Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum upgrade August 2017

Well, something's happening.

I hope very much that the site works for you and that we've got all the data still with us.

Any comments, suggestions, preferences ... let us know here - I'll shut down the old stream so that we don't get confused.

Not every suggestion will get taken up - but hopefully we can find a happy half-way house for most users over the next few days.

I know that the 'most users' module is displaying date in the wrong format. That's on the list!

I have reduced the minimum number of letters for both posts and comments (Hi Ivy!).
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

I can see that not everyone can comment on everything at the moment - working on that!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      Works quick and fine at my end.

• PoloUK
      PoloUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully I've fixed both the commenting issue and the 'most users ever was 3 weeks ago on 3 weeks ago' issues.

Yes, can Comment.
    But something odd - I went to my profile to see if it would let me view my subscriptions to threads (the old site wouldn't allow it) and this was at the top of the page: it is only on that one page, othera in my profile are OK (I think)

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in .../vb/api/page.php on line 288 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 4 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 5 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 16 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 27 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 27 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 44 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 53 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 53 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 3 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 4 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 14 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 17 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 25 Warning: Illegal string offset 'currentpage' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 84 Warning: Illegal string offset 'totalpages' in /home/C/captainsvoyageforumc/www/includes/vb5/template.php(318) : eval()'d code on line 84
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

OK, that's interesting. I can see my profile OK with Explorer. I'll try with a few other browsers.

We mustn't forget your good ideas about tidying up the style of the new views. Perhaps we need to reduce the size of the logo, and then I think it was the border at the top? I think we've possibly gone a little white which isn't helping contrast much. Keep reminding us please!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• NewPol
        NewPol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm - it doesn't seem ecstatic with Firefox on PC does it. Will keep digging. But not tonight! I'm not getting the same error that you are, I can see my profile without problems, but it doesn't seem to want to log in.

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea, it's a bit too big, I would scale it down to 40-50% of the current size.
        There's something funny happening when sizing down the browser window, the logo goes down to a very small sized one.
        I can see my profile and subscriptions.

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm - reduced size by 50%. Possible looks better size-wise, but it's gone blurry. Shouldn't have done, it's a PNG. Never mind, that's tomorrow's problem. Bye-ee.

My profile is fine and seems to be all there (which I fear I am not), but I thought I'd better report all that garbage in case it had repercussions elsewhere in the forum.

You said the following somewhere or other, Mark:

"PS - just posted an edit on Firefox from PC - hope I remembered the right combination for you Ivy! The screen is very, very pallid on Firefix anyway - the border is missing in fact!"

I think when you say border that is what I meant when I was nattering about the black/navy blue band between the pale blue and white sections at the top of the main page. That's where I can only see a thin dark line placed above the word "Forums". No nice big division between the two areas..Is that just Firefox? Yet it has always been there in the previous CVF version.
      Logging in I was pleasantly surprised to find I was already logged in on this site. See if it recognises me tomorrow.
      And am so pleased you've sorted that silly minimum number of characters demand!
      . .
      Ivy

Comment

Oi, why haven't I got that jolly little balloon next to my name under my avatar at the side of my posts, like wot everyone else has? And is it just a quick way of going to your PM?
        Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
          PoloUK commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you just confirm what type of browser you're using? And which version of Windows?

I will have to moderate the time I spend on here for a little while, but hopefully it's only simple things for us to cope with now.

Do keep telling me when you find things though.

• PoloUK
          PoloUK commented
          Editing a comment
          Ivy - I wonder if you need to 'clear your cache' (not trying to be personal!). If you click on the three horizontal bars at the top right of the FF screen, then options, advanced, network - and clear cached web content. I can't make FF misbehave on PC at home, so I wonder if something odd has crept in.

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Firefox 52.2.1 and Windows Vista Home Premium.
          Mark, this is not vital at the moment and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems anywhere for anyone so far. How many of us use that subscriptions page in our profile, anyway? I think I was just looking through my profile to see it it was all there- a purely academic exercise as I rarely go there.
          It is perhaps a one-time thing for Polo to play with when he's not snowed under with everything else. Forget it for a bit.

I have no suggestions, I totally depend on you guys to make this out. Trust you unlimited. Thanks for doing a great job!

Maybe I'll test including a picture while I'm here. This one is from a visit at Solskjelsøya island at Tustna, and we see the ferry EDØYFJORD between Smøla and Tustna. View almost due west

SSL22800 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Wonderful sky Svein.

I notice that the text colours on the site aren't quite what we thought they would be from the test site. You may see this evolve over the next few days.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• PoloUK
            PoloUK commented
            Editing a comment
            Have changed most of them to the blue/red scheme we had tried on the test environment.

Thank you Mark for all this time you spent to update our forum.

Comment

Dear all,

It's been a long journey working on upgrading the forum together with Mark! As I said before, there is no way in the world I would have been able to do all of this alone.

The hard work and effort is mostly on Mark I feel, and we all need to really understand that he has sacrificed a lot of time on helping us all out!

The job done is a job well done and I for one, is also pleased with the result and speed of things now!

As we say in Norway: SKÅL FOR FREMTIDEN!

(Loosely translated as Cheers! to the future!)
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              SKÅL! Cheers to Mark
              If I had more time today I would have tried to make a cartoon of the good ship CaptainsVoyage with Polo-mint-shaped life belts!

Fingers crossed it keeps working.

Sorry for the change of colours this afternoon - I suddenly remembered what we'd done on the test environment.

Ivy - I don't think this fixes the problems you've asked me to look at (eventually) yet does it?
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              See my Comment (no.7) at #6 above for the garbage thing on the subscrptions page. I should think you can forget that.
              But all the colours seem richer now (or is it my eyes? don't think so). The blue behind the logo certainly seemed better yesterday and is still good today. Can't do it now, but I want to fire up my old netbook (means connecting it up to the router etc. etc.) to get Explorer on it as I think that is a slightly newer version than I have here on the laptop, then i can check on that nice black band below the banner that I can no longer see here on Firefox. Will report later.
              Hey, is the upgrade complete or is there still the final thing to be done - the one Jan-Olave was consulting with the host about today? I ask, because there is a change on the main page with My Subscriptions as a choice at the top. Sure that wasn't there yesterday.

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              What I can do here, which I don't think you can on your account, is to switch between styles. If I go to the default style, there is a deep blue band that the 'Forums', 'Blogs', 'Articles' and 'Groups' options were in. Is that what you meant? If so, that is fixable.

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              How's that?

Oh yippee! A deep blue band has appeared just where it used to be on the previous site. Actually, for my laptop with Firefox it is a richer colour than before, which was so dark I couldn't decide whether it was blue or black. It makes such a difference, don't you think, gives that area definition.
            The man's a marvel.
            But thank you, Mark, i hope you like it that way too.
            Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Interestingly it doesn't do it on the test environment. Gives something to look at. Sainsbury's. Bye.

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Well Ivy - I've learnt a lot today! The error you have found is a known bug in the system! I've eventually found the problem on the vBulletin site where it's logged as issue VBV-17483. It is to do with the server operating system - the test environment was on php7, the live site on php7.1. It is 'fixed' in version 5.3.3. I don't know when that will come out. I do intend to keep the software up to date from now on though, now that I know how to, and now that I can upgrade our test site first to see if it works.

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              It will be a real help if you are able to find time to keep updates going, Mark, and it is good that you'll have the test site on which to check them out. Saves all that nail biting! All thanks to you for your tremendous achievement over the last few days.

You have obviously done a very good job with the upgrade of the forum, Mark
            To me, it works excellent
            Quick to go between the different threads and, not least, posting photos goes faster than ever before.

Thanks again for excellent work, Mark and of course a big thank you to the others who have worked with this as well.
            Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

Interesting little oddities - but utterly unimportant.
              On the Index main page:
              1) Go to main heading Captainsvoyage Forum (-home-) then two lines below that click on Latest Activity. What turns up at the moment is strange. It lists only 2 posts, one is Asimut's of 7 August, since when there have been 10 other posts as I write, the other is Cecilia's from way, way back on 2 August.

2) Go to Latest Activity in the right hand column and click on See All at the bottom, and on that next page I see that a Reply gives the name of the member being replied to whereas if it's a Comment then it is always to "Guest". Understandably, I suppose, the system cannot relate the comment back to the relevant original post as it is one or more step(s) away, so decides it is anon. Ingenious and no problem, anyway.

3) Go to New Topics just above main heading. It is noticeable that the day/time of the posts is not in strict order. Everyone will have their own list, of course, peculiar to them, but I wonder how it defines "New"?

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, and these little things were probably present in the old version. A quick look at the right hand side then one knows where one wants to go and one goes straight there, doesn't one?!
              Anyway, it's all good fun.
              Ivy

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                3. Yes, it was set at latest update. The drop down menu wasn't brilliant but I tried Replies and it came up with a right old mix so I reverted to Latest Update.
                But how's this for a laugh? I tried it on my antique IE. It had a different title in that spot, it said Today's Posts. I clicked on that anyway and it came up with the question about the Titanic. He-he-he! Top secret stuff in today's post, obviously.

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing straightforward then! I notice that the New Topics is potentially more useful - that seems to hold the last thing you've not read until you read it.

Re guests - search on 'last update' will give a completely different answer to 'started post' - one gives the dodgy anonymous guests, the other doesn't. The one with the dodgy 'guests' however gives the right time order, so I've left it as that! Unfixable for us mere mortals I think, but I'll keep an eye on the vB support.

Found the sort order issue, logged as vbv12581 - been around for years - several users complaining!

I can hide the 'guest' commenting issue, but I don't think we need to really. It's annoying but not a major issue I think. Agree?

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                The guest thing is not important as it is obvious where the comment belongs and if an interested member goes to it they will have the whole string attached to the original post. I mentioned it only as an odd quirk and it's not worth bothering about, Mark.
                The only one of my points that could be annoying to someone in a hurry who just wants to do a quick check for new posts on topics they are interested in is the sort order for New Posts. if there has been a sudden rush of members posting on various topics then the list can be long and wading through it to catch an out of order one could take time. But the answer to that is to run the eye down the index itself to the topics you want. One of those things that could be improved but has a simple alternative.
                All is well - full steam ahead.

OMG, I just received an emailed notification!! First one for some years.

Even if the upgrade did nothing else, I would be a happy camper. Many thanks Mark.
              ---------------------------
              Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
              Deck plan geek.

Comment

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi - yes, bit of a shock isn't it! I've had to prune my 'subscribed to' list to avoid getting bombarded.

It will be interesting to see if the emails keep coming - I've got a feeling that last time the web hosts restarted the server we got emails for a little while, but they soon dried up. Hopefully they won't this time.
            Working...
            X