• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoloUK
    started a topic Forum upgrade August 2017

Forum upgrade August 2017

Well, something's happening.

I hope very much that the site works for you and that we've got all the data still with us.

Any comments, suggestions, preferences ... let us know here - I'll shut down the old stream so that we don't get confused.

Not every suggestion will get taken up - but hopefully we can find a happy half-way house for most users over the next few days.

I know that the 'most users' module is displaying date in the wrong format. That's on the list!

I have reduced the minimum number of letters for both posts and comments (Hi Ivy!).

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    it was between 8 and 9 pm cet. somewhere. i made the task force mail at 8.35pm
    but mayby that the laptop was playing games with me,but only cvf was playing up that time.
    but after it didn't had any problems

• PoloUK
    replied
    Dunno Thijs. I looked several times yesterday and it was fine, including around 9pm, 10pm and 11pm UK time. Things do bounce occasionally and it can be to do with the way that the 'caches' work (the storage in several different places around the internet). There's very little more I can do. I did do a full back up yesterday, and I will endeavour to do an upgrade at some stage, but I'm struggling to do everything at the moment, and the things that pay the bills will have to take priority. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    last night the forum was out again fo a while.
    al numbers was one x and at the top line where stands new topics members list etc etc stands nav topics ,nav list etcetc

i send the leftovers of the task force a mail about it if more members had it too.
    there are just 6 members,7 including myself left of the taskforce, (i thought we started with some 12 a 13 members)
    and i got a post back of 3 members that the mail couldend be delivered as adress onknown.
    not to be delivered was Seagull, Ombugge and Sterkoder.

Leave a comment:

• Tommi
    replied
    Thank you very much Polo for sorting out all the bells and whistles.
    I am too in the same business: having far too many things to attend to during my free time.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    thank God for those nerds like PoloUK.
    those damned computers are getting smarter and smarter,but harder and harder to maneged.

count me out for helping out, i'm already happy that i can type some words and places images.
    LOL

I agree, I remember when the forum was an easy to do thing... I could run it by myself, and I understood how to do it... Now, the forum has become way above my level of knowledge, I'm nowhere near understanding how to run the back of this massive thing.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    thank God for those nerds like PoloUK.
    those damned computers are getting smarter and smarter,but harder and harder to maneged.

count me out for helping out, i'm already happy that i can type some words and places images.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    This was a "major" crash of our system, and I am so thankful for the valuable assistance of PoloUK to get this up and running again.

To be honest, if it hadn't been for him, the forum would now have been "dead".

There is no way in heaven I would have been able to sort out this crash.... it was all Greek to me! I used to be fairly "good" at this, but that was back when the forum was "simple" to run.... it's not like that anymore.

I'm terribly worried about our future if we don't have people like PoloUK to help us out... he is a genius and understands this way better than I probably ever will.

But, I also understand and respect that his time is also limited. We really need to find someone else that is also capable to take on the huge task that is on his shoulders.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Thank you for a job well done!
    The main change for me, is that the message in the website address/link line (or what it's called) no longer start with IKKE SIKKER (NOT SECURE).
    So I guess the link to CVF is secure then..., finally.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied
    Welcome back world. That was a fairly fundamental crash of our system that has taken us down for a few days.

Looks like a problem with our database managed to do quite a lot of damage, but I've found how to overcome this - and on this occasion our web providers, webhuset.no were helpful.

Let's see if the system stays up and stable for a while, and whilst I've got the nice man in Bergen talking to me, I'll also try to find out why the mails aren't getting sent.

Had I mentioned that we need someone else to take on some of what I do - I'm struggling to find the time to do everything I'm committed to.

UPDATE: You should no longer get annoying security notices when you log in - the site is now protected by an SSL certificate which should protect anything you send to it being intercepted, and which is increasingly necessary to get search engines to notice our existence. Site fell over for a few minutes whilst upgraded, just to cause me distress. Will try to overcome the lack of emails in the next few days.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    BIG SHOUT: I HAVE ALWAYS USED CAPS. FOR MY BIRTHDAY GREETINGS. DIDN'T IT NOTICE BEFORE?
    He he! See if that turns out OK.
    But seriously, Mark, I know you pleaded some while ago for someone else to take on the job of keeping the software going, sorting out the tangle of bewildering little glitches that it keeps throwing up, as well as dealing with the terrific task of the upgrading. For a long time now you have smoothed things out, repairing each problem so that unless someone had actually encountered it they hardly noticed anything was wrong. As to the upgrading, well, again we hardly noticed apart from a very brief period offline. Then off we all went again with the improved version. (improved??? well, yes & no!).
    But you have your own onerous job in the tin hut, not to mention Polunnio, etc.. Tin hut is obligatory - you have to keep the larder stocked, after all - but the rest is your personal life and you should be free to enjoy it, not stealing time from it to look after our capricious software. Funny thing about computers. In my innocence I always used to think that they were yes/no, true/false, once having been given instruction they kept to it. I never will get used to the idea that they start off fine, then without warning and without anyone doing anything, they suddenly go beserk.
    Is there no-one in CVF willing and able to help out?

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied
    Quick update - Ivy found that if you use capital letters they get changed back to lower case. That is actually the forum software preventing what it sees as shouting! I've turned that off now, so you can USE AS MANY CAPITAL LETTERS AS YOU LIKE!!

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    May be worth refreshing your caches if possible.

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    Having said that, I had no trouble making that post and it appears on the Forum list too. I'll try to find time to LOOK AT CAPITAL letters for Ivy too.

• PoloUK
    replied
    I don't think it's terribly well at the moment. As I warned some months ago though I simply don't have the time to maintain the system, and so we really need someone else to take that responsibility on. We've been having loads of database errors for some time now, they come and go. I'm nervous about doing an update because I never trust the software not to die completely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X