. Is the UK alone in having this change forced upon us?

I personally absolutely hate the new design, it makes the task of searching for information regarding images very tiresome to say the least.

For those members that have also found the Google Image search changed recently, what do you think about it?

And for those of you that have been switched to the new design and dislike it, here is a link you may like very much.

http://www.google.de/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi

It would seem that Google have not yet inflicted this change on our German friends, the link above will take you to the English version of the German Google image search. You will see that it's not been changed to the new design we have here in the UK. Long may it stay that way!
    Last edited by Steve.B; March 21st, 2013, 18:18.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Re: Google Image Search UK

I've just had a look, Steve, but going to Google's home page and clicking on Images it still comes up with the usual page. I clicked on Learn More and came to the pages that you're probably referring to. I tried for an image and it took me to the same collection as I got by just using the normal page. I tried it in both Firefox - my usual search engine - and the hated IE, and it was the same in both.
    Give it a whirl, Steve, ignore all the fancy descriptions and just tell it what you want.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I am not fully understanding what you mean, Ivy. When you go to image search by the normal route - google, then click on images at the top, it will take you to a page that looks totally normal. And when you search for something it does appear to give you the normal selection of results. That is what i am getting.

It is from there onwards that it's changed. Before, if you hovered your mouse pointer over an image the image would enlarge slightly and give you the title of the jpg, where it is from, and what size the image is. Plus it gave you a button that would show you other sizes of the same image, and a link to similar images. All of that without clicking on anything.

But with the new version it no longer does that, hovering your mouse over a thumbnail no longer enlarges it, nor does it give you the title of the jpg - a feature that was so useful when searching before. Neither does it give you a link to the other sizes of the image, or similar images.

To get that basic information now, you have to actually click on the thumbnail, then a very large dark grey box will open up which takes up half of the screen. Only then will you get the information you had before. And even that is a recent tweak to the new design, before now you had to then click on 'visit page' before you could get any information at all.

It was easier before to just quickly mouse-over the images quickly to see the relevant information.

Is this not happening when you use the normal image search at the moment? I know it's been rolled out across the UK because i have been following lots of discussions concerning it on the Google forums. Hundreds of complaints - especially from webmasters who have found that traffic to their sites as dropped by half since the new designed was rolled out last month. It would appear that people are just copying the images straight from the very large box that open when you click on a thumbnail now. So you should be seeing the same sort of thing your end, Ivy.

There is also at this moment a bug with the new design concerning Firefox users. I have always had google search results set to Never show instants - i hate google filling my screen with things it thinks i might want, plus, i always have it set to open search results in a new window, in firefox it will open them in a new tab. by that i mean, when i clicked on a image thumbnail (in the previous version of search), it would open the link in a new tab, leaving the search results alone. That way i simply had to close that new tab to be straight back at the image results page - no need to click the back button, very handy if you have followed a few links from the original search result you opened.

But, at the moment, and google have admitted they doubt they will be able to fix the issue soon, unless you have 'instants' enabled in your google search settings, google image search messes up when you visit the page that the original thumbnail was from. It will open the link in a new tab, but at the same time it will load the link on top of the original search results page. So, once you have finished with the link and have shut the tab that it opened in, you then find that to get back to your search results you will have to hit the 'back' button.

Google have admitted the fault, and the only way around it at the moment is to turn ON instant results in the search options, then opening a link from the search results will not cause google to overwrite the results page.

Like i say, i really hate that darn 'instants' results, so no way will i be turning that on. So for the time being i am simply not using the new image search.

By reading through the google forums i found out that Google Germany have not yet rolled out the new design, so that is why i am using the German site at the moment - especially since i found out you can display the German site in English!

So, Ivy, have you noticed this change on the normal UK image search - mouse-over no longer enlarging the image and giving all the info? Only way to get info is to now click on a thumbnail and have a box fill half your screen? In theory that is what you should be seeing at the moment.
      Last edited by Steve.B; March 23rd, 2013, 03:31.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I'm with you on this Steve. The new and improved version is not as user friendly as the old one, where you could see basic info on the thumbnail.
        It's the same as on Photobucket, the new version is a step backwards for the user, but keep a lot of young programmers busy creating things they think you need, or want.
        Unfortunately they have no "real life experience" and don't understand that not everybody is interested in the same things as teenagers and Collage students.
        Last edited by ombugge; March 23rd, 2013, 04:43.

Comment

Yes, Steve, I'm with you now - I thought you were talking about the initial Google home search page. The new system is annoying, I agree, particularly as it no longer gives the location details of a photo.
          To check on exactly what I do, I opened a new tab and clicked on the Google home page icon, then searched for an image. The page of photos opened up in the new tab, I clicked on a thumbnail to bring up your grey box, then again on the image to enlarge it and it opened in that same tab. To return to the search page full of photos I clicked on the back button, (which took me back to the blank Google home page) but then clicked the forward button immediately and the screen returned to the photo page I was searching through.
          But hey, Steve, a queer thing has happened - was it learning what I wanted to do? I went through the same procedure again as far as the grey box, but then with the enlarged photo on screen I clicked just the back button and it returned immediately to the page of photos I was searching. The same happened when I clicked Visit Page, or View Original in the grey box. It went there then returned to the page of photos with just one click on the Back button.
          Does this mean that I have instants enabled? By that I assume you mean the annoying pop-ups that appear down the side of the screen. There were none when I was testing the photos just now though I do get them elswhere. Trouble is I can't find where to check them out.

PS - found it and it seems that while pop-ups are generally not allowed, one of the exceptions is Google (of course!) Well, I'll leave it as it is for a bit because the photo problem doesn't worry me unduly, it is just one more irritating trifle that goes with the Net. I do agree, though, that pop-ups are irritating, particularly those that hide under Firefox so that when you close it the pop-up is still onscreen. If you just close it then next time you open Firefox it's lost all your tabs except that one miscreant.
          Last edited by wherrygirl; March 24th, 2013, 14:29.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
          X