Problem at the OLD FORUM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    Well the first program i tried to use kept crashing 1/2 through the download, not only did it crash it also killed itself totally, would only run again if i reinstalled it. Done that a few times and then chucked it in the bin.

So i am now using another program, it is happily, but slowly working it's way through the old forum. Me being me i have already delved into the files to see what it's doing - it seems to be doing quite well, opening the index brings up the main forum page - looking exactly like it should, and clicking on the various sections and various threads seems to function as normal. It's nowhere near finished copying the site yet, so a fair few threads end abruptly at the moment, but it is getting there. I think the programs got the option to turn off the pc when it's done, so i shall leave it running when i go to bed. Hopefully i will get up in the morning and find my pc switched off.

Not quite sure what i am going to do with my mirror copy of the old forum, but at least we will have it backed up. If only we had thought about doing this long ago, when all the image links were still in place.

Anyway, i am treating this download like a test anyway, if the guys over at 'Forumer' do correct all the altered words, i shall update my files, i think the programs got an update facility where it will scan the site for changes and correct accordingly.
    My download is going fairly well, lost the connection overnight when I switched off the modem (it sits next to a curtain and gets very hot) but picked it up in the same place again this morning.

Question for Pakarang: Do you have ftp access to the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
      My download is going fairly well, lost the connection overnight when I switched off the modem (it sits next to a curtain and gets very hot) but picked it up in the same place again this morning.

Mine is still going, my internet connection is slow. I have over 3 1/2gigs downloaded now. Not sure what size i should expect for the whole forum? The program is making sub directories for any data it is retrieving from other sites, i have quite a few 'photobucket' folders, but all it's storing in there are peoples avatar thumbnails. I cannot see any evidence that the program is following any other links away from site, for example the adverts, it is downloading the advert addresses, but not following on from that. For example, when i run the index file for my mirror copy, i get the advert banner on the page as per normal, but the advert itself is not on my pc, it just trundles off and downloads them as per normal.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Mine is still going, my internet connection is slow. I have over 3 1/2gigs downloaded now. Not sure what size i should expect for the whole forum? The program is making sub directories for any data it is retrieving from other sites, i have quite a few 'photobucket' folders, but all it's storing in there are peoples avatar thumbnails. I cannot see any evidence that the program is following any other links away from site, for example the adverts, it is downloading the advert addresses, but not following on from that. For example, when i run the index file for my mirror copy, i get the advert banner on the page as per normal, but the advert itself is not on my pc, it just trundles off and downloads them as per normal.
        Had to break the download again because of an urgent trip to town- but it seems to be resuming OK. I've set the strings to avoid -*php etc. but am not sure its actually working.

Comment

You are all working so hard on this and I, for one, am very grateful. May you have success.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            You are all working so hard on this and I, for one, am very grateful. May you have success.
            What an idiot I am.. by excluding all php file extensions, I excluded the topics! More worryingly, I got some downloaded pages that appeared to be nothing to do with the forum. Stopped again for the night because I obviously need to keep watching what is happening.

Steve.B- how has your download gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
              What an idiot I am.. by excluding all php file extensions, I excluded the topics! More worryingly, I got some downloaded pages that appeared to be nothing to do with the forum. Stopped again for the night because I obviously need to keep watching what is happening.

Steve.B- how has your download gone?
              I have also just done something rather annoying, i have just spent 3/4 of an hour writing a long post here, but then like a fool i accidentally closed Firefox before posting it! I had another tab open, and when i had finished with it i foolishly closed the whole browser, not just the tab. Darn, firefox even warned me i had another tab open and asked if i really wanted to close it, and i still click 'Quit without saving'! Most annoying. I shall endeavour to re-write it again a bit later. In the meantime.......

I can report complete success! I now have a complete mirror copy of our old forum on my pc. Just open the index file with a browser and there you have the whole site, looking just like it should, all threads and sections working correctly.

In the end it came in at just over 3 GB. So in theory i should be able to burn it to dvd if anyone of our CV family should want a copy of the site in it's current form.

Anyway, i have things to do right now, so i shall have to re-write my other post a bit later. In case i do not get back to it tonight, i shall do it Monday because i am away visiting my children and granddaughter this weekend.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have also just done something rather annoying, i have just spent 3/4 of an hour writing a long post here, but then like a fool i accidentally closed Firefox before posting it! I had another tab open, and when i had finished with it i foolishly closed the whole browser, not just the tab. Darn, firefox even warned me i had another tab open and asked if i really wanted to close it, and i still click 'Quit without saving'! Most annoying. I shall endeavour to re-write it again a bit later. In the meantime.......

I can report complete success! I now have a complete mirror copy of our old forum on my pc. Just open the index file with a browser and there you have the whole site, looking just like it should, all threads and sections working correctly.

In the end it came in at just over 3 GB. So in theory i should be able to burn it to dvd if anyone of our CV family should want a copy of the site in it's current form.

Anyway, i have things to do right now, so i shall have to re-write my other post a bit later. In case i do not get back to it tonight, i shall do it Monday because i am away visiting my children and granddaughter this weekend.
                Well done . I'll not start another download, no sense in duplicating work. Have a good weekend

Comment

No, the free providers does not offer this.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                  Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                  Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Just noticed that the original CVF is no more.http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/ Gone forever. Am i now the only person that's got a complete copy of our old home? Sadly copied after the image links were removed. But still a wealth of information. Guess i should 'back up' my back up, just in case anyone ever needs a copy of it. It is now just a piece of our history and where this wonderful forum first started.

Comment

Just noticed that the original CVF is no more.http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/ Gone forever. Am i now the only person that's got a complete copy of our old home? Sadly copied after the image links were removed. But still a wealth of information. Guess i should 'back up' my back up, just in case anyone ever needs a copy of it. It is now just a piece of our history and where this wonderful forum first started.
                      That's actually a while ago.... I got an e-mail warning from forumer (the providers of the free forum) that our forum had been deleted by them, as part of some re-organizing of their services.

Since they saw no activity (?) there, it was thought of as inactive.

I tried to get some understanding from them, but they were advising me that it was a free service and that there was nothing they could do.

To be honest, I did not like the way they treated their customers (as in us). Yes, it was free, but .....
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                      X