No announcement yet.

Forum upgrade August 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a new security patch that we need to install soon. I have installed it on the test site and all seems well, but as usual we'll leave it for a couple of weeks before backing up the main site and upgrading.

(Don't forget you've got a Photobucket problem in your signature on each post J-O.)
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      There is a new security patch that we need to install soon. I have installed it on the test site and all seems well, but as usual we'll leave it for a couple of weeks before backing up the main site and upgrading.

(Don't forget you've got a Photobucket problem in your signature on each post J-O.)
      Excellent - signature issue taken care of. Removed broken image-link and removed old, non-working links. Should have been done a long time ago, but .... oh, well...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well, would you believe it. I haven't got as far as updating to the latest patch level (because we leave it a few weeks between an upgrade appearing and being brave enough to try), and there's a new version of the software available!

As ever we'll stick to the same routine. I'll update our test site, give it a couple of weeks, then back up and update the main site. Hopefully before the next upgrade comes this time.

The list of what this does for us can be found here ...
        https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-now-available

Nothing earth-shattering I don't think - just keeping up.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to know.
          I think that the most important is to keep the forum software "approximately updated" :-) As least as long that vBulletin don't release critical safety patches.

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        (because we leave it a few weeks between an upgrade appearing and being brave enough to try),
        Now Mark, none of this "being brave enough to try". You have got into an excellent routine when updating the forum and take every precaution, backing up everything every time. And it works!
        I think we are now beginning to take it for granted that we no longer have to get exasperated with software problems as you have it all under control. Take it for granted, yes, but that in itself is a great compliment to you and your skill.
        Thanks.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Underlined, put in bold letters and added a couple of exclamation marks!!
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I would NEVER have been able to continue doing this hadn't it been for the critical rescue from PoloUK!

There is so much more than THANK YOU I would love to say... there are no words to express my gratefulness. My knowledge is not THAT strong on all these technical terms.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi - just to say that I do need to do a forum upgrade at some stage. We're one update behind at the moment, but I'd prefer to take us forward one step at a time.

I'll try to get that done in the next week or so, ideally when I can see that not many people are on line.

Just in case anyone goes on and finds the system doing strange things.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Eek, help, oh crumbs.
                But no, Ivy, Mark is at the helm so we won't notice anything.

OK, backup and upgrade done. Hopefully none of us will see any difference.

I need to do another similar upgrade in a little while, but I need to upgrade our test site first to make sure there's nothing frightening going on with that.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
                Tommi commented
                Editing a comment
                The wheels still seems to keep on turning - so that's a succes then?!?!

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                nothing of notice that something works different.
                must be okay than

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks both. I just worry about all the time and effort that we've all invested over the years, so hate the idea of anything going wrong. We're actually currently two updates behind, so I'll put them on the trial site tonight and check that all is well there.

Mark the update has shut out Ivy completly.
              she cant make a reply or make new comments at cvf anymore since her last reply on the woudrichem trhead.
              she also can't' pm you.so wil send you an mail about it later.she has logged in the right way, but nothing allows her to get in here.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Thijs/Ivy I don't think it's anything to do with the upgrade, otherwise Ivy wouldn't have been able to post yesterday. Ivy, I think you use Firefox? Could you try clearing the cache: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-firefox-cache

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                All is well this morning, Mark. To avoid clogging up this thread I'll PM you to describe what happened in case it sheds any light on it. Many thanks for the tip about the cache, I've made a note in my bible for future reference and will have a dekko.

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Okidoki - glad you’re back!

I will have to do the next upgrade fairly soon - the current version is throwing up a lot of SQL errors (the system that accesses the database) at the moment. Hopefully they'll go away when we update to the next version or the one after that. I just remain nervous that the system is stable when we do that - we've been lucky for the past few upgrades, but I'm always mindful about how much work has gone into this from all of us over such a long time. I'll give it at least a week though.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X