X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks promising - and free - the only risk would be whether we could successfully import all of the existing vBulletin forum (it's HUGE!).

From what I can find, before vB5 we could have done that (and I did successfully create a PHPBB forum version using our data from the database prior to moving to vB5) - but we've been on this version for a couple of years, so I think we're stuck with it. vBulletin completely changed the structure of the databases after vB5 (presumably to make it harder for people to move between forum software?).

Hopefully J-O will let us try to upgrade to one of the 'fault-fixed' versions of vBulletin at some stage when he and I have some time at the same time!
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      The other forum I was talking about is much bigger and has existed longer on vBulletin than CVF.
      So far it appears that there have been few problem with the migration to their new home.
      I don't know how hard they worked to make the transition though.

PS> Less photos though, which May be an issue for bandwidth and storage requirements?

• Interesting, very interesting - especially the FREE part of it, because vBulletin and the webhoster is as far away from FREE as they possibly can be.

I would be very interested in anything to avoid the 3-4.000 kroner a year it costs to run as we run today (donations are unfortunately not enough to pay for this party).

Let's find a time - I know I have said that so many times in the past as well, but something is always coming in my way of finding the right time to do it.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Hi - OK, so to reawaken this thread - hopefully with some good news.

So far all research suggests that it's impossible to upgrade from vB5 to anything else. The previous version of software was fine (as in the example that Ombugge found), but the software company changed the structure of the database in a peculiar way during the move to vB5. Plenty of filters and systems to do the vB4 upgrade (and as I've said, I made that work before), but not from this version.

Thanks to Jan Olav's hard work, we now have all the access rights and login details to at least upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 5, 5.3.2, which is covered by the software deal we already have (we believe).

I've been backing up the files and databases, and over the next few days I'll make sure that we have a copy of the database ready for an instant switch in case we need to revert to a known (dodgy!) state.

After that, we should be able to then update the software, and then if it works, we should be able to spend a little while seeing how it behaves.

We'll let you know before we do anything rash. Any other software, I'd just update server side and not tell you about, this bulletin software seems to be a little less robust though. Hope that makes sense.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a good plan, thank you for trying. Good luck!

• Such dedication and effort from you guys ...lykke til

Comment

• Will do some bits and pieces over the weekend. There may just occasionally be times when the forum isn't available - but hopefully not.

I'll post on here if anything fundamental is changing and if anything odd is happening.

One major thing I have found is that we're running on a much earlier version of the server operating system - I'm hoping that changing that may make a (positive) difference!!

Just being paranoid to minimise the chances of losing any of our hard work! I know we're 100% safe up to the major upgrade, I'm just protecting the changes since then.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll leave you to it ...Serenissima thread continuation won't be back until after the distractions of TV viewing at D's during an F1 weekend!
          (And Tommi - Hungary is often considered to be practically a home grand prix for all the flag-waving Finnish fans who traditionally turn up there - and you all know which F1 driver I support!)

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          And the Hungarian language is closely related to the Finnish, but they don't understand eachother anyway... :-)

• I don't know how interested anyone is in the mechanics of this, but so far today I've managed to download the latest version of the vB software ready to upload again, and I've created a separate copy of our data on a different server. We're allowed one 'offline' test version of the software, so I'm busily trying to get that up and running. This is currently running the upgrade from our existing system to the latest version on the test system.

Hopefully nothing I do will affect the main server for a little while.

The one thing I can't guarantee though is that at some stage we may get deluged with emails as all the notifications we haven't received come through the system. I will try to prevent that - but I can't guarantee it.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Test environment now up and running quite happily on another, closed, domain with the data from a couple of days ago.

One problem I have to fix before we change the main one though - all the ĉ, ĝ, ċ, trademark symbols etc are not being read properly from the database. Probably a simple language setting but I have to find it.

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Language issue fixed. We'll try to break the test environment, then we can go for the live site upgrade shortly. It does seem hugely quicker on the test version, so hopefully it will be on the main one too.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Mark, you're a wizard at this. You are spending so much time on sorting it all out and, knowing how determined you are to check and double check all the fine details, I think that we can all rest assured that the whole caboodle is in safe hands. I very much appreciate what you're doing.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• We are all very thankful that you spend your time struggling with the bells and whistles of the servers.

Comment

• Dear all....

Please send all your greatest THANK YOU's to PoloUK - he has done an AMAZING job with all the technical nitty-gritty stuff of updating and backing up.

Without PoloUK's wondeful and dedicated help, we would NEVER have been able to do and be what we are today!

I'm in eternal gratefulness for all the help and assistance - I can't even begin to understand how I could ever think I could do this alone! The task is massive for one person alone, but with the help of PoloUK, it has all been made possible.

Please don't thank me - direct all your appreciation to PoloUK for all the work behind the scenes. The stuff he has been doing and are continouing to do - is a mix of Greek, Cantoneese and Ukrainian to me.... way above my own skills and level of knowledge!

This is a great step forward for all of us!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH PoloUK!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• We haven't fixed it yet! We've just got a working test environment.

We'll give that a few days to see if we can break it, if we can't then we'll try to update the main site.

It could yet go horribly wrong.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It may go wrong or not - but thanks for the effort!!!

• Today's update - Cecilia and Ĝistein have both accessed the test environment and successfully navigated around the forum's twin, between us we've used a few different types of browser and computer.

Cecilia did find one feature missing (Comments. Something quite important!) but I've found the setting to turn that back on.

Performance on the new one seems considerably faster, PMs are much better, and some of the other more obvious bugs have been fixed too. It's not without faults, but it's looking good.

We'll keep trying for a couple of days, and then with J-O's agreement we'll set a date and try to update the main site.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great job! Thank you so much for this enormous work. This is a very important step to keep it alive. I will be very happy, if we get rid of this annoying version.

• Latest update: Cecilia, Ĝistein and Jan Olav have all been hammering the new forum to see if they can break it.

We've had a few minor things that we've managed to fix as we've gone along, the only outstanding issue is one to do with Firefox on Mac (it doesn't work for J-O, it does for me!).

Yesterday a new patch level (minor update of software) came out, and the system managed to update in about 10 minutes, so hopefully we'll be able to stay up to date with the new system.

I have a slight concern that the database for the new version is much smaller than the original, but we seem to have all the old posts, so that may just be a sign of how dodgy version 5.0.4 was.

We'll keep testing and go for an update when we're confident all is well.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking good - extremely good!

• Tommi
                    Tommi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thumbs up & all happy faces!

• Well, that didn't go too well!

All the backups ran beautifully, then we took the jump to the new world.

I changed the operating system to a newer version of php, uploaded the files. And then the world stopped.

We could either find a version of php that worked with the type of database we're using, or we could have the correct version of database.

I was going to reinstate the new version on my server, but have given up on that because the database was taking a long time to rebuild.

So ... for now ... we're where we were this morning. I hope to goodness that this keeps working.

J-O will talk to Webhuset (our web hosts) tomorrow, and hopefully they can sort us out. I think I know what we're asking. It seems that my server has a library of software that vBulletin needs, but that doesn't exist on Webhuset.

Sorry!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Sorry to read this Mark,but hopefully Webhuset can sort this out.
                    Anyway,thank you very much for your hard work with this forum update and everything else.
                    Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

• PoloUK
                      PoloUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Bengt. Every time we do anything with this we learn a little, so hopefully we're not too far away from the upgrade now.
                  Working...
                  X