No announcement yet.

Forum upgrade August 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During a coffee break I've added a 'Help' page - accessed via the 'sub-tab' bar towards the top of the home page.

If anyone has any comments on what I've said in there, do let me know and I'll change/improve/update as appropriate.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• pakarang
      pakarang commented
      Editing a comment
      EXCELLENT! Loved the text too! Well done!

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      It's great Polo (oh if only my coffee breaks were so productive!).

A couple of evolutionary things - firstly, you may have noticed (if you're a Windows user), that we've now changed our 'Favicon' - the little image that appears in the tab of your browser. It should now be a tinsy winsy teeny weeny version of the ship from the logo.

Also considering whether to put a background photo behind the site to liven it up. Don't think it would be distracting, but opinions are welcome (although the decision of the Captain is final!).

It could perhaps look something like this ...

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks wonderful, but perhaps we should keep it a bit more neutral?

• PoloUK
      PoloUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, interested to hear what others think. It would be good to liven things up a little I suspect, but I don't want to overdo it. What it looks like with the background varies ENORMOUSLY depending on the screen you're using.

I like that!

Comment

It kind of "set's the tone" for what the forum MAY contain once you sign up, log in and start looking around.

Tommi's point of view is also valid - I think it's important to find just the "perfect" background image which doesn't distract too much but still sparks some interest and curiosity.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A-ha, we have oomph! I like the idea very much, as it invites one in to the forum, making an announcement.
        I have reservations on one or two details but cannot stop now. Will post again later today.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Mark, a couple of points I'm wondering about:
          1) Is the snow on the mountains a bit too distracting? You have to delineate the mountains, I agree, but perhaps just variation in the blues and a bit of green here and there may do that? The logo doesn't stand out so well any more, either, though It could of course be set on a white disc or box background if the snow weren't there to compete. The lovely picture attracts immediately but then the eye has to look for the logo rather than seeing it as an integral part of the banner. The visitor may well go straight into the page, anyway.
          2) I keep getting annoyed that the lower part of the ship is cut off. Then I think that the overlap is a good idea in theory, then I revert to first thought. Maybe it is because the image of the vessel stands out as the major part of the picture and the heart of the forum's origin - even though there are so many other topics within - and I want to see the whole of it.

That favicon.
          On this laptop, Vista with Firefox, the favicon on the tab right at the top of the page remains unchanged - a sort of tick with a short stroke at the beginning. Nothing else. On IE9 there is only the search engine's own favicon. With the netbook XP with IE8: there is a toolbar with a few things on it and the new ship icon against the title of the forum page, while Firefox has much the same, in two places actually.

I'll get a new laptop one day, then will probably find that I'm seeing things quite differently!

But overall, I think the whole idea of the picture is really good.

Ivy

Comment

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            OK. Checked cache on Firefox and it said 37 Kb. Yes, Kb. I clicked on Clear Cached Web Content and it went down to 8 Kb. Doesn't seem to want to clear that.
            Still no favicon.
            I can't seem to find anything on IE.

• PoloUK
            PoloUK commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for checking Ivy - I think it's probably in 'picking on Ivy' mode. The caches can go into the 100KB or even more.

Keep trying - talk soon.

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Success! I have little ship favicon. I tried several times last night then just now again, all to no avail. It doesn't seem to know what's in the cache as when all my tabs had loaded but before I had done anything else I went to have a look. It first said 100 + Mb, I cleared that then it offered several other amounts until at last it was down to the 8Kb and the icon.
            Phew, what a palaver.

The Most Users Ever on LIne seems to be working well now - been keeping an eye on it.
          Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
            PoloUK commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish we could learn more about our 'guests'. It would be fascinating to see who else is looking at our world - interesting that it's roughly the same number most of the time. Glad that the favicon has now appeared for you.

Yes, it would be nice to learn more about the "guests" we have a lot of - but then again, I have noticed that CaptainsVoyage Forum ranks really high on goggle searches.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

225 bots?
            The version before last (I think!) used to differentiate between humans and search engines, but the previous version to this one stopped doing that.
            Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Really don't know the answer to that one.
          Working...
          X