Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selecting an appropriate user name - fighting spammers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting an appropriate user name - fighting spammers.

Due the problem of spamming, all user registration settings have now been updated with more effective parameters and all new members will as of this moment have to be approved by Administrator prior to their first post. New users registering will also have to pass an additional entry question to get that far.

Though these are not completely fool proof methods as some spammer bots work with help of "real" humans, it will hopefully reduce greatly the number of spams in the future and in best case eliminate this ugly - and very impolite - problem.

In this regard, effective immediately, when choosing a user name, new members will be required to either use their full or parts of their name, a nickname or a phrase which is easily identifiable. Website addresses are not accepted as user name.

From now, user names with a combination of random letters and numbers are no longer accepted.
    With kind regards,

Jan-Olav Storli
    Administrator and Owner CaptainsVoyage Forum / CaptainsVoyage.com

Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/

I could have fun with the CV entrance exam. There would be a secret handshake and a written quiz to join.

1. What is the Norway?
    a. a country in Scandinavia
    b. the most beautiful ship in the world
    c. the ex SS France
    d. all of the above

2. What is the correct spelling of the Norweigan coastal ferry company?
    a. Huritgooben
    b. Hurtigruten
    c. Hutiggrutten
    d. none of the above

Comment

Actually, that is not a bad idea pilotdane!

It is actually possible to make that entrance questions (so, I may very well do that). No bots or their (Russian?) masters knows those questions!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        I could have fun with the CV entrance exam. There would be a secret handshake and a written quiz to join.
        Oh, couldn't we have fun thinking up questions for Captain to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q- What causes Dengue Fever?
        Q- Name a brand of Digital Photography enhancement software.
        Q- Define: Bow, Stern, Port, Starboard.

Comment

I would like to throw out a quick question to you all dear members:

Why your user name, what made you use that particular user name?

For my user name, pakarang, it was chosen to commemorate so many dear friends and a place where I tragically lost a very high number of them. The name pakarang comes from a beach close to the Pakarang Cape in Thailand: a place which was heavily damaged during the tsunami back in 2004. Hotels, bars, restaurants and dear friends were swept to sea and some were never seen again.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hmmn, well, with my family coming from Southampton and my beloved Southampton FC (well not at the moment, they're rubbish) that's my origin of SaintsFCFan. Not very original, but I'm useless at choosing usersnames.
            On another note, much respect to you Jan-Olav. That can't have been an easy memory for you. So I bow to you sir!
            Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

No creativity here...ehp..my initials..."maisoncourouge" was too long to type.. Jan-Olav DID offer to change me to "tsarina" when he found out that was/is the nickname my high school friend's call me...but I told him I wanted to stay with ehp....

Pronounced like the roadrunner, right, Captain?? mehhp mehhp

Comment

I am a pilot and my name is Dane.

OK, so I am not very creative.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  OK, so I am not very creative.
                  Dane, we have other redeeming qualities..................

Comment

I am sure some of you already have guessed what my nickname stands for
                    My initials and my homeplace..
                    "I may not be able to control the wind, but I can adjust my sails."

Enthusiastically regards
                    Torbjørn Nybø

Comment

I am less creative than most of you. My first name is Øistein with the Scandinavian letter Ø first.
                      Aviation companys maltreat my name by using OE instead of the letter Ø.

I myself and a lot of others with names that include the letter Ø just quit the / and use the letter O.
                      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Well...., then I guess it's my turn to explain Sterkoder.

STERKODER was a Nordic mythology war hero. The name STERKODER meant "a strong and able fighter".
                        The mythologic god Odin had given Sterkoder all the qualities a war hero should have, like exeptional courage and great strength.
                        Besides that, the god Thor had given Sterkoder an extended life by three generations.

Sterkoder Ship Yard was formed in 1916, and all my life I've lived just 200 meters from the yard, and we small guys even used it as a playground after school. (Imagine small boys standing at the bridge of not yet finished ships, playing captains and all.... It was a great time. Of course it was not allowed, but it was long before the high fences, security companies and ISPS).

Then both my grandfather and father had their work there after going ashore from being sailors....., so me choosing STERKODER as a nick was an easy decision.

So, now y'all know.....
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh that story is so charming!!! Gives me a big smile!! I can see you as a little boy, climbing around such wonderful playtoys!!!!!!

Comment

Some may have seen this image before, but here you can see the short distance between my childhood home and the "playground". The unfinished ship there will be the sistership of the orange/red one at the dock...
                            The picture was taken in 1974 and I was 11 years old

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh, how the view has changed! I can recognize the area but looking at the details makes me smile: look at the cars and the houses... how time flies.

We lived very close to eachother during my two first months of Maritime Academy at Kristiansund... I think it was Dalegata 54 or 57 or something like that (same side of the road as the shipyard - just outside the right edge of the photo): horrible small room in the basement, damp and very moist, overpriced and a tiny restroom under the stairs... Ohh... those days!

Comment

Working...
                              X