Problems with Photobucket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with Photobucket

Although I so don’t like the new Photobucket and didn’t change over until it became compulsory, the first week or so wasn’t too bad, give or take the need for an extra click or two here and there. Then this morning some photos I’d just uploaded ready to post in CVF weren’t where I expected them to appear at the top of the album thumbnails.

As I’m sure I’ve explained to you many a time, I ONLY use Photobucket in order to get the IMG codes for posting already reduced size photos for CVF (i.e. optimised as I wish them to appear on CVF). When the current “album” reaches the allowed maximum 2500 images, I simply start a new one!

After much searching and VERY unladylike swearing, which I feel ashamed to even admit to on our friendly polite family forum, I eventually found an explanation. The reason for the photo’s displacement was hidden deep within some of the also very difficult-to-find FAQ-type help comments:-

Quote:
    “If you migrated your account from the old Photobucket, the new sorting features might seem confusing. On the old site, “upload date” was used as the way to determine Newest/Oldest First sort order in your albums, instead of the new “Time Taken” method. Newly uploaded images that were taken long ago may be sorted to the end or middle of the album due to its Time Taken date. If you upload a photo that was taken days/months/years ago, it will be sorted within your album and can be found with images taken around the same date.”

Having calmed down a bit, I got more un-calm again trying to find how I could personally communicate with the new Photobucket, but have now managed to ask if there is an option to sort most recently UPLOADED first. I’ll let you know if I get a reply!

Comment

• kiki42
      kiki42 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Cecelia.. I dont like the new Photobucket, find it more confusing , and when i tried to enlarge my moscow photo it comes out blurred, think I will need to do some again from my computer photo gallery . if you go into library it says order by , and a choice of newest first , oldest first , title, file name. is that what you are looking for ? xx

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      None of those "order by" options sort my photos in exactly the way the old Photobucket did, but there is now something on the left called "Recent Uploads" with which I can SOMETIMES find photos I know I've uploaded but can't locate!!!!

• kiki42
      kiki42 commented
      Editing a comment
      hi Cecelia, on the lefte side i have a list of all my album titles so I did manage to see all my old photos .. I have been trying to add a heading to my London photos but haven't found a way to add a title London Album. It hasn't been good at changing the size of photos, compared to before , and I dont know how some Moscow ones are so small now. I am going to send a message to them to say it is more complicated now i prefer the old format.

Used the wrong thread!
    Last edited by wherrygirl; May 4th, 2013, 18:01.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I have this problem:
      When uploading a picture from Photobucket, they appear unsharp in the forum. Everybody think I'm a lousy photographer, which I ain't.
      I copy the tag, and paste it in my post.
      What's wrong?
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

I don't have had this problem before, so i can't offer other help then describing how i do it.

1. I open an album in the library.
        2. I move with my mouse arrow to the picture i want to post. A gear wheel appears in the upper right corner of the pic.
        3. I move the arrow on this gear wheel. A list of things to do appears. I click on "get links".
        4. In the next window i click on the URL under "IMG codes". I flashes yellow and sais "copied".
        5. Now i paste the link into the forum.

I don't assume that you are doing any size reductions while uploading or editing picture in photobucket? Me don't, so i have no experience with that.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank You Ralf. This pix of Midnatsol docking in Molde is posted following your instructions.

Last edited by Sigve; August 23rd, 2013, 09:31.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

I have no idea, if this result is satisfying you more or not. In my opinion this is what you get with PB. But i must also admit, that i have no reason to claim about the pictures made with my small Canon PowerShot.
            Last edited by Ralf__; August 23rd, 2013, 12:23.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hi Sigve, Did I understand correctly that (as Ralf assumed) you didn't edit or resize your photo in any way, either in Photobucket or with other processing software?

I just looked at the Image Info of this photo in CVF, and it is 1024 x 683 pixels. So is that the size you actually uploaded to Photobucket?...the size of photo your camera produces?

I'm trying to see if the New Photobucket is actually resizing the photo without telling you.That could maybe make it look less sharp.

Comment

I use Photobucket and have done so ever since I started posting in any forum.

I'm one of those who waited the longest before I was "forced" over to the new PB.

After going PB Pro...., and since I started useing the new PB, I've had no problems..., they even added a feature I missed from the old PB after telling them so.

All my images that you see in a forum, be it this one or any other, are scaled down to 800 or 900 x whatever, all sized after the cropping I do.
                I scale down before uploading to PB.

But remember:
                All pictures, even shot by Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Lumix or any other camera, as long as they are digital (and most are today), the pictures have to be sharpened in a photoprogramme as they always come out of a camera just a fractiom blurred.
                I read something about this, and it has to do with how a digital camera save an image. Nothing you can do about it, other than sharp it afterwards.

But I guess every photographer know that already.
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Edit made 2013-Nov-16:
                  Please note that this post was made at the time of the older vBulletin forum software. The images used here as illustrations are no longer displayed as described, because the new forum software CVF now uses itself resizes anything larger than width 960 pixels to 960.
                  However, as regards Photobucket, the set-up instructions described still apply in dealing with images wider than 1024 pixels.

If the size of photo you uploaded to Photobucket was GREATER than 1024 pixels wide, how it ends up on the link to e.g. CVF depends on a user setting in Photobucket.
                  I just tried this experiment:-

I think you’ll agree the bottom photo, displaying at 1204 pixels width, is sharper than the top photo, displaying at 1024 pixels width.

They are actually the exact same photo that I uploaded to photobucket, and it is 1204 pixels wide.
                  The only difference in the two uploads is that I changed my user settings.

So if your original photo you uploaded to photobucket was indeed larger than 1024, try this:

1. On your Home page in Photobucket, click on your username in the black top bar, Select User Settings on the drop down list.
                  2. Click on the Albums tab.
                  3. Under “Upload Options”, click on “Customise upload options”.
                  4. In the Upload Options window that appears, tick the “Display my linked photos in their original size” box (the 1024 button remains lit).
                  5. Click “Save” in the Upload Options window.
                  (Sometimes this doesn’t quite work first click…if this happens click "Save" again. It should briefly say "Success! That click paid off” in a green bar at the top, and the Upload Options window disappears.)

6. Finally, click “Save” on the albums page to update the settings (again, if you see an orange warning bar, try again until you see a green bar saying “Success! Your settings were updated”).

(Note: I leave this ticked setting on permanently. If I upload a smaller photo which I have already sized to e.g. 900 pixels wide in other image processing software, I’ll get a link in Photobucket that will display in the original 900 wide size in CVF.
                  Also note that in the case of larger than 1024 photos, you’ll still see them reduced to 1024 when viewing them in Photobucket itself, but the link will still display the larger size on CVF.)
                  Last edited by Seagull; November 16th, 2013, 13:24. Reason: Subsequent change of vBulletin software used on this Forum

Comment

This is how I do it (no guarantee that this is the right way):

In my album, I click the image:

I then get the image up like this, and copy the IMG-tag at the right side of the image:

Then past it into the post. As you can see, the image tag (IMG) then ends with the phrase "~original[/IMG]"

If I'm not mistaken, you first need to go to settings and set some settings to for example resolution 1280x____ (which I normally use as size).

Hope this helps.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

We have been discussing the quality loss when posting pictures in the new forum.
                      I found a way which I now use.
                      The secret is sharpening the pictures before uploading. I think every picture editing program has a sharpening tool. Use it.
                      This is what I do:
                      1. Resize the picture to 1024 pixels wide (960?) and 72 PPI resolution.
                      2. Sharpen it. I use the Photoshop filter Unsharp Mask with these settings: Amount 15%, Radius 150 pixels, Treshold 1 level.
                      3. Save and upload to Photobucket.

This appears to be a tough sharpening, but it works very well, and gives the pictures a crisp brilliance as well.
                      If there is a quality loss after this when posting, it isn't so noticeable, and our family do not have to think I’m a lousy photographer who takes unsharp pictures.
                      Have a try.

This is Polarlys on Harøyfjorden near Bud a summer night, seen from Ergan Kystfort, Bud:

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---

Comment

Oh Sigve dear, I'm so sorry I omitted to specifically mention sharpening in all the various discussions there have been in various threads about picture quality. I suppose that is because I have always been in the habit of sharpening when resizing, so I hardly think about it!

Indeed it is actually because of the fact that resizing looses sharpness that I try to ensure that there aren't extra resizings going on "behind my back" within the photo storage sites and forum or other web-publishing software!

Comment

• kiki42
                          kiki42 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Cecelia . I am lost with CV never mind photobucket...lol I have just answered a post that you did way back. .... Yes I dont like the new set up with Photobucket, and trying to change the size of a photo it was blurred. . you have probably soved the previous problem in March .lol
                          Last edited by kiki42; November 18th, 2013, 18:49. Reason: added words

Ideas anyone?
                        For some time now I have been experiencing a "hang" when going online first time for the day. At first it was just now and again but latterly it has been a daily occurrence and lasted anything up to 6 minutes, once it was 10. The laptop is left on all day when I'm at home, but not online. Subsequent goings online each day were fine. In addition scrolling, moving between threads or websites and typing posts were painful, with delays between clicking or keyboard taps and appearance on screen. Further, notices kept appearing saying that "A script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding" Telling it to shut up I would return to my browsing. Sometimes the notice would say "Shockwave may be busy......"
                        While waiting yesterday for the screen to "unhang" I noticed bottom left "Waiting for sb.scorecardresearch.com". Who the devil were they? As soon as I could I Googled it. Gleanings were mixed. Some said it was a virus that no antivirus software seemed able to scotch, some said a bug, others didn't know but all agreed it was a damn nuisance. I was no wiser.
                        I use Firefox in Vista and had 5 tabs permanently open, one of which was Photobucket.
                        All my photos are on Flickr - I grumble at the way they keep fiddling about with that and regret the old style, but that is a thing apart. I use Photobucket only for anything I post on the What Place is This thread as they are not my own photos but usually from Wiki Commons, duly attributed as required.. Similarly for the City of Adelaide images I copied over (with their full approval and encouragement.)
                        Yesterday afternoon, with the time lapse between clicking and screen appearance getting worse and after much swearing and cussing at my poor laptop I was Googling something and studying the resultant page, my only action being to scroll slowly down as I read. Suddenly the screen switched to the Photobucket tab and the usual notice appeared. I switched back and carried on browsing. It happened again. That did it. I closed Photobucket.
                        Last evening, as I was PMing Thijs, speed (such as my rotten typing will allow) was back to normal. Delightedly I switched to the main page and switched between threads with instant response. This morning I went online at great speed. Not a hang in sight.
                        I have IE but use it only when I pop up to the study to do a quick Google for information on something. I keep no permanent tabs on it so, not having to load them, it is quicker. I tried it briefly with several tabs open but nothing happened. However, this was for only a brief time so not a true test.
                        Has anyone any explanation/experience of this problem? Also, do I really need the Shockwave add-on? I don't watch videos or films, apart from the occasional YouTube that someone posts on the Forum. Though without the Photobucket tab open maybe it doesn't matter.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; June 30th, 2014, 15:04.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• kiki42
                          kiki42 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Ivy, I have McAfee security, and all my windows security as well,. McAfee are very good at blocking unsafe sites, and that always happens when I am on Photobucket. I have now worked out how to post my photos to CV but it is so confusing . I have a list of my albums but when I go to add something to the album I want, it says i dont have one, and it goes into bucket... So many empty spaces last time I tried, on their page, I just find it not so reliable now and safe to use. I have no problems with Facebook and youtube,,, but I find i have no more than 2 tabs open at the one time, as it was advised that too many tabs open slowed the laptop down and it was less secure . I now have JT fibre at 50 speed,, that is standard now with the change over..... I dont really download lots of things , so not that important. I always close everything down as well..... I have found anything with funny names are usually better avoided... Have you tried putting the names you have no idea who they are into the scams page through google, it gives information on any scams.. I was quite surprised last time I did that . I think you have much more knowledge about computers than me.... ... .. i am not very technical , and hate when things go wrong,,,, so I trust my security to stop anything coming through . xx

Have never had any problems with FB from the day I got the pro at $25,-/year.
                        Only thing I'm not satisfied with is that they had taken away the 'View All' button to line up all pages so that it was only to scroll through them all.
                        Now, when searching, I have to click into every new page. Timeconsuming...
                        Sorry for not being of any help, just wanted to tell how things work at my place.
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I have just added a sunset photo from Photobucket.... Their page is all mixed and a lot missing, it took a while to try and add the photo..., but it went through... I have never liked Photobucket since they changed it all . ,, dont seem to be able to add anything to the albums I already have, so everything just keeps going into bucket... and my security keeps saying they have blocked a site when I go into Photobucket... I find there are more adverts showing as well when you are on their page..

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
                          X