No announcement yet.

Problem at the OLD FORUM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have dipped into the old forum from time to time and, although I saw merely a very small fraction of what was there, I should imagine that it was as much a mine of information and an example of hard work and enthusiasm by members as the present one is. However, being mostly very dependant on pictures to illustrate the text I doubt if very much of the latter could stand alone and still retain interest.
    Would Gaelsail or Steve explain to me how it would look if recreated in website format as opposed to forum? I mean, would text from each thread be gathered into simple pages still titled as was the original thread, but as if each were a record of conversations and/or information posted, without all the gubbins about "Post Reply", avatars, signatures, etc.?
    For Gaelsail to try and seek out all the now useless bits, where the only text is titles of photos that no longer display, and delete them would be an impossible task. Could the editing not be limited to just replacing the "vegetables" with the original words, changing to website format and then give it a place on the present CVF as Steve suggested, calling it Old Forum or some such. At least it would be safe from further damage. It could then, perhaps, be left intact for a while and it may be possible for individual members who feel they had a particularly valuable contribution there to have a go at locating and re-posting their photos to match their titles or little pieces of text on various pages, but still retaining the website appearance. An "as and when" job. If it proves too much of a task because, as Steve points out, of the sheer numbers of photos, then a decision could be made some time in the future on whether or not to delete those fragments which no longer make sense. That, I agree, would apply to quite a lot.
    Once safe in its own place here, perhaps members could salvage at least some of what was once there, given time.

PS. While writing this Seagull gave her own reply above. I agree that it would be a formidable task. But without pressure of time, maybe something would arise, Phoenix-like, out of the ashes.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; February 16th, 2011, 19:25. Reason: Adding PS
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      At the time the issue of missing images first became apparent, I came across this page from a support forum. It seems to say that the combination of an increased spam attack together with being an inactive forum had forced action by Forumer causing our image links to be irretrievably lost.

The associated issue of replaced words is also discussed.

http://fhq.forumer.com/ipb-bug-repor...ks-gone-2.html
      This seems to explain it perfectly, Cecelia, thank you for the link.

I really think that Forumer went about solving their spam issue in totally the wrong way. I cannot help but think it would have been easier, and a great deal fairer on everyone if they had simply suspended access to the affected forums, whilst they got in touch with the forum admin letting them know about the problem. Admin could then have decided on the course of action - run Forumers script and loose all link info, or clean the mess up in their own way. Unbelievable that it was Forumer themselves that done all the damage.

But the damage is done, no point in crying over spilt milk, we just need to move forward and decide for ourselves how to clean the mess up.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

In #19 (9 Feb.) on Forumer's site it says that as soon as he can the programmer will be working on creating a reverse script, and they will reverse all the words that have been changed. Will this help Gaelsail?
        Ivy

Comment

Interesting points Ivy, I am not sure what Gaelsail had in mind, but i agree, any editing in itself will be a massive task. I for one would be up for some editing, but the awkward part will be what to edit. I agree, maybe we should leave it for a few months and give people the chance to edit their own posts, or at least the one's that people feel are important, and then the remaining 'orphaned' posts could be edited out. But in what format it should all be in for the time being i do not know. I have a feeling there will be no easy way to transfer material from the old board to this one. I fear that would be a 'cut and paste' job. Maybe Gaesail has a program that will convert the existing forum into a more conventional style website, but i do not know how we would go about editing it afterwards.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            In #19 (9 Feb.) on Forumer's site it says that as soon as he can the programmer will be working on creating a reverse script, and they will reverse all the words that have been changed. Will this help Gaelsail?
            I had based my assessment of what could be done on what wherrygirl
            saw in her post http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...2055#post52055 and that I saw too when I took a look.

This no longer seems to be the case- because the actual links are now missing instead of just being wrongly coded. This would mean it would be impossible to replace the photographs unless the members were able to do so on their own posts.

As far as reverting the words- yes this would be possible provided we could work out a list of changes to be made.

Rather than risk downloading the website on to even my old laptop, I had started negotiating with an associate who would do the download on to a redundant computer that was no longer of use to anyone.

Once the pages were downloaded, the bits of pages specific to the forums would no longer function and therefore would need to be removed- this would include the search & member areas but it should be possible to otherwise recreate the basic structure.

There would be no real benefit to leaving the edited site where it is, indeed it may not function there, because the software behind the forum and a website with interlinking pages are very different.

I'll wait and see what Pakarang and members want to happen before going ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              Umm, I cannot remember i am afraid. I guess your concerned about the request being genuine, and not from some hacker. I have noticed that once logged in i no longer have the option to edit my own posts, i am not sure if that was removed by our Captain, or whether it was done by someone else.

Interesting idea about downloading the whole forum and recreating it in a website format. In my own view i feel that the old forum needs to be heavily edited, so many of the posts at the moment make no sense at all because the photos that the posts referred to are no longer there. I can see no way of ever retrieving the lost information regarding the photos. The only way i can see it could be done is by members actually trying to match the posts with their photos stored on photobucket etc, but in my view that is out of the question, i myself have only a few dozen photos on photobucket, and the other day i decided to repost some of my posts from the old forum on this one, only half a dozen or so in the dry dock thread, and i struggled to match the photos with my original posts. Many of our members posted hundreds of photos on the old forum, it would be an impossible task for them to match their posts with photos again.

So i feel the only way forward for the old forum is for it to be drastically edited, to be honest i feel that a great deal of it will have to be removed. There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts that make no sense whatsoever without the photo it referred to. So i fear a great deal of the old forum is lost.

Having never worked with a forum control panel, i have no idea how all of the photo and link information was removed, is there a control panel command that automatically removes anysort of http address from posts?, if so, does it remove and delete the information completely, or does it store the information in case the decision is reversed? I just do not know. If it was not done from the control panel, then it must have been done maliciously with some sort of script/program/virus.

I think i will make my way back to the old board and have a closer look at what the situation is really like, just to get a better understanding of just how big a job it will be to put the forum back into somesort of order.

I think all of us here at C.V.F should give some thought to how we proceed. Being realistic, what parts of the old forum do people think are salvageable? Is it worth keeping posts that related to one particular photo?, and don't forget that there will be hundreds like that. Should we keep them, or should they go?

And if we do decide to condense what makes sense, should we leave it where it is on the old board? (bearing in mind that it could be attacked again), do we transfer it to website form?, or should we maybe create a new section on this forum to house all the information?

What do you all think?
              You bring up a lot of questions, I will try to address some of them as best as I can.

The reason why we can no longer edit our own posts might have to do with the fact that the forum is now closed for further posts.

I fear that if you do decide to download the entire forum, you still won't be able to download the images which makes so much of the forum.

The question is as stated above: what do we do with the old board?

Forumer is really low on my list right now: their negligence, and lack of support has really disappointed me.
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

There would be no real benefit to leaving the edited site where it is, indeed it may not function there, because the software behind the forum and a website with interlinking pages are very different.
                I agree with the first part of your sentence, Gaelsail, and although not at all knowledgeable about the software behind forums the rest must also be very true. However, as I said at #31 above, if it is possible to convert the old forum to a series of webpages, if those pages can be posted here in their own section just as if they were long posts by one person, and most of all if you are able to work the miracle, then it might be worth a try. Once it is all here, members can work on their own areas if they so wish and have the time and patience!
                Meanwhile, you are very brave stepping into this particular breach and although I still feel myself a newbie against so many of you, I for one would love to have at least some of that archive back so that I can continue exploring.
                Ivy

Comment

Hey guys – I sincerely believe it is futile to salvage the entire ship. We must start carrying the bits and pieces to shore, like from an old sailship disintegrating on a reef. Internet is somewhat like the sea, you never know how long you’ll stay afloat.
                  This will be the third time I have a dear forum “die” (the two others were aviation forums). When time is short one has to make do with whatever means are available, instead of striving for the perfect solution and end up with nothing when things disappear without warning (capsizing).
                  Will describe my method in detail later, but all you need for now is to read and digest this!!! I’ll start a test-thread to see if it works. Obviously not much sleep for me tonight, but when there’s an emergency all else must wait.

Comment

Originally posted by HARALD JARL View Post
                    Hey guys – I sincerely believe it is futile to salvage the entire ship. We must start carrying the bits and pieces to shore, like from an old sailship disintegrating on a reef. Internet is somewhat like the sea, you never know how long you’ll stay afloat.
                    This will be the third time I have a dear forum “die” (the two others were aviation forums). When time is short one has to make do with whatever means are available, instead of striving for the perfect solution and end up with nothing when things disappear without warning (capsizing).
                    Will describe my method in detail later, but all you need for now is to read and digest this!!! I’ll start a test-thread to see if it works. Obviously not much sleep for me tonight, but when there’s an emergency all else must wait.
                    That looks like a lot of work rather than doing an automated download of the generated web pages but, if its working, great

I'll delay involving my colleague unless there is a need because it will cost me ££

Comment

Oh dear, it definitely is no substitute for what you are suggesting, as they will not show exactly like real.
                      Please continue looking into your solution, it will take days for me to get sorted and try different methods.

In order to show whole threads I'll try saving word-files as .pdf-files and post here, but that's secondary.
                      Main idea is to copy to Word so that we can use the text and add the pictures we have on HDD, for reconstruction.

I don't mind the work at all, as it is for a good cause and as mentioned I've used this salvage procedure before.

Just panicked when I realized the old forum is "disintegrating", traumatic memories from other forums that got lost.
                      Regret not having had enough energy to participate much in here the last few years, but this is very important...
                      Last edited by HARALD JARL; February 17th, 2011, 15:17.

Comment

Originally posted by HARALD JARL View Post
                        Just panicked when I heard and saw the old forum start to "disintegrate", traumatic memories from other forums that got lost.
                        Regret not having had enough energy to participate much in here the last few years, but this is important...
                        We all feel the same, it's horrible to see what's happened to our old home. Obviously we face a massive task sorting out the mess. I think some sort of automated transfer is the way forward, doing it manually is always possible, but would take a very long time.

At the moment i have a free program busy downloading the forum to my computer, but so far i am having problems getting it to do what i want. But i shall keep playing with it. You never know, i might have some luck. It's downloaded 27000 files so far! But don't worry, i have set parameters that prevents it following links away from the server that the forum is on. (Said he hopefully!).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                          We all feel the same, it's horrible to see what's happened to our old home. Obviously we face a massive task sorting out the mess. I think some sort of automated transfer is the way forward, doing it manually is always possible, but would take a very long time.

At the moment i have a free program busy downloading the forum to my computer, but so far i am having problems getting it to do what i want. But i shall keep playing with it. You never know, i might have some luck. It's downloaded 27000 files so far! But don't worry, i have set parameters that prevents it following links away from the server that the forum is on. (Said he hopefully!).
                          I'm sure that between us, we can sort this out. Steve- good luck with the download, I'll get one started too and along with HARALD JARL's hard work; I'm sure we'll manage something.

Comment

Good luck to all three of you. Onward, ever onward!
                            Ivy

Comment

How wonderful to be member of a competent and good-natured team like you guys!

Better to concentrate on copying from Hurtigruten-forum the treads that I enjoyed so much, just to calm myself down...

Good luck with the download, will keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Well the first program i tried to use kept crashing 1/2 through the download, not only did it crash it also killed itself totally, would only run again if i reinstalled it. Done that a few times and then chucked it in the bin.

So i am now using another program, it is happily, but slowly working it's way through the old forum. Me being me i have already delved into the files to see what it's doing - it seems to be doing quite well, opening the index brings up the main forum page - looking exactly like it should, and clicking on the various sections and various threads seems to function as normal. It's nowhere near finished copying the site yet, so a fair few threads end abruptly at the moment, but it is getting there. I think the programs got the option to turn off the pc when it's done, so i shall leave it running when i go to bed. Hopefully i will get up in the morning and find my pc switched off.

Not quite sure what i am going to do with my mirror copy of the old forum, but at least we will have it backed up. If only we had thought about doing this long ago, when all the image links were still in place.

Anyway, i am treating this download like a test anyway, if the guys over at 'Forumer' do correct all the altered words, i shall update my files, i think the programs got an update facility where it will scan the site for changes and correct accordingly.
                                Last edited by Steve.B; February 18th, 2011, 04:18. Reason: Correction

Comment

Working...
                                X